By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls II official thread of telling us your journey through Drangleic

I realized yesterday that I did about 5 areas of the game with the champions covenant. It makes the enemies deal damage as if they where in NG+ 3. No wonder the game was getting too fucking hard.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
Chevinator123 said:
Xenostar said:
Anyone know if its like Dark Souls 1 yet, where you get Diminishing returns in a stat after level 30?

Or is it worth going higher in this game.

Yes.

Endurance: 1-20 = 2 pts | 20-99 is 1pt per lv

Vigor: 1-20=30hp | 20-50= 20hp | 50+=5hp

vitallity: 1-29= 1.5 | 30-49=1.0 | 50-70 =0.5

Thanks,

someone else tells me that weapon bonuses have a soft cap at lvl 40 for Str and Dex too. 

lestatdark said:
Gargoyles were the hardest boss for me so far. Died 3 times on them and then finally got the pattern right. Best thing to do is to put 2 of them in critical health, so that they start moving away from you to use their Fire Breathing/Leaping Fire breathing attack.

That'll give you a lot more room to manouver and pick them out one by one. Pure Melee strategy.

So, they come back.From Software sure loves their gargoyles.

Because of the area, I found those two from Demons (Tower of Latria) harder than the ones in Dark, you know the ones you fight on top of the church.

How do the Dark Souls 2 gargoyles compare to them?

JGarret said:
lestatdark said:
Gargoyles were the hardest boss for me so far. Died 3 times on them and then finally got the pattern right. Best thing to do is to put 2 of them in critical health, so that they start moving away from you to use their Fire Breathing/Leaping Fire breathing attack.

That'll give you a lot more room to manouver and pick them out one by one. Pure Melee strategy.

Because of the area, I found those two from Demons (Tower of Latria) harder than the ones in Dark, you know the ones you fight on top of the church.

You mean the Manticores on Tower of Latria? Those guys were tough as nails, Dark's Gargoyles couldn't match up to them.

The Belfry Gargoyles on Dark Souls 2 are another matter entirely. You fight 6 of them, 3 at the same time for most of the fight.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
JGarret said:
lestatdark said:

You mean the Manticores on Tower of Latria? Those guys were tough as nails, Dark's Gargoyles couldn't match up to them.

The Belfry Gargoyles on Dark Souls 2 are another matter entirely. You fight 6 of them, 3 at the same time for most of the fight.

3 at the same time?

Around the Network
JGarret said:
lestatdark said:
JGarret said:
lestatdark said:

3 at the same time?

Yup, and the area is slightly smaller than the top of the tower in Dark Souls too

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Slimebeast said:

How is Dark Souls 1 on PC if u play with a controller? I own the Dark Sous on PS3 of course and on PC too, but on PC it was unplayable unmodded, and with keybord and mouse still felt wierd after having played on controller on PS3.

I want to xperience Dark Souls 2 on PC only though for better grafix. When is coming out PC?

Are there many cheaters on PC version online?

Playing Dark Souls on a PC with a controller is identical to playing it on a console. I use the XBOX 360 controller and it works flawlessly.  And after the communiy patch, you can play with 1080p and antialiasing.  And no framerate issues in Blight Town.  It's the best platform to play it on.

Just finished the first playthrough. Great enemies and level design in the later areas. Time for ng+ for things I missed.

lestatdark said:
areason said:
And i have 0 human effigies, god damn bosses are hard. Spent 9 trying to win at the lost bastille, was so close yet so far. I need gold pine resin.

Do you have any Bonfire Ascetics? If you do, you can boost the power of the Bonfire near the blacksmith on Lost Bastille and use a Rusted Coin on the enhanced dogs there. I farmed about 5 human effigies before they despawned. Also, all treasures you picked out in that vicinity will re-appear as well, so the spot with Gold Pine Resin will be back too.

Some bosses are really hard, others are complete pushoevers. On Earthen Peak both bosses are laughable. Then again, i'm using a full Drangleic set with Fire Longsword +10 . Once I have enough Twinkling Titanite i'm gonna boost Drangelic Sword, it's much better for regular mobs.

What do you mean by bonefire ascetics? Is it a specfic item or are you talking about a cattegory. I'm too lazy with bosses, i could have easily won one many tries espeically with co-op but i get hectic and do a mistake. Its really hard to balance the soreness from weight lifting, the stress from studying and the pain of dark souls. I need to play an easy game to feel good about myself. 

Soriku said:
lestatdark said:
JGarret said:
lestatdark said:

3 at the same time?

Yup, and the area is slightly smaller than the top of the tower in Dark Souls too

The Maneaters in Demon's Souls weren't too bad IMO. IIRC if you stayed near the middle or behind in the dark or something, they'd just kinda circle around. You had to take that fight slow though.

I thought the Gargoyles in Dark Souls 2 were much harder since there are a lot of them. Also, I think you only have three on you if you stray too far from the start of the roof, because I remember going too far and then I saw the third Gargoyle wake up. I don't know if it stays that way the whole battle though, and plus you probably need the maneuvering room.

But yeah, tough fight. I tried summoning someone to help but then one of the Gargoyles used its lightning attack (which I hadn't seen before, so I didn't know about its range) which killed me. I left the area for a little bit, came back later with my weapon upgraded by an extra +1, and a little more Dex and Vig, and I managed to win.

areason said:

What do you mean by bonefire ascetics? Is it a specfic item or are you talking about a cattegory. I'm too lazy with bosses, i could have easily won one many tries espeically with co-op but i get hectic and do a mistake. Its really hard to balance the soreness from weight lifting, the stress from studying and the pain of dark souls. I need to play an easy game to feel good about myself. 

Bonfire Ascetics are an item you can use on a bonfire. They make the game harder (NG+ level, and then NG++ then NG+++, etc. by the number of them you use on a bonfire) but you get more souls and rare items drop more.

Also you really shouldn't be using 9 effigies on a single boss. That's too wasteful. You should've done co-op, or just came back later.

The maneaters take you by surprise because you weren't expecting to be another one joining the fray. It was the only boss to do it on the whole game, thus was a shock factor mostly. Once you had their patterns down, they were pretty easy, even without using the middle. I'd just run to one side of the area, lure a maneater, take him on and then take on the other. Worked well for all builds and all NGs.

Dark Souls II gargoyles is more of a tactical/guerrilla fight than anything else. You have to take your chances carefully, one mistake and they'll kill you while ganging up on you. I died twice, once because I didn't knew there was gonna be a third one joining the battle at the same time and the second time I was almost killing them and I got hit by that surprise Lightning attack as well.

@areason - Soriku explained it well, Bonfire ascetics makes your game harder but also increases drop chances and allows you to re-tackle bosses for more souls. 

And yeah, 9 effigies is too much. I wouldn't recommend co-op if you're having a bit of trouble on a certain boss though, because co-op also increases bosses HP and attack damage exponentially in accordance to how many phantoms you've summoned. I've had a harder time tackling the Smelter Demon boss in co-op than solo. 

Current PC Build