By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is great about Super Mario 3D World?

Tagged games:

you are still on the "meh" stages.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:
JazzB1987 said:
almost every single stage is more innovative than most of the games out there are. NIntendo has an idea and makes 1 level out of it while others base the whole game around that single idea.

I disagree with the wording.

I would word it... "Mario limits certain levels to certain styles of gameplay while other games offer players to utilise numerous styles of gameplay in almost all levels e.g. COD, GTA, infamous"

The number of 'ideas' available to a gamer at any single point is greater in most other games than it is in mario. Even if we add up all the unique 'ideas' throughout the entire game, Mario would not come out on top.

How does COD offer anything besides shooting? Dont tell me reloading and throwing grenades counts as different gameplay elements :)

And I am not only talking about gameplay. Also about level design etc. Rythm based level, circus themed level, shadow level etc.... The whole package.

Gta e.g is and always was  you are a random guy in an open world doing cool missions plaqued by cheating cops and stupid ally A.I.
You also cannot buy clothes while doing a mission while visiting the strip club so the  number of activities available to you at any given time is exactly like it is in mario. You either do missions or enjoy the minigames both at the same time does not work.  

Mario limits the "shadow gameplay" to the "shadow level"    GTA limits strippers to the strip club and the "KILL PERSON X" gameplay to the "KILL PERSON X" mission. You cannot tell a stripper to visit Michaels home and stip for you while you watch the liveinvader livestream and make the guys head explode.

It's a good 3D Land sequel.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

the gratness come from the fact that every stage is unique.(if we do not count the mushromm and flower worlds).
in 3d land, the elements we have seen in a stage was in anothers. the sense that i was here before.
in 3d World not. so much content, so many stages, and every one is unique!

JazzB1987 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
JazzB1987 said:
almost every single stage is more innovative than most of the games out there are. NIntendo has an idea and makes 1 level out of it while others base the whole game around that single idea.

I disagree with the wording.

I would word it... "Mario limits certain levels to certain styles of gameplay while other games offer players to utilise numerous styles of gameplay in almost all levels e.g. COD, GTA, infamous"

The number of 'ideas' available to a gamer at any single point is greater in most other games than it is in mario. Even if we add up all the unique 'ideas' throughout the entire game, Mario would not come out on top.

How does COD offer anything besides shooting? Dont tell me reloading and throwing grenades counts as different gameplay elements :)

And I am not only talking about gameplay. Also about level design etc. Rythm based level, circus themed level, shadow level etc.... The whole package.

Gta e.g is and always was  you are a random guy in an open world doing cool missions plaqued by cheating cops and stupid ally A.I.
You also cannot buy clothes while doing a mission while visiting the strip club so the  number of activities available to you at any given time is exactly like it is in mario. You either do missions or enjoy the minigames both at the same time does not work.  

Mario limits the "shadow gameplay" to the "shadow level"    GTA limits strippers to the strip club and the "KILL PERSON X" gameplay to the "KILL PERSON X" mission. You cannot tell a stripper to visit Michaels home and stip for you while you watch the liveinvader livestream and make the guys head explode.

"How does COD offer anything besides shooting? Dont tell me reloading and throwing grenades counts as different gameplay elements :) "

Thats like saying 'how does Mario offer anything else except jumping. Dont tell me jumping on differently moving blocks or being upside down counts as different gameplay elements :) '

In COD you get different perks, different attachments, different guns. All change the play style and tempo of the game. In different game modes you can use whichever combination you want and change it according to the enemies, maps and the situation of the match.

Even in singleplayer you can decide whether you want to run and gun, play it safe and go cover to cover, or go stealth (unless the story has lead you into a situation where your enemies are aware of you). If you want, you can stick with the same gun, or you can take the enemies gun, or use fixed emplacements.

And thats just an fps. If you have a game like GTA, MGS or hitman, theres even more options available and different paths to completion.

Sure in GTA you have to kill someone, but thats like saying in Mario you have to reach the end of the level. The final objective is not the point of the debate. The point is the variety with which you can complete the final objective and its far far greater in many other games than it is in mario.

Around the Network

It's great for the exact same reasons that every 3D Mario game is great: top-notch gameplay and top-notch level design.

And on top of that, in the eye candy department it's stunning. The reviewer that said that after playing this game he/she realised that everyone else had been doing HD wrong was entirely correct. It can easily stand next to the best that the PS4 and One can offer without looking out of place and completely obliterates anything that the PS3 and 360 are capable of.

Like others have said, the first 3 worlds are for n00bs and the game really comes alive from the 4thwworld onwards.

Ashadian said:

If you haven't realised what's so great about the game after playing it then there's no point in trying to explain it to you?

But here's a hint there's a reason why it's got such a high metacritic rating and universally great reviews. They can't all be wrong now can they eh???

They could all be payed...

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Play the whole game, then we`ll talk.

POE said:

I get this response a lot about this game. If the first 4 worlds of the game don't make you want to play the whole game, that's suddenly the gamer's problem, and not the designers?

VitroBahllee said:
POE said:

I get this response a lot about this game. If the first 4 worlds of the game don't make you want to play the whole game, that's suddenly the gamer's problem, and not the designers?

If you don´t want to keep playing it don´t do it. When i was at level 3 i wanted to keep playing it.
But of course, im different than you, i didn´t listen to any critics or reviews so i wasn´t overhyped by it. When you or the people surrounding you, overhype something too much, the product tends to disappoint.

Just play the game and try to enjoy it. If you don´t like it don´t play it.