By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your thoughts on the Tomb Raider Reboot?

Tagged games:

^^

Amazing 25 27.17%

Great 32 34.78%

Good 16 17.39%

Decent 7 7.61%

Medriocre 8 8.70%

Bad 2 2.17%

Terrible 2 2.17%

Total:92
d21lewis said:

People that like the old ones may be true fans but they remind me of Resident Evil fans. They dislike the change but they forget how people were complaining about how stale the franchises were before the direction change. That's why Core got booted from Tomb Raider and Crystal Dynamics took over with Legend. Core was killing one of gaming's biggest IPs

Yeah, Core was killing TR, and switching to CD was a good move. What you don't seem to take into account is that since CD took over, IP was on the rise again  (TR:L - 1.57mil; TR: A - 2.28mil; TR:U - 3.35mil).

CD proved with those 3 games that they are more than capable to refresh the game AND keep the essentials intact, and if they were to proceed in that direction I beleive subtle changes would be implemented over time that would make the franchise even fresher, while staying true to original.

TR Reboot, besides not being really good of a game on its own, is simply not TR game...it lacks all the key elements that make TR game a TR game. Maybe they'll improve on that in the future, but I have pretty big reservations about that, seeing how easily they ditched all the core mechanics (and Lara's badassery) of the originals.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
d21lewis said:

People that like the old ones may be true fans but they remind me of Resident Evil fans. They dislike the change but they forget how people were complaining about how stale the franchises were before the direction change. That's why Core got booted from Tomb Raider and Crystal Dynamics took over with Legend. Core was killing one of gaming's biggest IPs

Yeah, Core was killing TR, and switching to CD was a good move. What you don't seem to take into account is that since CD took over, IP was on the rise again  (TR:L - 1.57mil; TR: A - 2.28mil; TR:U - 3.35mil).

CD proved with those 3 games that they are more than capable to refresh the game AND keep the essentials intact, and if they were to proceed in that direction I beleive subtle changes would be implemented over time that would make the franchise even fresher, while staying true to original.

TR Reboot, besides not being really good of a game on its own, is simply not TR game...it lacks all the key elements that make TR game a TR game. Maybe they'll improve on that in the future, but I have pretty big reservations about that, seeing how easily they ditched all the core mechanics (and Lara's badassery) of the originals.

She'll get there.  You saw the hints of her being a badass in the latest game.  She went from being afraid to cross a log bridge to jumping from zipline to zipline with confidence and dual weilding pistols at the end.  She even did a fair share of trash talking as the game progressed.  The foundation has been laid and updated for today's gamer.  I'm sure the issues that have been raised will be addressed and they'll find the right balance.  It's just the origin story for a new Lara and we witnessed the birth of a survivor.

Im maybe the biggest TR fan, well maybe not, but This TR reboot has been the best TR game since TR2.

The optional tombs were a blast to find , explore and complete.

On a list of all TR games, this is the BEST in the series.

d21lewis said:
HoloDust said:

She'll get there.  You saw the hints of her being a badass in the latest game.  She went from being afraid to cross a log bridge to jumping from zipline to zipline with confidence and dual weilding pistols at the end.  She even did a fair share of trash talking as the game progressed.  The foundation has been laid and updated for today's gamer.  I'm sure the issues that have been raised will be addressed and they'll find the right balance.  It's just the origin story for a new Lara and we witnessed the birth of a survivor.

Yeah, that's the thing, there is already enough lore in original TR to know how Lara became what she became, and that Lara was way more likebale than this whiney mess they served us in the reboot.

When it comes to story and characters, I felt like I was transported back in time to 80s and bad direct to VHS movies (had the same feeling while playing FarCry 3, unlike FC3 Blood Dragon which doesn't takes itself serious) - I guess that's the price we pay when established IP gets updated for today's gamers, along with all the other sacrifices.

adriane23 said:
NiKKoM said:
.. Lara moans and squeeks that much that my gf woke up in the middle of the night and walked into the room and said: "nikkom wtf are you doing"

Lesson learned: had to buy a new headset after that..

Be honest, you didn't have any pants on either.

who in the world wears pants while gaming? crazy talk..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

sabastian said:
Im maybe the biggest TR fan, well maybe not, but This TR reboot has been the best TR game since TR2.

After that sentence, your fan memebership is automatically revoked.

The optional tombs were a blast to find , explore and complete.

There are no other tombs in the game BUT optional. For the game that is called TOMB Raider, that is pretty idiotic, especially since how few of them there is, how short they all are and how piss easy they are.

On a list of all TR games, this is the BEST in the series.

Heresy. Burn him. ;)

The game was good overall, but wasn't really tomb raider. The optional tombs were really small and simple and puzzles were non existent. Still enjoyed the game, but not as a tomb raider game. Sequel needs Massive tombs that take up whole sections, complex puzzles that force you to trial and error, with less emphasis on combat. Oh and jump scares.

I absolutely love this game. It had something new to me like the very first Tomb Raider.
To start, nothing in my opinion beats the first Tomb Raider, it was a ground-breaking experience and technically absolutely amazing on the consoles way back then. The atmosphere, the difficulty, the story, everything sucked me in in the 90's. It was extremely hard due to the controls but it was extremely fun.
Now the reboot... It is really something new. Very good controls, very good graphics on 360, solid framerate, nice story they hooked up (looked up on the internet for more details)... The feeling of "I am in this game" was very good and the difficulty was very good balanced, in my opinion. Perhaps by times a little bit too cinematic (btw, I think TR1 started with these elements, IIRC ).
Sadly, the "boss"-fight was way too easy and too short... I am looking forward to a sequel on next-gen hardware!
9.4/10.

I loved the old Tomb Raider games but good lord. That was a franchise where you knew what to do, had the knowledge of how to do it, and then died because it was so horrible to control! A lot of people wanted a more streamlined game and, with Legend, we got it. People complained about it, too. A lot felt it had too much action and flash and not enough exploration. To me, Legend was the Tomb Raider game I always wanted.

I kinda want to go back and play Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld and re-experience their lore but, as I said before, this game does it for me. It's the most accessible and dumbed down Tomb Raider of them all but I still felt like I was surviving and exploring a hostile environment. It changes a lot of things but, in the end, it's loyal to the source. Think of it as the JJ Abrams' Star Trek of the Tomb Raider world.

.....And I really liked the new Star Trek.

i thought it was a good action adventure game,fun combat,enjoyed it

but i am a tomb raider man

Above & Beyond