By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reviews by The Walrus: Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Would you like me to keep reviewing with my style?

Yes 24 31.58%

No 50 65.79%

Total:74

dont take it to the personal...but both your review style and your motives suck ass.hard

the story the most important? no way in a milion years

Around the Network

good luck rating fighting games with your rating system... lol

"My approach is to eliminate bias by focusing on specific categories of the games I review, and then at the end add up the score."

pretty biased for the non-story-centric games

I just completed this game last night. This is an HONEST review coming from a Nintendo fan (not fanboy; I hate fanboys) of about 20+ years. So, here we go:

Originality: 12/20

Graphics: 10/10

Art Style: 15/15

Story: 15/30

Game Interface: 3/5

Controls: 0/5

Is it fun?: 4/15

Total: 59/100

This game was a dissapointment to me. I was hoping that this game would have had the challenge that Donkey Kong Country Returns or the SNES Donkey Kong Country games provided. By the time the challenge started coming in, which is about Stage 6-4, it was already too late. The majority of the game was so easy. I was able to get through many of the levels no problem. I was able to rack up 83 lives by the time I got to World 5. The first few hours of the game were very boring. When I was playing the early levels of the game, I nearly fell asleep when I was playing the game. I had to put on ELPRESADOR rage videos and listen to Ys music to keep myself awake. I was able to stay awake for the final boss fight though. The final boss provided a challenge, which was a plus. I really did not like the controls for this game. I played this game using my Pro Controller, instead of the GamePad. In many cases, the controls were very unresponsive to my inputs. Every time I would try to evade an attack, the controls would not respond to my inputs, which caused me to die a couple of times. When I figured out how to get around the bugs in the controls, I was able to best the bosses easily. Aside from the negatives of this game, there were positive things about this game. Some of the music in the game was great. Some of it was relaxing and actually felt different than in previous installments. Nintendo though does need to stop latching onto nostalgia attempts by remixing the older tunes. The originals will always be better than the remixes, even if the music sounds blocky. Another thing that was good was that Nintendo put in Dixie Kong and Diddy Kong. I felt that Cranky Kong was not needed much in the game, since Dixie and Diddy are a lot more useful. Dixie and Diddy were godsends. Dixie was very useful with her ponytail copter move and Diddy with his jetpack move to enable longer jumps across bigger gaps. The reason why I had little use for Cranky Kong was because his pogostick cane move was not too useful, except for jumping over spikes, which there was not much of in the game, or even to reach higher places. The big thing that was actually very great about this game was the art style of the game and the graphics. For a Wii U game, the graphics were impressive. The game almost looked like a realistic cartoon. The art style was excellent. The way that Retro Studios did the artwork for the levels was very impressive. I thank them for that. So anyway, this was my review of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. This scoring system is actually a nice thing, Dulfite. It's okay if people don't like it; I like it.

omg keep the crazy reviews coming!!!

next time put more Dragons

I do like that your digging deep with your review scale. I just dont think you can use a single template for games. It would need to be more genre specific.

Around the Network

"Story: The most important part of a game for me. /30"

No offense but video games have terrible stories and playing games for this reason is beyond my comprehension.

I'm looking forward to your review of Tetris.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Anyway, the Snowmads are awesome. I'd give the game at least a 20/30 for them alone, and maybe an extra 5 points for having higher stakes than the typical DKC game.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

51JBerger said:
I just completed this game last night. This is an HONEST review coming from a Nintendo fan (not fanboy; I hate fanboys) of about 20+ years. So, here we go:

Originality: 12/20

Graphics: 10/10

Art Style: 15/15

Story: 15/30

Game Interface: 3/5

Controls: 0/5

Is it fun?: 4/15

Total: 59/100

This game was a dissapointment to me. I was hoping that this game would have had the challenge that Donkey Kong Country Returns or the SNES Donkey Kong Country games provided. By the time the challenge started coming in, which is about Stage 6-4, it was already too late. The majority of the game was so easy. I was able to get through many of the levels no problem. I was able to rack up 83 lives by the time I got to World 5. The first few hours of the game were very boring. When I was playing the early levels of the game, I nearly fell asleep when I was playing the game. I had to put on ELPRESADOR rage videos and listen to Ys music to keep myself awake. I was able to stay awake for the final boss fight though. The final boss provided a challenge, which was a plus. I really did not like the controls for this game. I played this game using my Pro Controller, instead of the GamePad. In many cases, the controls were very unresponsive to my inputs. Every time I would try to evade an attack, the controls would not respond to my inputs, which caused me to die a couple of times. When I figured out how to get around the bugs in the controls, I was able to best the bosses easily. Aside from the negatives of this game, there were positive things about this game. Some of the music in the game was great. Some of it was relaxing and actually felt different than in previous installments. Nintendo though does need to stop latching onto nostalgia attempts by remixing the older tunes. The originals will always be better than the remixes, even if the music sounds blocky. Another thing that was good was that Nintendo put in Dixie Kong and Diddy Kong. I felt that Cranky Kong was not needed much in the game, since Dixie and Diddy are a lot more useful. Dixie and Diddy were godsends. Dixie was very useful with her ponytail copter move and Diddy with his jetpack move to enable longer jumps across bigger gaps. The reason why I had little use for Cranky Kong was because his pogostick cane move was not too useful, except for jumping over spikes, which there was not much of in the game, or even to reach higher places. The big thing that was actually very great about this game was the art style of the game and the graphics. For a Wii U game, the graphics were impressive. The game almost looked like a realistic cartoon. The art style was excellent. The way that Retro Studios did the artwork for the levels was very impressive. I thank them for that. So anyway, this was my review of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. This scoring system is actually a nice thing, Dulfite. It's okay if people don't like it; I like it.

Thanks! I agree with a lot of what you said and I'm glad at least someone appreciated how I grade games (I knew there had to be some!). I don't really get how many of these people on this thread can't understand why I would hold story as such an important aspect of a game.

I agree with the partners, Cranky was pretty useless throughout much of the game (except for collecting certain things in certain levels). All this being said, I truly loved this game! Especially the music and pretty much everything about world 2. But my love for this game doesn't excuse it from it's glaring issues in it's lack of story or anything truly "new" to the series.

LiquorandGunFun said:
I do like that your digging deep with your review scale. I just dont think you can use a single template for games. It would need to be more genre specific.

Thank you for that! And to your second comment, I disagree. I think every game should be held up to the same standard for me. I don't play a smartphone game and say it's comparable to a console game if you take into consideration the limitations of the smartphone. I only do that with things from the past compared to modern day stuff. In my mind, and the way I appreciate games, everything should and can be reviewed to the same standard. If a company doesn't want to make a story to make the game more interesting for us story obsessed people, then it's simply not going to get a good review from me. If people don't like my review style, then that's their decision and I would suggest them looking elseware for impressions.