By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who brought the most innovations in the console market? Last decade?

Which company?

Microsoft 118 19.16%

Sony 156 25.32%

Nintendo 339 55.03%

Total:613

Definitely beteen M$ and Nintendo. I voted Ninty without stopping to think, but what M$ has done with online gaming has had a massive effect on basically every major title released last gen. That said, Nintendo basically introduced and popularized an entirely new way to play, giving birth to a new breed of gamer, so I dunno.

Around the Network

Nintendo cause they made motion controls more appealing than any other company and made 3d bearable with the 3ds... Its not about making something first imo, its about making it appealing and applicable to the consumer

As much as I would love to say MS with the online, with a price of $60/year which imo, is terrible

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

apple, because if handhels are consoles, phones are too

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

If the Playstation Eye had been successful initially, would most responses be different?

What is the criteria here? Innovation, period, or commercially successful innovation?

Personally, my favorite innovation to come out of last gen is PS+.

The console market? I'd go with Nintendo, followed by Microsoft, followed by Sony.

Nintendo introduced motion control gaming, brought in a larger audience, made touch interfaces the default even on non-Nintendo platforms, is largely responsible for the retro revival of recent years, etc. If the console market grew at all from Gen 6 to Gen 7, it was because of Nintendo.

Microsoft didn't invent online play or anything, but their actions, including paywalls, a stronger emphasis, achievements, etc, have come to define it. However, they lose some points because PC gaming and the Dreamcast. did some of this first

Sony's hardware hasn't done much other than add Blue-Ray, their games, though new IP's rarely add much new to their respective genres, and even their truly remarkable actions, like the success of PS+, have not quite reached their full potential yet. The past 10 years have mostly been defined by them being the relatively "vanila" company on the market, which has both worked for and against them at various points.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

MS and Nintendo for sure.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

I say Nintendo...

GameCube was first console to have wireless controller, add-on that allowed you to play Gameboy games on TV and usage of GBA by linking to GC which allowed cross platform local multiplayer or even act as a secondary screen like DS.

Wii introduced a fully fledged controller with motion controls, first built in web browser into a console which also played videos and first console to have WIFI also allowed SD cards for expansion of storage.

Nintendo - Started the motion control craze, but it ultimately ended up as a fad and the whole thing quickly died off.

Microsoft - Made a huge push in online gaming for consoles, since it's still a huge part of gaming today I think this was the most innovative.

Sony - Pushed blu-ray as the new standard, even Microsoft started using the tech with their new console. Still not as innovative as online gaming but it's held on a lot longer than motion controls.

So Microsoft probably made the biggest innovation in the last decade, Sony was the most innovative in the early 2000s and late 90s, and Nintendo in the early 90s and late 80s.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Microsoft, they basically created the current online system, gamertags, achievements, indie and downloadable games, demos, in game chat, marketplace etc. They've

Nintendo's motion controls were a fad that's thankfully dead now and the wII u tablet is a complete failure. An innovation is something that is adopted and becomes standard, a fad is something that lasts a short time and is then forgotten. Nintendo didn't support the machine long term and didn't even follow up their next console with motion controls so I fail to see how that something so "innovative" is never touch again and meanwhile a console without online would be unheard of now and in the future.

Sony's blu rays have not killed the dvd after nearly a decade of competing.

Salnax said:
The console market? I'd go with Nintendo, followed by Microsoft, followed by Sony.

Nintendo introduced motion control gaming, brought in a larger audience, made touch interfaces the default even on non-Nintendo platforms, is largely responsible for the retro revival of recent years, etc. If the console market grew at all from Gen 6 to Gen 7, it was because of Nintendo.

Microsoft didn't invent online play or anything, but their actions, including paywalls, a stronger emphasis, achievements, etc, have come to define it. However, they lose some points because PC gaming and the Dreamcast. did some of this first

Sony's hardware hasn't done much other than add Blue-Ray, their games, though new IP's rarely add much new to their respective genres, and even their truly remarkable actions, like the success of PS+, have not quite reached their full potential yet. The past 10 years have mostly been defined by them being the relatively "vanila" company on the market, which has both worked for and against them at various points.

Couldn't have said it better myself.