By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EDGE gives Yoshi's New Island 4/10 [62 on Metacritic]

something always looked off about this. hopefully there will be a demo, but ill stick to the original Yoshi's Island doesnt seem they can make a new one that comes close to the greatness of that game

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't think I've ever seen something like this before. It's common to see such logic from the same poster in two different threads, but within the same post and barely separated from each other... wow.

To clarify. 3DS 3rd party software I feel personally has been a joke. There's very little that appeals to me personally.

The second quote more applied to Nintendo consoles in general.

In the GCN days, if a game came out on all 3 formats, I'd generally get it on GCN unless it was massively broken. If Wii U was my primary format, I'd be buying Need for Speed Most Wanted on it, I'd be buying Batman Arkaham Origins on it etc.

There are people who complain about the state of 3rd party support on Nintendo consoles and go on about boycotting the developer, yet never buy the software anyway.

I know you'd prefer it to be black and white, but life never is.

3DS is a unique beast, it's such a technically limited system, that multi format 3rd party releases are actually very difficult for it. Add in that the West in general just seems to have no desire to develop handheld software and it becomes quite clear why my 3DS lineup is so 1st party centric.

Can you see the difference? I'm not complaining about Nintendo being screwed over by 3rd party devs, as I have no real desire to get 3rd party titles on Nintendo systems as they're generally the worst version of it so I understand the low sales and I can still play those games on other systems. However many people here complain about the 3rd party treatment of Nintendo consoles, then still don't buy the games anyway because it's come out a few weeks later or because what was meant to be an exclusive game suddenly lost it's exclusivity.

There's just no reason for a multi format gamer to buy a Nintendo version multi platform release anymore. 99% of the time, it's inferior.

the amount of people that feel this way is small and MOST of them wouldnt have bought the games anyway.

oniyide said:

the amount of people that feel this way is small and MOST of them wouldnt have bought the games anyway.

They're a very vocal minority, and this is why (multiplatform) 3rd party software just does not sell on Nintendo systems now. However the number of posts you frequently read about this is surprising.

Ah, the only moderation I've ever had on this forum, was calling the people who were boycotting Rayman Legends on Wii U for the delay to make it multi format idiots because not buying it at all meant they'd never see any 3rd party software again. I guess it's just too old school a concept that if you like the look of a game and want it, you buy it.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

RolStoppable said:

If you think that third party games on Nintendo platforms are not worth buying, then don't criticize other people for not buying said games. That's all.

I'm not criticizing Nintendo owners. I'm criticizing the people who vocally complain about the state of Nintendo 3rd party support despite not ever spending a penny on it themselves.

See above post regarding Rayman Legends, that one really narked me. The definitive home console version of a fantastic game, boycotted, because they had to wait a few more months while inferior PS3/360 ports were produced.

It just suggested to me, that they weren't so much interested in the game, just the fact that it was not coming out on anything else.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

vivster said:
Should've done this on WiiU anyway.
Speaking of which, where the hell is my Yarn Yoshi?

I think they need to let the Yosh retire. Yarn Yoshi? Seriously? I doubt it's going to recoup the dev costs.

Around the Network

Was I crazy for hoping this would be decent? I actually liked the music and didn't hate the art style very much.

Love and tolerate.

spurgeonryan said:
yet kids will love the hell out of it. go figure!

I was going to say "yet it'll still sell millions."

Still buying it, won't believe this is a bad game.

Yoshi's Island on the SNES is for me the best 2D platformer ever made and that isn't even only the nostalgia speaking. Yoshi's Island DS was also a very good game. Sure it wasn't as good as the SNES game, but almost nothing is. I wasn't expecting this game to beat the DS game from the start, which now also looks like it won't, but it'll still be a good purchase.

Though I have to say I agree that the game graphically looks quite mediocre and multiple steps down from the first game. And that on a console that's like a hundred times more powerful. Decisive proof that 'art-style' really is everything.

----

EDIT: And oh, as a sidenote, people clamoring for a "Year of Zelda" instead of Yoshi (which I doubt will happen anyway) are short of memory.

They already did that in 2011 when the franchise turned 25. I would've thought the event would have been noticed, as it was probably the biggest celebration for a gaming franchise's anniversary ever with multiple game releases, free games, a special edition console, an E3 presentation basically dedicated to Zelda, Club Nintendo presents and even a concert tour (of which the spin-off is still on-going three years later).