By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 confirmed by Naughty Dog at 5GB RAM for games, 6 cores available to games

CDiablo said:
TBH I think both companies are reserving power so that later games look better. I know for a fact that a few systems have done this thus far. PS4s UI cant possibly take up 3 gbs

Would it be possible for you to expand on this? And point me in the direction of where I might find further information about it? Please. Thanks.

Around the Network

We already knew the reserves were similar? At least memory-wise, i already read so many months ago.
Doesn't stop PS4 from being faster.

drpunk said:
CDiablo said:
TBH I think both companies are reserving power so that later games look better. I know for a fact that a few systems have done this thus far. PS4s UI cant possibly take up 3 gbs

Would it be possible for you to expand on this? And point me in the direction of where I might find further information about it? Please. Thanks.

?

He is saying that  Sony reserved 3 GBs of the 8 GBs for future use.

There is no way the current PS4 OS is using 3 GBs of ram so Sony allocated more ram than was needed so they can add extra features later if need be.

I also predict the same thing is true for the 2 CPU cores it is reserving, there is no way it takes 2 cores to run the PS4 OS as it is. I am mostly curious to how much of the GPU Sony has reserved for the OS as that is the most important thing at the time being.

ethomaz made this on thread quite some time ago...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=179933&page=1#

So now we know its more powerful even with the same memory reserves, both will reduce these reserves as the generation goes on, who will be able to reduce them the most tho :)

Around the Network
Xenostar said:
So now we know its more powerful even with the same memory reserves, both will reduce these reserves as the generation goes on, who will be able to reduce them the most tho :)

I personally like the fact that Sony reserved more this time around as there are quite a few features the PS4 OS would benefit from

rolltide101x said:
drpunk said:
CDiablo said:

?

There is no way the current PS4 OS is using 3 GBs of ram so Sony allocated more ram than was needed so they can add extra features later if need be.

I also predict the same thing is true for the 2 CPU cores it is reserving, there is no way it takes 2 cores to run the PS4 OS as it is. I am mostly curious to how much of the GPU Sony has reserved for the OS as that is the most important thing at the time being.

Ooops, I was referring to the part before PS4's UI can't take 3GB. Maybe should've been clearer on that.

I'm interested in what systems reserved power for a later date, and where I might be able to read more about it. Cheers.

oh wow...is that good? I have no fucking clue.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

drpunk said:
rolltide101x said:
drpunk said:
CDiablo said:

?

Ooops, I was referring to the part before PS4's UI can't take 3GB. Maybe should've been clearer on that.

I'm interested in what systems reserved power for a later date, and where I might be able to read more about it. Cheers.

It is mostly just knowledge of ram. It only takes 1 GB of ram to run most PC operating systems how could a gaming OS take 3x more than that?

That is mainly how atleast I am looking at it, right now my PC is using 1.1 GBs of ram (Ubuntu 13.10) out of a total of 8 GBs of ram. I load quite a few applications automatically to my ram as it makes them open faster than off the HDD

Areym said:
oh wow...is that good? I have no fucking clue.

Yeah its good,

it means even with the same reserves PS4 shows its much more powerful and it also means any new feature either gets, the other should be able to handle no problem as well. So we shouldnt end up like last get where PS3 couldnt do cross game chat because there reserves were too low.