By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reviews by The Walrus: Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Would you like me to keep reviewing with my style?

Yes 24 31.58%

No 50 65.79%

Total:74
zippy said:
You cant have a story in a platform game, hell i dont even want to see cut scenes in a platform game. Its gameplay, tight controls and variety that are the hallmarks to the great platform games.

You can have a story, but it isn't a defining feature of a platfomer.

When I go into an RPG, I want a story alright and its a defining feature.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network
zippy said:
You cant have a story in a platform game, hell i dont even want to see cut scenes in a platform game. Its gameplay, tight controls and variety that are the hallmarks to the great platform games.

I disagree. I think you, and many others (if not the vast majority) THINK you can't because you've been conditioned by developers who decide not to include a story in their game for one reason or another. They've been doing it so long that people just assume they don't have the ability to put in dialogue, storyline progressing cutscenes, transitional information (for example: After Mario beats a level... *Now that Mario and friends have conquered the giant wario machine, they must now get to the heart of dinasour planet to save Fox* which would lead into the NEXT level). It seriously would not be hard to do these three things alone AT ALL and by doing them bam you have a story that can be pretty decent!

That really isn't considered story...

Just dialogue fluff.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

What are you talking about? The story in this game is amazing. Donkey Kong's Island home island IS INVADED BY VIKINGS.

VIKINGS.

I don't understand. What more do you want? The story in this game is told through visuals and music. Story should NOT get in the way of gameplay. Ever. It is why many modern games that have a heavy narrative fail. This game succeeds however, because it tells a story in the levels. World 5 is a perfect example of this. We learn a lot about the fruit producing factory. What the factory makes, what the fruit looks like. The game doesn't tell us explicitly what's going on because that would be bad storytelling in the medium of video games.

Also, remember 5-2? That penguin on the machine? We really saw the desperation of the Vikings. They were absolutely DESTROYING the factory, and they didn't care. They are afraid of Donkey Kong, and don't want him to get back to his island, and will at any costs try and stop him.

This is how you do story in video games.

NO CUTSCENES.

NO DIALOGUE.

Through the visuals and sound in the actual gameplay.

I actually kinda know what you mean. I don't value story much myself, but take Mario Galaxy, for example. Having some sort of overarching narrative, with the storybooks and whatnot, did give me a certain level of investment in the game and it's world over something like, say, DKCR or Kirby. Beatbuddy is giving me the same feeling. I doubt I'd be enjoying it as much if it weren't for the dialogue and characters, unimportant as they may seem with a game like that.

That said, I definitely wouldn't take more that a couple points(out of 100) off of a gameplay focused title over something as mostly irrelevant as story. While some decent storytelling definitely does improve a game, all you need to do is think back to Mario Sunshine to see that having no storyline is a heck of a lot better than having one that's complete ass. Actually, the same goes for voice acting.

I'll add to that and say that a game that focuses entirely on gameplay with no story to speak of is much preferable to a game which focuses on storyline too much, sacrificing playability for atmosphere, or "realism," imo.

Around the Network
supernihilist said:
my DKCR TF review

Graphics 10/10
Sound 10/10
Gameplay 8/10
Value 7/10
Peanuts 0/60

since peanuts are the most important part of my gaming sessions i give a overall score of 35/100

but the game is pretty good, if only they would put some of those delicious peanuts on it, its not that much effort is it?

This is great, I laughed so hard.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Dulfite said:
bouzane said:
"Story: The most important part of a game for me. /30"

No offense but video games have terrible stories and playing games for this reason is beyond my comprehension.

Some video games have great stories. Ever played The Last Story for Wii? Or Thousand Year door for Gamecube? The story of the Halo games was my favorite part of them! If you don't like the stories that's fine, but I'm kind of tired of people in this thread belitting me (not saying you're doing that specifically) for appreciating stories in games more than anything else.

Again, not to offend but if those are your examples of good stories in video games then we'll never agree. They feature a few of the required elements such as original settings and interesting characters but I would never read their novelizations, let alone call them great. The best examples of good stories in video games that I can think of are adventure games like Grim Fandango and adventure games are simply awful in terms of gameplay. The only title that I can think of that strikes a balance between gameplay and story with any real success is The Last of Us. It was hardly the best game I have ever played or the best story I have ever encountered but it managed to do both adequately, something I have not encountered elsewhere.

Are you Jamie Hyneman? ;p

Sounds like it's not a good game!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

MTZehvor said:
impertinence said:
Dulfite said:
bouzane said:
"Story: The most important part of a game for me. /30"

No offense but video games have terrible stories and playing games for this reason is beyond my comprehension.

Some video games have great stories. Ever played The Last Story for Wii? Or Thousand Year door for Gamecube? The story of the Halo games was my favorite part of them! If you don't like the stories that's fine, but I'm kind of tired of people in this thread belitting me (not saying you're doing that specifically) for appreciating stories in games more than anything else.

I am sorry to have to inform you that no videogame has a great story. Most likely you have come to the opposite conclusion because you mistake the immersion that is gained from interactivity for a great story. In reality however, a good story and a good videogame are mutually exclusive entities and any 'story driven' game to date is a medicore compromise between two incompatible forms of expression.

I contest this statement. The Ace Attorney titles, Okami, Spec Ops: The Line, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Fire Emblem: Awakening, to name a few, all contained incredible stories and were quite fun to play too. With the exception of Spec Ops, I'd probably consider every single one of those "great" games from a pure gameplay perspective as well. A great story is easily compatible with great gameplay, and a narrative can often take a merely good experience and make it an overall great one. Immersion is just one part of it; some of the stories in these games are ones that I've watched others play through first and found myself engrossed by on the sole merits of the narrative quality. Story is certainly not all there is to a game, but you definitely need to expand your gaming horizons if you seriously believe that there has never been a video game with a great story.

As for the review, I'll simply echo what most people have been saying, but perhaps do so a bit less harshly. If story really means that much to you in a game, then more power to you. Play story driven games, and have fun with them. But you might want to hold off reviewing games that are outside of your enjoyment spectrum, especially if you plan on docking this many points for something they don't even try to do. In the same way that it would be unfair to criticize the Halo games for not having enough 2D platforming segments, it's unfair to criticize the Donkey Kong Country series for not trying to implement a story when it's never tried to.

Contest it all you want. It still remains a fact. 100% of the time people say that there are videogames with great stories they acts as if there are no objective standards for good story telling. When they say "This story is great" they mean: "I really enjoyed this story". In the real world however, there are standards both for story telling, and for game design. Furthemore, these standards are in direct conflict on many fronts. Most easily seen in the linear structure of stories vs the interactivity of a videogame. This chasm can not be crossed, and any attempt to do so will necessarily mean that one or the other has to compromise it's structure, or as is most often the case when people try to make a story driven videogame: they are both compromised.