By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft :"Proud to confirm we’ll be bringing XboxOne to 26 new markets this September "

kitler53 said:
endimion said:
I don't know!!!! Maybe because more than 70% of the gamer user base won't have bought a new console by then???...
and looking at PS3/XBox 360 sales not only the new Gen is nowhere close to full gear but last Gen is not dead yet either...

and what influences late gen buyers purchase decisions?

A) low, affordable price.    0 of 1 on so far..

B) what do my friends have so i can play and trade games with them.      advantage, the guy on the market 10 months longer...

for fucks sake, it doesn't take a six figure salary to understand that being late to market has never been an advantage.   not necessarily an insurmountable disadvantage but never an advantage.   with ps4 doing as well as it's doing MS is shooting themselves in the foot on this. 

Yield issues confirmed.

Around the Network

It's almost a given that a price drop will precede this rollout. The question is, will Sony jump with them? If XB1 goes $399 in the US, will Sony jump to $349?

As for the $499 launch price, I think they knew the strong core fanbase would happily pay that price, and for however many they sell, they are getting an extra $100 per unit. It's a risky strategy on one hand, giving the lead to Sony easily, and on the flip side, let's call it ~5M units before the first real price drop (I don't rate the miniscule UK drop, and with currency exchange and all it's actually still more expensive, right?) What's 5M units x $100?

Weigh that against what that high price has cost them, it's murky. Obviously the ideal for them would have been to launch at $499 for Xmas, then drop to $399 Jan 1st, outside of the terrible PR in such a calculating move.

So I'm thinking that was mostly financially motivated regardless, at the end of the day, like all corporate decisions outside of the rarest exception.

As for waiting to get XB1 to these other markets, hah. I wonder if it even matters really. They've probably written off basically everything but the US/UK in terms of relevancy to them. Which is both stupid and smart I suppose. Now they make PR spin to say 'oh, we're bringing X to Japan and Y to Europe, and excited to bring these games to these players', but in the boardrooms and offices they will be 99.9% focused on US/UK.

Whether or not they launched it Xmas '13, or Xmas '15 in those other regions, they're not terribly relevant there anyway. PC gaming is really strong in some of those areas as well, making the XB1 seem superfluous in many respects. For example I can pretty much guarantee that South Korea will be a total flop zone for them.

Arkaign said:
It's almost a given that a price drop will precede this rollout. The question is, will Sony jump with them? If XB1 goes $399 in the US, will Sony jump to $349?

As for the $499 launch price, I think they knew the strong core fanbase would happily pay that price, and for however many they sell, they are getting an extra $100 per unit. It's a risky strategy on one hand, giving the lead to Sony easily, and on the flip side, let's call it ~5M units before the first real price drop (I don't rate the miniscule UK drop, and with currency exchange and all it's actually still more expensive, right?) What's 5M units x $100?

Weigh that against what that high price has cost them, it's murky. Obviously the ideal for them would have been to launch at $499 for Xmas, then drop to $399 Jan 1st, outside of the terrible PR in such a calculating move.

So I'm thinking that was mostly financially motivated regardless, at the end of the day, like all corporate decisions outside of the rarest exception.

As for waiting to get XB1 to these other markets, hah. I wonder if it even matters really. They've probably written off basically everything but the US/UK in terms of relevancy to them. Which is both stupid and smart I suppose. Now they make PR spin to say 'oh, we're bringing X to Japan and Y to Europe, and excited to bring these games to these players', but in the boardrooms and offices they will be 99.9% focused on US/UK.

Whether or not they launched it Xmas '13, or Xmas '15 in those other regions, they're not terribly relevant there anyway. PC gaming is really strong in some of those areas as well, making the XB1 seem superfluous in many respects. For example I can pretty much guarantee that South Korea will be a total flop zone for them.

They aern't really making $100 extra per unit in terms of profit, the Kinect itself costs nearly that much to make :p

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
Arkaign said:

They aern't really making $100 extra per unit in terms of profit, the Kinect itself costs nearly that much to make :p

Oh definitely, it wasn't my impression to imply that.

It's $100 more / unit gross at retail, so a price at $399 would effectively cost Microsoft $100/unit less revenue. Take profits out the equation entirely, because the cost of these things sort of precludes any meaningful profits. So the question then becomes : break even, or lose ~$100/unit @ $399.

Arkaign said:
VanceIX said:
Arkaign said:

Oh definitely, it wasn't my impression to imply that.

It's $100 more / unit gross at retail, so a price at $399 would effectively cost Microsoft $100/unit less revenue. Take profits out the equation entirely, because the cost of these things sort of precludes any meaningful profits. So the question then becomes : break even, or lose ~$100/unit @ $399.

Oh, my bad then, should have read it better lol

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

Just got a letter few hours ago,if it's true not sure i should laugh or not,because there is 1(maybe 2) countries getting "Tier 1.5" release date...

We will know it's real or not at April 7 latest

maverick40 said:

Way too late. What a joke. I presume the will lower the price for this launch too?

PS4 is going to run train in these countries till then

All these 26 new countries are very very small console markets.

I bet all 26 countries together are at most 5-10% as big as the 13 markets MS is already in, for Xbox sales. And it's probably closer to 5%.

But nobody ever listens when I mention this fact, so carry on.

Now Japan is more important to sony, but for Xbox it's small as well. All the rest of the countries are tiny markets for both Sony and MS.

Tuvalu, Haiti and Vatican City not on the list. :(

MagicalJoker said:
maverick40 said:
PaypayTR said:
Most of 26 countries wont even get A kinect localisation.Its probably about removing Kinect entirely from system.
+ ONE game packed in bundles will sale like hotcakes.(TITFALL/FIFA15/Forza5)
atleast in Turkey

They won't remove kinect at all, it is integral to the systems OS. What makes you think if will sell like hotcakes?

Honestly I believe there will be a Kinectless XOne. Not sure what date though. XOne will work fine without Kinect.

But I do not believe it will sell like hotcakes after that though. There will be other things up Microsofts sleeves that will have more of an impact. But I think it will be too late by then to become 1st this generation. But they will still make a nice profit.

Seems I had it right.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=183053

Hellz ya 26 countries that will now give X1 serious consideration after its unbundling

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.