By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Pictures Shutters Interactive Division, Prepare to announce layoffs in Studio Operations

VitroBahllee said:
Kresnik said:
Changed title of the thread to reflect title/content of the article you posted. Don't go being a tabloid now.

Also, you could at least wait for a few replies before you start attacking the character of Sony fans, huh?

What attacks on the characters of Sony fans did I make?

Look what your thread turned into in the first few pages.  It's like you managed to successfully derail your own thread before it even had a chance to develop some legitimate discussion by throwing those first two sentences in there.

Had you posted it after a few replies from Sony fans saying "they'll be fine", then it would've been justified.   The way you posted it straight off the bat did nothing to foster meaningful discussion and only served for people to disagree with what you posted.

Do you genuinely not see that?

Around the Network

Is it me or has the title changed like 3-4 times?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Max King of the Wild said:
Changing the thread title is nice and all but anyone entering the thread will see the troll comments in the OP with just a link and no substance and no moderation tagbut Sony is in a desperate situation financially

To be fair, I see this all the time.  But because it's Sony, people is like "oh no he didn't".

Carl2291 said:
Those pesky Sony fans.

I look forward to the day when Microsoft buy the PlayStation brand.

Lol yeah, Microsoft will finally make money in the gaming division. :P

Kresnik said:
VitroBahllee said:
Kresnik said:
Changed title of the thread to reflect title/content of the article you posted. Don't go being a tabloid now.

Also, you could at least wait for a few replies before you start attacking the character of Sony fans, huh?

What attacks on the characters of Sony fans did I make?

Look what your thread turned into in the first few pages.  It's like you managed to successfully derail your own thread before it even had a chance to develop some legitimate discussion by throwing those first two sentences in there.

Had you posted it after a few replies from Sony fans saying "they'll be fine", then it would've been justified.   The way you posted it straight off the bat did nothing to foster meaningful discussion and only served for people to disagree with what you posted.

Do you genuinely not see that?

I see your point, and if this was the first bad news about Sony's corporate financial situation in the last month or so, I would agree that my assessment was premature. But, two things. This is obviously not the first piece of news like this lately. The preponderance of responses have proven what I said, and I knew they would, because this isn't the first story like this lately. Secondly, this story has been out for hours and it hasn't been reported here yet, which can reasonably be interpreted as ignoring the significance of the news, as well.

I'll try to be less assumptive when making posts, and I will also scrutinize my wording with a high degree of care because I am starting to realize how sensitive fans of the leading, most technically powerful console can be about anything that reflects negatively on their system of choice. I am surprised by this revelation because applying 'treat others like you would be treated' standards to posts I've seen on the topic of the other systems, I would never have realized the high level of respect demanded of their vgchartz peers that this particular group apparently expects. I would hope that the same level of concern for the slightest offense will be shown on the other sections of the site, but I am not holding my breath.

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:
Wow, amazing how quickly people are impugning my motivations or tone. I'm sorry Sony is in such dire financial straits and are forced to keep laying off people from their divisions, including the gaming division. I feel sorry for the hard working individuals who are put out of a job because of the company's money-losing strategies. But acting like I'm a jerk for posting this news here or that I'm somehow happy that innocent people are out of a job is uncalled for. This is news that ought to be reported, and insulting me isn't helpful.

How is what I say uncalled for? Sony sold major buildings, including their original headquarters, closed over two thirds of their US retail locations, laid off a huge amount of one of their game studios, and then a couple weeks later, this is announced. And they are still posting a multi-billion dollar loss for the year, while their hit video game console loses them a small amount of money for each system sold. Why exactly should I sugarcoat this for people who don't want to hear it?

There was no need to bring that up.Look, we get it, Sony is bleeding money.  We don't need people like you to bring this to our attention. JFC

think-man said:
Come back and tell me when Sony is on the cusp of selling it's Playstation division. If this doesn't affect the PS division then I don't care.

Sony is a company, all cuts and loses hurt all divisions. Whether it be directly or indirectly by how much risk they are willing to take on new IP investments or how much they can spend on development or marketing and how much flexibility they have to be able to react to competitors. It is a sad situation at present and if it continues it will have a massive impact on Playstation regardless of wether the gaming division is profitable or not. I am still hopeful that this is just more positive signs that they are making the hard decisions required to turn the company around, though it is a very big ship and a very large iceburg ahead if they continue to make the hard decisions they can avoid being the titanic.

I think PS fans easily understand what is happening with Sony as others have suggested. I'm not sure what the OP wants PS fans to do about it. They support Sony the way they can, buy PS games and hardware. Can a PS fan really be expected to go to every Sony Pictures release, buy every BR/DVD, all Sony music, etc?

They game, that's all they can do.

VitroBahllee said:
Porcupeth said:
Keep reassuring yourself.

It's the 1,000 freshly unemployed workers that really need the reassurance.

And what should it mean to us according to you?

tm said:
I think PS fans easily understand what is happening with Sony as others have suggested. I'm not sure what the OP wants PS fans to do about it? They support Sony the way they can, buy PS games and hardware. Can a PS fan really be expected to go to every Sony Pictures release, buy every BR/DVD, all Sony music, etc?

They game, that's all they can do.

bubblegamer said:
VitroBahllee said:
Porcupeth said:
Keep reassuring yourself.

It's the 1,000 freshly unemployed workers that really need the reassurance.

And what should it mean to us according to you?

It needn't mean anything. This is the kind of news that is relevant to at least be posted on a sales/business-angled video game site, for the perusal or discussion of those who do take an interest. If you don't feel like taking interest, that's completely understandable.