By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 confirmed by Naughty Dog at 5GB RAM for games, 6 cores available to games

CDiablo said:

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/6840-latest-firmware-update-for-psp-unlocks-a-higher-clock-speed/

Here is an instance. While not confirmed, I would guess hardware manufacturers can unlock this only for their first party studios, to make their exclusives look beter. I dont know much of anything about computer engineering but this isnt the only case. As the gen goes on the os/oses should drastically reduce freeing up ram as well.

They can unlock the clock of any component via firmware... MS did that with Xbone... they already was manufacturing Xbone when in August they choose to increase the clock... they just updated the firmware and did test to see if the clock was stable.

It is true for first and third-parties... they just need a SDK firmware update too.

To be fair I really wanted Sony to choose a clock more inline with 1.8Ghz for CPU and 900Mhz for GPU... it will give a really good boost in performance.

Around the Network

PS4 has "secret sauce" confirmed!

Or is "reserved sauce" more appropriate?

I am the Playstation Avenger.

This was known from the beginning. Why is this news?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Maybe they have some reserved for their VR headset.

CDiablo said:
TBH I think both companies are reserving power so that later games look better. I know for a fact that a few systems have done this thus far. PS4s UI cant possibly take up 3 gbs

I agree with CDiablo on this.

I am sure they are holding it back. When we heard was that the UI only used 1GB. I think they have it like this atm so they can test how the system works with multiple apps running, but i dont see anything heavier than the Browser that people can use.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

rolltide101x said:

Another possibility is that Sony reserved some of the GPU so it would be there in case they decided later to add anything that uses the GPU to the OS?

It would not suprise me either way about the effects being rendered in the cpu or the gpu. The PS4 CPU is more underpowered than the GPU so I am not sure what they have done.

I agree... could be both but nowhere close to the 10% MS is using because PS4 don't have Snap or Kinect... the PS Eye just works in game if the Devs choose to implement and use the game resources to use it.

Yeah, nothing about the PS4 OS will use anywhere near 10%. If they are holding 10% back it is for the future not for now. I do not think anymore than 5% is being held back though

ethomaz said:

rolltide101x said:

Is the PS4 OS graphical effects rendered in the CPU? If not then even if the effects are 2D some (small amount) of the GPU must be reserved for it.

What OS graphical effects? The PS3 OS graphical effects are made by GPU? No.

Until the Metro UI the Windows didn't used GPU for graphical effects... just after it they stated to use GPU... the Windows XP didn't use any GPU for it and it had more graphical effects than PS4 OS.

Any idea if that alpha blend / transparency that happens when you enter the XMB from within a game is CPU or GPU rendered?  That's the only OS related graphic function I can think of.

DM235 said:
ethomaz said:

rolltide101x said:

Is the PS4 OS graphical effects rendered in the CPU? If not then even if the effects are 2D some (small amount) of the GPU must be reserved for it.

What OS graphical effects? The PS3 OS graphical effects are made by GPU? No.

Until the Metro UI the Windows didn't used GPU for graphical effects... just after it they stated to use GPU... the Windows XP didn't use any GPU for it and it had more graphical effects than PS4 OS.

Any idea if that alpha blend / transparency that happens when you enter the XMB from within a game is CPU or GPU rendered?  That's the only OS related graphic function I can think of.

Cell on the PS3 could handle XMB effects so it is almost definitely not the GPU

BigT said:
Maybe they have some reserved for their VR headset.

I expect it to work like Remote Play on the Vita. It will stream images to it and then the camera and PSMove will track it. (my guess, based on no facts)

surely that's more than enough

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018