By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do people realize it's almost impossible to kill a douopoly console? (SONY/MS/XBox One)

fatslob-:O said:
Chris Hu said:

Call of Duty 4 would have never been as big as it got without Halo 2.  Halo 2 put online console FPS on the map but your too young to realize that.  As for GT3 more then 1/3 of its sales came through bundles especially in North America where you can find the not for resale marked used copy almost as easily as the retail version that has a bar code.  As for Golden Eye the only reason it was fairly popular on the N64 is because the N64 had a limited library of games and it was released pretty close to the consoles launch and never went out of print.

Yes it would have ... Whether Halo 2 put online console FPS's on the map were irrelevant because online FPS's came from PC's. Do you have ANY sources or official PR statements from PD or Sony to back up your claim ? Such a poor attempt to discredit Golden Eye 007's sales. The fact that you refused to acknowledge the game on it's own merits just goes to show how lopsided you are. You refuse to accept the fact that the original xbox is a failure and now you can't even accept the fact that Halo wasn't revolutionary ? 

Again your way too young to realize how huge Halo 2 was when it got released it generated a bigger buzz then any other game released during that decade.  As for GT3 being bundled a lot I got first hand experience with that since what I said earlier holds true where I live bundled copies are super easy to find and are easily distinguished since they don't have a bar code and say not for resale on them they also have a slightly different cover.  Halo 2 might not have been revolutionrary but it put online console FPS shooters on the map and that is a fact so deal with it.

Around the Network

XBox wasn't a failure. Financially maybe, but MS never made it to make money, it was meant to get their foot in the door of the game business under a fairly tight deadline, and it more than did that, it even beat out the veteran Nintendo and set the stage for XBox 360.

XBox probably would've sold 30+ million if MS didn't halt production of it. It's a system that had its peak sales in 2004, yet MS stopped production in 2005.

Chris Hu said:

It did a lot better in the US and North America nothing on the Gamecube came even close to being as popular as Halo and Halo 2 in that region.  As far as I know Halo 2 is the first console game to get a midnight release in the US.

Your missing the point once again ... You keep forgetting the fact that xbox was just as big of a failure DESPITE getting scraps from america. 

The irony in saying that I'm the one too young and yet you keep refusing to face the simple truth. 

Well the fact is you are to young since you probably wheren't even aware of Halo 2 when it got released but the fact still remains it was a huge deal when it got released no other game got that much press coverage on its release date during that decade in the US.

Chris Hu said:

Again your way too young to realize how huge Halo 2 was when it got released it generated a bigger buzz then any other game released during that decade.  As for GT3 being bundled a lot I got first hand experience with that since what I said earlier holds true where I live bundled copies are super easy to find and are easily distinguished since they don't have a bar code and say not for resale on them they also have a slightly different cover.  Halo 2 might not have been revolutionrary but it put online console FPS shooters on the map and that is a fact so deal with it.

@Bold That's a lie since GTA IV was the one to generate the most hype.

Again you have no evidence to support your claim. Whether or not if it had put online console FPS's were on the map was TOTALLY IRRELEVANT in the end.

Soundwave said:

XBox wasn't a failure. Financially maybe, but MS never made it to make money, it was meant to get their foot in the door of the game business under a fairly tight deadline, and it more than did that, it even beat out the veteran Nintendo and set the stage for XBox 360.

XBox probably would've sold 30+ million if MS didn't halt production of it. It's a system that had its peak sales in 2004, yet MS stopped production in 2005.

Well NVIDIA is to blame for the stop of the production of the original X-Box that being said it could have easily sold at least 30 million units if it would have been produced for a couple more years.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:

Well the fact is you are to young since you probably wheren't even aware of Halo 2 when it got released but the fact still remains it was a huge deal when it got released no other game got that much press coverage on its release date during that decade in the US.

Halo 2 was IRRELEVANT to your agument since the original point was about xbox and gamecube being failures. 

It's a FACT that xbox was a failure and NO GAME will redeem it as such in that light. 

Chris Hu said:

Again you have no evidence to support your claim. Whether or not if it had put online console FPS's were on the map was TOTALLY IRRELEVANT in the end.

Barely and that is only because it went multiplat.   That game also had a production budget and marketing budget that was one of the biggest ever.  I'm pretty sure that its marketing budget was probably bigger then the total budget for the first two Halo games.

Chris Hu said:

Halo 2 was IRRELEVANT to your agument since the original point was about xbox and gamecube being failures. 

It's a FACT that xbox was a failure and NO GAME will redeem it as such in that light. 

It was a failure in your neck of the woods in the UK but in the US it was pretty popular and Halo 2 was huge.  Plus if you look at the attachment ratio Halo 2 is still more relevant than any other game that is out now and it would have sold even more if it wasn't also released on the PC so deal with that.

Chris Hu said:
Chris Hu said:

Barely and that is only because it went multiplat.   That game also had a production budget and marketing budget that was one of the biggest ever.  I'm pretty sure that its marketing budget was probably bigger then the total budget for the first two Halo games.

BARELY ? The fact that it has one of the HIGHEST METACRITIC score just goes to tell you that it had a SHIT TON more hype than Halo ever will. GTA was always multiplat SINCE GTA 2. 

Mr Khan said:
Figgycal said:
Chris Hu said:

Well your way too young to realize how much of an impact Halo 1 and 2 made when they where released and on gaming in general on top of that you live in the wrong region to realize how important the original XBox was. 

Really ? Your seriously going to use age against me when you don't even know who I am in real life ? I'll say this much that I'm an adult and can make an informed outlook but that's as far as it goes. 

The original xbox was IRRELEVANT for the most part and nothing can change that including halo. BTW I'm also a fan of halo too but I'm not oblivious to the fact that the original xbox was a failure all around. 

Just admit you're wrong, brother. You'll feel better.

How can you say that "facts" are wrong ? 

The nerve of the hardcore stigmatized gaming community around here to call these so called "FACTS" wrong LOL.

It's hard to argue that Xbox was relevant and GameCube was not, is the long and short of it. To claim that Xbox was relevant is to acknowledge that GameCube was, while to deny GameCube's relevance is to deny Xbox's. It's pretty straightforward. The growing concept that this MS-Sony "duopoly" extends back to the 6th generation is absurd at best.

I wouldn't call it absurd.  Maybe I'm just absurd and contrarian but hear me out.  

Xbox eventually got GTA and other big games that were acclaimed on PS2 and thus eventually those developers got experience with their platform. This helped with everyone not just waiting for PS3 during 7th gen.  Back then  Sony was the one doing all the timed exclusive stuff and making it seem as if the Xbox needed more games in comparison to their plaform.  I bet much like the PS360 when you compare the software libraries of xbox and ps2 a year or so after they are irrelevant they start to look far more similar than you were lead to believe initially with popular titles ending up on both platforms. Microsoft wasn't as good at it but they were most certainly attempting to get parity or duopoly status with Sony's platform in the 6th gen.