By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 and Xbox One should reduce resolution imo.

As the generations continues it is only going to be easier to hit higher resolutions. There is not a lot of optimization in the early games BF4, COD:G, AC4. The devs are not yet properly using the 6 available cores, and GPGPU is still uncharted territory. Sony and MS will release better SDK, and over time the OS footprint will shrink giving the devs more memory.

I would be very surprised if this years COD on XBO was not 900p/60 with much improved graphics over ghost. The next battlefield will undoubtedly be 1080p/60 on PS4 and will look much better.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

While currently playing this

This is going to make my brain melt

Hardly a difference between generations, right...
No need to lower resolution for more detail. It's better to be able to see in the distance than guess where projectiles are coming from.

SvennoJ said:

While currently playing this

This is going to make my brain melt

Hardly a difference between generations, right...
No need to lower resolution for more detail. It's better to be able to see in the distance than guess where projectiles are coming from.

this is effectively what PC gamers have been saying for years, now that consoles can do the same some mindles idiots think the resolutions should be lowered, mabe they need their heads examined.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

kupomogli said:

Is 1080p noticeable compared to 720p?  Yes it is.  But is it so much more noticeable that twice the amount of effects pushed into a 720p game wouldn't make it look better than the same 1080p game with less graphical effects? 

Take a look at Ryse.  When it was 1080p some things looked better, but overall they were able to make the game look a lot better by dropping resolution by a fourth.  Compare that to the retail release of Infamous Second Son.  The game still looks amazing, but the degredation in quality is a disappointment in my opinion.  I would rather have the quality of graphics they had back in E3 at 9i00p rather t han the current build they have now. 

At the end of the day, 1080p is noticeable over 720p, but it doesn't matter when it takes away from the performance and quality you could otherwise have at a lower resolution.

How do you know if a downgrade to 900p would be enough? You don't.

I have a 1440p monitor but my GPU isn't good enough for it. Most games I have to play on high or medium settings, but they surely look better than 720 or 1080p with ultra settings.

kupomogli said:
JoeTheBro said:
infamous wasn't downgraded though...

Textures look worse there though.  Apart from the time of day and such.  Clothing textures actually look real on the E32013 version compared to the retail version in the images shown.

And as I said, Infamous Second Son still looks amazing, but what happens when performance starts to become an issue.  Are they going to let performance take a hit rather than just reduce resolution or are they going to downgrade the graphics.  We're going to reach a point where games are getting better and better looking and unless taking a hit on performance, they won't be able to look better.

That's what happens when you make an op based on youtube screen captures.

Around the Network

PS4, no.

Xbox One? LOL, it would be worse than it already is.

Still flogging those bad pictures of proof there's a downgrade? Top is the new build

It's called an upgrade:

Now replace those pics in the OP with these and stop spreading FUD.

The PS5 Exists. 

I have a problem with the wording of the thread name. It's not up to the platform to lower or rise resolution. Is a developer choice. That's all it is.

PC on the other hand gives the flexibility, that's nice actually. I can chose to run Workd of Thanks at fullHD resolution with graphics on min, or 1280/1024 with some eye candy turned on. (I reverted back to max resolution for aiming purposes.).

So, should the average PC gamer's gaming PC also lower resolution?

(My answer: The question is wrong.)

i don't want to irritate too many people here but this is a video i found on youtube show casing titanfall running on a PC @ 5400X1920.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQtZd8KkyM&feature=player_detailpage

yes it costs a lot more than a console but you gotta admit that's awesome, why don't/can't the next gen consoles be equipped with the much better display port as with display port you can daisy chain displays from just a single connection.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JKQtZd8KkyM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.