By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft stock surges to 14 year high. Market cap up $12bn in 1 day to $327bn, edit: up $20bn in 3 days to $335bn

etking said:
maverick40 said:
Wish I had shares in Microsoft. Will have to wait until I get my bonus in work

You probably should wait for the next world economy crisis and buy right in the middle of it to get cheap prices. It is never intelligent to buy at a peak, especially if the the current near future doesn't look too bright for that company because the overall PC market is dying much faster than expected, Microsoft has almost no market share in smartphones and tables and the X1 doesn't run nearly as good as the 360 in both the US and worldwide markets. If I'd get a bonus now, I would consider buing put stock warrants instead.

It is too late to buy shares right now, this should have been done when Ballmer announced that he will step down because this was the only reason for the shares to rise.

You say that as if MS depends on the consumer market primarily for its revenue and profit... hint they don't!. Microsoft is still experiencing double digit growth, more than 60% of their revenue (and upwards of 80% of profit) comes from Server & Tools division and the Business Software division. These areas are still rapidly growing for them. You need to actually do some research and understand where a companies revenue comes from. Their future at the moment doesn't just look good, it looks amazing DESPITE not doing so well in some of the lesser divisions you quoted.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Dat Titanfall effect, amazing!

Why this post didn't end the thread is beyond me.

kowenicki said:

Not unsurprising really as Microsoft has more than doubled its revenues over the last ten years and its earnings have more than quadrupled over the same period. So you have to wonder why the stock hasn't increased earlier and by even more.

I guess the market likes the new leader. Anyhow, all good for stock holders.

Doom.

Well, Microsoft has forever refused to do this bc it would decrease dependence on Windows, and indirectly services like Bing, Outlook, IE, etc.  But since Windows doesn't have the universal visibility that it used to experience, Microsoft has wisely just given up and saved the product that has a bigger place in its future as a enterprise centric company.

If you wanted to view this in a negative way, you could say tha t Microsoft sees Windows as going downhill, and is making the best decicion given that inevitability.

Looks like a lot of other fans what to kick us Xbox fans from vgc :'(

kowenicki said:
Ashadian said:
kowenicki said:

Stock up 45% in the last 12 months increasing the market cap by about $100 billion. 

Surges 4% today on the back of Office for iPad (estimated $2bn revenue stream) and other mobile initiatives such as expectations of android apps on Windows phone and windows apps on other mobile OS.

Microsoft stock up 4%, hits 14-year high

@DavidGoldmanCNN March 18, 2014: 2:43 PM ET

Microsoft has finally put the worst of the dot-com bust behind it. Shares surged more than 4% Tuesday to their highest price since March 24, 2000.

The stock rose after Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500) disclosed plans for a press conference about a new product for mobile and cloud computing to take place on March 27. Microsoft is widely expected to unveil Office for the iPad -- a release that many analysts believe is long overdue. New CEO Satya Nadella will be making the announcement.

Microsoft's stock has mostly oscillated between $20 and $40 over the past decade and a half, a frustrating period for investors who called on the company to innovate beyond software for the PC.

Under CEO Steve Ballmer, Microsoft largely missed the boat on major tech trends of the past decade, including smartphones, tablets, search and portable music. Meanwhile, Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) and Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) both surpassed the company in market value.

Related: Microsoft launches cheaper Office 365 'Personal'

Shares have been on a tear since August, when Ballmer announced his retirement. Longtime Microsoft executive Nadella took over for Ballmer last month.

Microsoft has performed well as it transitions into a devices and services company. Microsoft has found success with its Xbox One video game console and Kinect attachment. Sales of its Surface tablet and Windows Phone devices are growing -- albeit from a very small base.

The company also announced plans last year to buy the smartphone business of Nokia (NOK), further solidifying its new role as a hardware maker.

Microsoft's software for businesses has also been a major driver of its recent success. Nadella had led Microsoft's corporate software unit before being named as CEO.

Microsoft shares hit 14-year high on Office-iPad news

New Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. Photo courtesy of Microsoft.

Microsoft shares closed at $39.55 today, up nearly 4 percent — reaching their highest point in 14 years following reports that the company will unveil a version of the Office suite for Apple’s iPad next week as part a broader strategy shift under new CEO Satya Nadella.

Here’s the question: Will the move to further embrace platforms that compete with Windows be good for Microsoft’s business overall?

The new Office for iPad could boost Microsoft Office 365 subscriptions, which would be required to use the apps, contributing to Microsoft’s revenue. But in a note to clients this morning, Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund said the change could reduce the demand for Software Assurance, the volume licensing deals that Microsoft strikes with large businesses.

However, investors seem to be more interested in the long-term potential of the strategy.

Sherlund writes, “The upcoming announcement will likely be more beneficial to the stock than to earnings if much of the incremental demand comes at the expense of Software Assurance, but investors are likely to welcome the directional shift in the business to non-PC and non-Windows platforms and a stated direction which we would expect to emphasize a mobile and cloud first strategy.”

Steve Ballmer must be scratching his head over this one. Microsoft’s share price is now higher than it was for the bulk of Ballmer’s tenure as CEO. The irony is that Microsoft actually signaled its intent to release Office for iPad while Ballmer was still CEO, albeit somewhat vaguely. Microsoft’s leadership change, and the fact that the unveiling is now imminent, has apparently grabbed the attention of the market.

At least Ballmer still benefits from his position as a major Microsoft shareholder.

Sigh!

Here we go again!

Can you also post financial related news on Apple, Google and Samsung???

I'm a major investor in those firms

er... why?  want me to do toyota and ford too?

this is an item on a company with a gaming presence on a gaming website.

you want an apple or google threads?  go write one in the off topic section.

i know it distresses you that ms does well... but i guess you'll have to suck it up.

Nope!

My company Apple does much better than MS. They made $13 billion profit last quarter!

Around the Network
etking said:
maverick40 said:
Wish I had shares in Microsoft. Will have to wait until I get my bonus in work

You probably should wait for the next world economy crisis and buy right in the middle of it to get cheap prices. It is never intelligent to buy at a peak, especially if the the current near future doesn't look too bright for that company because the overall PC market is dying much faster than expected, Microsoft has almost no market share in smartphones and tables and the X1 doesn't run nearly as good as the 360 in both the US and worldwide markets. If I'd get a bonus now, I would consider buing put stock warrants instead.

It is too late to buy shares right now, this should have been done when Ballmer announced that he will step down because this was the only reason for the shares to rise.

You should know that consumer market is just minor part of revenues for MS and most revenue from sales to other businesses. This might come as surprise to you but for example IBM is still one of the biggest companies in the world (bigger than MS actually) and it makes huge profits too. And IBM has no consumer products at all. And console business is minor part of MS and always has been. 

kowenicki said:
Just keeps climbing.

now at 40.55 up another 3.25%

Market cap rises again to $336bn another $8bn added.

thats $20bn added to its value in just three days.

Steady climber. Thoughts on where it will top out in 2014?

kowenicki said:

Hard to say.  Not too botherd, I'm cleaning up already and have just banked some nice dividends too.

I've had a great 18 months years on the back of MS, Nokia, BT (and Sony before I ditched them last year)

I'm on the look out for another promising stock at the moment. 

Undecided at this time.

I respect your judgment and insight on financials as have level headed view on the matter.  I think the past 24 months have been good for many of us.  Tech had mixed results with Facebook being my big winner past few years.

I went through this whole thread and didn't find a single post by dallas.

Leaving quite disappointed...

disolitude said:
I went through this whole thread and didn't find a single post by dallas.

Leaving quite disappointed...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/2052/dallas/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---