By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reviews by The Walrus: Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Would you like me to keep reviewing with my style?

Yes 24 31.58%

No 50 65.79%

Total:74
bouzane said:
"Story: The most important part of a game for me. /30"

No offense but video games have terrible stories and playing games for this reason is beyond my comprehension.

Some video games have great stories. Ever played The Last Story for Wii? Or Thousand Year door for Gamecube? The story of the Halo games was my favorite part of them! If you don't like the stories that's fine, but I'm kind of tired of people in this thread belitting me (not saying you're doing that specifically) for appreciating stories in games more than anything else.

Around the Network
F0X said:
I'm looking forward to your review of Tetris.

lol I doubt I'll get to that. However, I am attempting to play, beat, and then review a game than my fiance played as a child. I will feel pretty epic if I have the tolerance to beat this game and type a review on it. It's a gameboy color Hello Kitty game and it's like Tetris. It's horrifying.

Dulfite said:
bouzane said:

No offense but video games have terrible stories and playing games for this reason is beyond my comprehension.

Some video games have great stories. Ever played The Last Story for Wii? Or Thousand Year door for Gamecube? The story of the Halo games was my favorite part of them! If you don't like the stories that's fine, but I'm kind of tired of people in this thread belitting me (not saying you're doing that specifically) for appreciating stories in games more than anything else.

I am sorry to have to inform you that no videogame has a great story. Most likely you have come to the opposite conclusion because you mistake the immersion that is gained from interactivity for a great story. In reality however, a good story and a good videogame are mutually exclusive entities and any 'story driven' game to date is a medicore compromise between two incompatible forms of expression.

Your review lost credibility when you touted story as the most important part of a video game.

That's... one weird reviewing method. Basically it means any racing/fighting/party etc. game cannot be considered very good, ever, because story apparently weighs so heavily (30% of the total), and such games have none/very little.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

my DKCR TF review

Graphics 10/10
Sound 10/10
Gameplay 8/10
Value 7/10
Peanuts 0/60

since peanuts are the most important part of my gaming sessions i give a overall score of 35/100

but the game is pretty good, if only they would put some of those delicious peanuts on it, its not that much effort is it?

impertinence said:
Dulfite said:
bouzane said:

I am sorry to have to inform you that no videogame has a great story. Most likely you have come to the opposite conclusion because you mistake the immersion that is gained from interactivity for a great story. In reality however, a good story and a good videogame are mutually exclusive entities and any 'story driven' game to date is a medicore compromise between two incompatible forms of expression.

I contest this statement. The Ace Attorney titles, Okami, Spec Ops: The Line, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Fire Emblem: Awakening, to name a few, all contained incredible stories and were quite fun to play too. With the exception of Spec Ops, I'd probably consider every single one of those "great" games from a pure gameplay perspective as well. A great story is easily compatible with great gameplay, and a narrative can often take a merely good experience and make it an overall great one. Immersion is just one part of it; some of the stories in these games are ones that I've watched others play through first and found myself engrossed by on the sole merits of the narrative quality. Story is certainly not all there is to a game, but you definitely need to expand your gaming horizons if you seriously believe that there has never been a video game with a great story.

As for the review, I'll simply echo what most people have been saying, but perhaps do so a bit less harshly. If story really means that much to you in a game, then more power to you. Play story driven games, and have fun with them. But you might want to hold off reviewing games that are outside of your enjoyment spectrum, especially if you plan on docking this many points for something they don't even try to do. In the same way that it would be unfair to criticize the Halo games for not having enough 2D platforming segments, it's unfair to criticize the Donkey Kong Country series for not trying to implement a story when it's never tried to.

supernihilist said:
my DKCR TF review

Graphics 10/10
Sound 10/10
Gameplay 8/10
Value 7/10
Peanuts 0/60

since peanuts are the most important part of my gaming sessions i give a overall score of 35/100

but the game is pretty good, if only they would put some of those delicious peanuts on it, its not that much effort is it?

Including a basic story (at the very least) would be about as easy as this.

You cant have a story in a platform game, hell i dont even want to see cut scenes in a platform game. Its gameplay, tight controls and variety that are the hallmarks to the great platform games.

U should have deducted more points for lack of voice acting - we all know how important hearing someone talk is to a game.