By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 confirmed by Naughty Dog at 5GB RAM for games, 6 cores available to games

Areym said:
oh wow...is that good? I have no fucking clue.

Depends on what you think "good" is. Do you want games to have as many resources as possible or do you want the PS4 OS to have as many features as possible?

I have a 2 GB GDDR5 GPU and I have 8 GBs of DDR3 ram on my PC when I play most games at 1080p it only requires about 1 GB of DDR3 ram and idk how much of the GDDR5 ram I use but I know that it does not fill up

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:

It is mostly just knowledge of ram. It only takes 1 GB of ram to run most PC operating systems how could a gaming OS take 3x more than that?

That is mainly how atleast I am looking at it, right now my PC is using 1.1 GBs of ram (Ubuntu 13.10) out of a total of 8 GBs of ram. I load quite a few applications automatically to my ram as it makes them open faster than off the HDD

I needed to be clearer still?

I'm not interested in PS4's RAM. I'm interested in  CDiablo saying he knows of systems that reserved power for later games to be better. i.e. what those systems were and where else I might be able to read about it so I'm not just taking CDiablo's word for it.

I appreciate you taking time to answer but they aren't the answers I'm looking for.

drpunk said:
rolltide101x said:

It is mostly just knowledge of ram. It only takes 1 GB of ram to run most PC operating systems how could a gaming OS take 3x more than that?

That is mainly how atleast I am looking at it, right now my PC is using 1.1 GBs of ram (Ubuntu 13.10) out of a total of 8 GBs of ram. I load quite a few applications automatically to my ram as it makes them open faster than off the HDD

I'm not interested in PS4's RAM. I'm interested in  CDiablo saying he knows of systems that reserved power for later games to be better. i.e. what those systems were and where else I might be able to read about it so I'm not just taking CDiablo's word for it.

I appreciate you taking time to answer but they aren't the answers I'm looking for.

PS3 gave back 70meg of ram around the time god of war 3 came out
PSP gave back 100hz more processing power as well

Its standard for consoles since the PSP, (Those that get firmware updates) for reserved resources to be reduced as the OS footprint reduces through the consoles life cycle.

It did not happen on cosoles before this, because there was no way to update the OS.

Xenostar said:
drpunk said:
rolltide101x said:

Its standard for consoles since the PSP, (Those that get firmware updates) for reserved resources to be reduced as the OS footprint reduces through the consoles life cycle.

It did not happen on cosoles before this, because there was no way to update the OS.

Also there was no point in adding resources back as you did not add features. So you just made the OS as efficient as possible and allocated the exact amount of resources the OS needs

fallen said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

The debate was regarding flexible memory which later got cleared up.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

I want a source on "people claimed to me basically that PS4 had little or no OS reserves compared to XBO", or it never happened.

Find me a source of anybody who ever DID claim the PS4 had as much reserves as Xbox One, LOL. That never happened. Like literally never, except me, on the entire internet ever, LOL.

I'll try to find a link later, fixing to nap!

The PS4 GPU reserve thing will just be a link to a forum post on Beyond3D from a former Sony employee, so you'll have an out to claim it isn't real if you wish, but it clearly is. GPU reserves will never be publically stated.

Do you know what the PS4 would be reserving the GPU for?

Around the Network
Xenostar said:

Thanks.

They  sound more like optimisations rather than actually holding back the performance of the system on purpose which is what CDiablo kinda alluded to. Maybe I misunderstood.

drpunk said:
Xenostar said:

Thanks.

They  sound more like optimisations rather than actually holding back the performance of the system on purpose which is what CDiablo kinda alluded to.

Some of it probably is due to optimizations but some of it is also due to them holding more resources than was needed.

DM235 said:

Nothing... the UI didn't use GPU at all... just CPU and memory... now the Metro UI and Kinect uses GPUs... that's the difference.

GPU on PS4 is all for games.

DM235 said:
fallen said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

The debate was regarding flexible memory which later got cleared up.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

I want a source on "people claimed to me basically that PS4 had little or no OS reserves compared to XBO", or it never happened.

Find me a source of anybody who ever DID claim the PS4 had as much reserves as Xbox One, LOL. That never happened. Like literally never, except me, on the entire internet ever, LOL.

I'll try to find a link later, fixing to nap!

The PS4 GPU reserve thing will just be a link to a forum post on Beyond3D from a former Sony employee, so you'll have an out to claim it isn't real if you wish, but it clearly is. GPU reserves will never be publically stated.

Some of the GPU is reserved for the graphical effects of the OS

Games are going to be awesome! Imagine Uncharted, will be more realistic than reality LOL

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...