By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 confirmed by Naughty Dog at 5GB RAM for games, 6 cores available to games

vivster said:
This was known from the beginning. Why is this news?

No, it wasn't. Especially not the amount of ram.

Around the Network
DM235 said:
ethomaz said:

rolltide101x said:

Is the PS4 OS graphical effects rendered in the CPU? If not then even if the effects are 2D some (small amount) of the GPU must be reserved for it.

What OS graphical effects? The PS3 OS graphical effects are made by GPU? No.

Until the Metro UI the Windows didn't used GPU for graphical effects... just after it they stated to use GPU... the Windows XP didn't use any GPU for it and it had more graphical effects than PS4 OS.

Any idea if that alpha blend / transparency that happens when you enter the XMB from within a game is CPU or GPU rendered?  That's the only OS related graphic function I can think of.

In Windows even 2d graphics are handled by the graphics card via special functions. Doesn't mean 3d-units meant for graphics are used for this on PS4 but I'd be surprised if not.

walsufnir said:
vivster said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

Look at the date. The amount of RAM for games and flexible memory was known from the start.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
walsufnir said:
vivster said:

Look at the date. The amount of RAM for games and flexible memory was known from the start.

What about the time between reveal and the article? This is were the other assumptions came from...

walsufnir said:
vivster said:
walsufnir said:
vivster said:

What about the time between reveal and the article? This is were the other assumptions came from...

I thought this cleared up the assumptions. It was quite a big deal back then so I thought this news has already reached most people.

It's not like anyone tried to hide it, seeing how they made a statement well before the release of the console.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I thought the claims prior to launch were Sony reserved 3.5GB of RAM for non-game use to PS4 only had 4.5GB availabe for games whereas Xb one had 5. So confirmation that PS4 has 5GB is good news from my perspective. Or did I not get the last pre-launch memo confirming 5GB for games?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
I thought the claims prior to launch were Sony reserved 3.5GB of RAM for non-game use to PS4 only had 4.5GB availabe for games whereas Xb one had 5. So confirmation that PS4 has 5GB is good news from my perspective. Or did I not get the last pre-launch memo confirming 5GB for games?

See here.

They always said that there would be 1GB flexible RAM that might be used later. So I guess they did optimize it so they could use more. Best case scenario at the end of the gen would be 5.5GB for games.

vivster said:
walsufnir said:
vivster said:
walsufnir said:
vivster said:

I thought this cleared up the assumptions. It was quite a big deal back then so I thought this news has already reached most people.

It's not like anyone tried to hide it, seeing how they made a statement well before the release of the console.

Actually Sony did try to hide it.  Sony only made a statement once the article from Eurogamer broke.  Before than, it was forum post after another where people were going postal that MS had the gall to reserve, CPU, GPU and memory outside of games.

When Sony had to come out and confirm they do the same thing, people seem to change their toon and call it smart, intelligent and future proof the console.

In reality it really should not have mattered to gamers.  Gamers always see technical problems as one narrow beam.  If its not helping my game experience it must be bad unless its from the corporation I love the most.