By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is great about Super Mario 3D World?

Tagged games:

Ostro said:

I will see what's going to happen in World 4 and after that. It's just weird that they make us go through so many levels, getting bored, because they want new players to succeed. Maybe need some kids as testers so they understand the learning curve for their games, kids learn very quickly and don't need so many easy levels. Still want to see more reasons for this being a total must-have and getting GoY awards ;)

spemanig said:
Do you play it with friends? Because that's where it shines.

I always play these games with friends when possible, no singleplayer for me. It has added a few laughs but nothing big, other games have done better there.

LiquorandGunFun said:
1st world problems....

And your reply is a gift to the world, especially 2nd and 3rd. Mankind loves you.

Some kids learn quick, but not all of them. The first 3 worlds are largely like a superstar basketball player cruising through the 1st quarter of a game. You know he is going to ramp his game up big time when the game gets to crunch time, EAD Tokyo brings it there. 

Around the Network

The soundtrack is also back loaded too. I would say in the end its one of Nintendo's 10 best soundtracks ...

Super Mario Galaxy 1
SMG2
DKC
DKC 2
Zelda: OoT
Zelda: LttP
Mario 3D World
Star Fox
Metroid Prime
DKC: Tropical Freeze

I would say are the top 10 best Nintendo soundtracks (no order).

Ostro said:

I will see what's going to happen in World 4 and after that. It's just weird that they make us go through so many levels, getting bored, because they want new players to succeed. Maybe need some kids as testers so they understand the learning curve for their games, kids learn very quickly and don't need so many easy levels. Still want to see more reasons for this being a total must-have and getting GoY awards ;)

spemanig said:
Do you play it with friends? Because that's where it shines.

I always play these games with friends when possible, no singleplayer for me. It has added a few laughs but nothing big, other games have done better there.

LiquorandGunFun said:
1st world problems....

And your reply is a gift to the world, especially 2nd and 3rd. Mankind loves you.

Try single player.

almost every single stage is more innovative than most of the games out there are. NIntendo has an idea and makes 1 level out of it while others base the whole game around that single idea.

The game is great. not SMB3 and Galaxy great. but it feel fresh and has a place in the top 3 of Mario great games.

It gets really hard... The music is very good for me. I liked the freshness in terms of powers-up possibilities.

I find it similar and yet different from 3D Land and coming after the gaalxy experience it didn't feel like a minor game at all. I didn't have the same (unfulfilling) feeling I had with SMWorld (after SMB3) or Sunshine (after Mario 64) if this make sense to you.

The graphics are great, the multiplayer is awesome; the only thing that could have made the best mario ever is the possibilities to fly and online.

Switch!!!

Around the Network

I thought the game was magical from the moment I pressed start. Guess it's not your type. I respect that. You gave it a try.

Multiplayer
Music
Level Design

It's well known the game's first few worlds are fairly straight forward and generic. I love SM3D World but also felt the game was a bit underwhelming at first. But it ramps up, so don't be put off by that. The first few worlds are designed for kids on purpose, no big deal, the game is also biiiig, so don't worry that half the game is non-content, it isn't. 

It's a normal complaint about the game, it gets better, don't worry.

The other thing to note is that the map only shows half (?) the worlds at the start of the game.

As I've said before, if a Mario game doesn't captivate you in three worlds there's something wrong with it. It was the same with me, but as others said, it does get better. But yeah playing through several worlds just to find a level that is harder than the first one is boring. Still waiting for a 120 star game...

Yep.