By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Here's why I'm fine with Titanfall having no single player campaign.

Tagged games:

This is something I don't understand.

Titanfall, as it stands, is a game with no SP. And it proudly demonstrate that it has only online MP mode. So there's no need to critisize the game for the lack of offline campaign. Those of you who complain, this game is not aimed for you.

The million of people who bought MAG were proud of the purchase. Even if you can't play on it anymore, the memories, the excitement, the good amount of joyness playing it are there. Those consumers didn't ask for a singleplayer mode, and MAG didn't offer one because it didn't want to offer one.

Those who complained (anyone complained?) about MAG lacking singleplayer didn't understand that the game wasn't marketed to them. Those who complain about Titanfall lacking singleplayer don't understand that the game isn't marketed to them. "What if"s don't apply here, as it won't change a thing. Neither did with MAG.

Around the Network

It cuts the BS. You buy a game for the MP, that's what you get.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

akuseru said:

Cool story bro...
Tell me how TitanFall plays 5/10/15 years down the road when the servers have been taken down, ok?

By the time the servers are shut down they'll probably be on the 3rd or 4th game in the series.

Anyhow, you missed the point of the OP. There is an abundance of enjoyable single player games in the wild. But fun multiplayer games are slim pickings.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I'm fine with no single player because I got Black Ops and Black Ops II and I haven't finished the former's single player and haven't even started the latter's. It's pretty much all online for me, anyway.

Panama said:

Agreed. Absolutely worth the extra money. I hope more developers take heed of this and start charging full price for multiplayer only games.

Worth the extra money? No, is the product worth the asking price.

I say yes and I'll spend more time with this than most single player experiences.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
weaveworld said:
A good story seems to be the hardest part of creating a game so I understand they skipped that and went with the easy parts to make money.

A good story or single player campaign is something I can find in many games.

Great multiplayer is slim pickings.

Recently Completed

Because it'exclusive to your system of choice and you feel the need to defend it no matter what? Gotcha...

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

Somini said:

Because it'exclusive to your system of choice and you feel the need to defend it no matter what? Gotcha...

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

Its not my fault Xbox keeps getting great online games. Halo, Gears, and now Titanfall.

Blame MS!

Recently Completed

jlmurph2 said:

You said "if" quite a lot there. And there's always that possibility of a sequel not being as good but with a game like Titanfall the only thing they could possibly do is add more to it without changing its core/template. Not really sure what "mandatory" microtransactions are since you don't have to buy them in the first place. But Respawn's a smart studio, they don't have to listen to EA or MS because they own the game. But they will listen to the fans. Besides, who knows where gaming will be in 5 or 10 years. EVERYTHING could be connected to the internet.

Of course I said a lot of "ifs", thats my whole point, the UNCERTAINTY of the whole game being around and playable in 5/10/15 years time or even after the 2nd installment has hit the market (if they want people to migrate from TF1 to TF2). This is just my reaction to the OP calling it a "backlog" game, because IMO this can never be a backlog game when the servers are DOWN.

In 5/10/15 years I can still play all my single player games only EVERY console I ever had (at least up to PS360 generation), because the consoles will never require you to be online and do not even have ways to connect. Therefore I can say that I will have multiple consoles spanning over multiple generations of true BACKLOG games to play.

I feel you are just arguing with me just to argue. I am not saying TitanFall is a bad game, and I dont have any problems with it being online only, even though it is not for me. What I am having a problem with is the OP calling it a backlog game, when there is not even certain that the game will be playable in the future. Maybe the servers will be taken down in the mid of the generation, maybe at the end, maybe in 2 years, maybe in 20. But my point is still valid, this game can not be called "backlog".

Mr Puggsly said:
akuseru said:

Cool story bro...
Tell me how TitanFall plays 5/10/15 years down the road when the servers have been taken down, ok?

By the time the servers are shut down they'll probably be on the 3rd or 4th game in the series.

Anyhow, you missed the point of the OP. There is an abundance of enjoyable single player games in the wild. But fun multiplayer games are slim pickings.

I agree with that, and I am not disputing the fact that we have few MP games. But what if TF2, TF3 or TF4 is not enjoyable to you and you wanted to go back and play TF1, but cannot because the servers are down. There is no guarantee that Respawn will manage to maintain the quality throughout the series lifetime, and then you will be stuck with a game with no value. What if your favourite weapon is removed in TF2, what if they introduce something like "martyrdom" that annoys the hell out of you, what if TF2/TF3/TF4 is unbalanced? There are many things that can make you enjoy TF1 better than all future installments. Hopefully, Respawn/EA/MS will cater to their fans and keep the servers for TF1 up for as long as they can.