By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 and Xbox One should reduce resolution imo.

Dont care about resolution. But if ps4 can output more resolution than xbox one then why hold back ps4? I dont get it.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

Is 1080p noticeable compared to 720p?  Yes it is.  But is it so much more noticeable that twice the amount of effects pushed into a 720p game wouldn't make it look better than the same 1080p game with less graphical effects? 

Take a look at Ryse.  When it was 1080p some things looked better, but overall they were able to make the game look a lot better by dropping resolution by a fourth.  Compare that to the retail release of Infamous Second Son.  The game still looks amazing, but the degredation in quality is a disappointment in my opinion.  I would rather have the quality of graphics they had back in E3 at 9i00p rather t han the current build they have now. 

At the end of the day, 1080p is noticeable over 720p, but it doesn't matter when it takes away from the performance and quality you could otherwise have at a lower resolution.

There is no downgrade

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=180104&page=1#31

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

kupomogli said:
vivster said:
The lower the resolution, the more anti-alaiasing you need which also takes some performance while still having fist sized pixels and jaggies everywhere.

That's why maybe 900p instead of 1080p.  Don't get rid of all the benefits of a higher resolution, just don't push all the extra resources you have into double the resolution.  You'll still need AA, but a rather weak AA would do the trick.

We'll see what Infamous has to offer. It looks quite sharp with lots of light and particle effects. If it doesn't dip below 30fps I think we have proof of concept.

Though I doubt we will see this kind of visual fidelity ever at 1080p60 this generation. If they manage to just keep this level of visuals without dipping below 30fps(like last gen did) then I think we'll have a good baseline to work with. I wouldn't want to trade off a sharp native resolution for some shinier effects.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

IMHO - 1080p should be mandatory on next gens.

PSone was 240p
PS2 480p
PS3 i most cases 720p

So there is no excuse why PS4 should drop under 1080p

No need for 60fps, no need for AA.

lol OP thinks 1080p isnt necessary, yet 1080p doesnt seem to be enough for him to notice there wasnt a downgrade and that the only difference between the screenshots in the lighting and the resulting change in tone of the colour and shadows.

Around the Network

Well, when it comes to resolution vs frame rate in a game like a FPS, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Having to settle for 30fps (or an unstable frame rate) in a fast paced game feels less next-gen to me than a lower pixel count - as long as the resolution is at least 720p anyway.

Infamous looks great though except for those screen shots you put in the OP.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Infamous wasn't downgraded, some people are posting full res uncompressed pics on neogaf now, they have like 7 different weathers and the bright one is just more sunny, if anything, the work was upgraded since the clothing has more detail now even with the shittier SS. I do agree however that 720p with more effects is also a good way to go and we'll see that in the future I'll bet since 720p with good filter AA can look really good as we've already seen in God of War 3.

Xenobot said:
IMHO - 1080p should be mandatory on next gens.

PSone was 240p
PS2 480p
PS3 i most cases 720p

So there is no excuse why PS4 should drop under 1080p

No need for 60fps, no need for AA.

Well I'm glad not all developers think like you.

Some genres are better when running at 60 fps. Sony agreed when it came to KZ:SF's multiplayer.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I do agree but not on games that look good in 1080p regardless... Like for example, Lets say Watch_Dogs e3 looked that good but its at 720p vs the recent version but at 1080p, they should, without a doubt, go for the 720p version cause it looks ages better but for something like Infamous, not so much imo

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850