By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did Microsoft Put Secret Sauce in Xbox One? DX12 May Allow Xbox One To Save GPU Time, Render Ray Tracing, SuperFog And Custom Effects

"So effects like ray tracing, superFog or whatever custom effects we may see down the line will be implemented and thus allow for an improved frame rate and resolution now that the GPU is free for those tasks."

That really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How will "effects like ray tracing" "be implemented and thus allow for an improved frame rate".

I'm sure the new API will come with some benefits for devs. But I can't see it being more than the scale of benefits from DX 9-DX 10. One must remember as well that in the case of DX, the hardware spec is closely aligned with the next API spec. They evolve together. If people think Microsoft has come up with some way to pull enormous power out of nowhere with an API upgrade, they are dreaming.

That said, I hope the Xbox One catches a bit of a break. All the negative stuff is ridiculous.

Around the Network
whatever said:
tres said:
whatever said:
tres said:
whatever said:
I thought the cloud was the answer.

What does that have to do with anything?  You still need software.

Because all these "secret sauce" articles are silly.  As if there is some magic that MS can pull off to somehow offset its weaker hardware and achieve parity with the PS4.  They put out a weaker system, it's not the end of the world.

when has direct x ever been a secret sauce?  and why did playstation fans sound nervous when the discussion came up. we all get the percieved numbers game but i swear you would think that microsoft just design a box for show.  it should be to the point where  gamers all around just say so fucking what and just enjoy the system they have.  this  gen just started and aint no party like a fanboy party cause a fanboy party dont stop. 

Did you not read the title of this thread?  And where do you get that anyone sounds nervous?  Because they are pointing out ridiculous claims? Sorry, but DX12 isn't going to be a game changer.

still sounding like the teacher on charlie brown

Long story short: games later in the gen get more potential out of the hardware.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

tres said:

still sounding like the teacher on charlie brown

Still not making any sense...

selnor1983 said:
drkohler said:

Nice try.

Titanfall uses a FORWARD RENDERER. There is, by default, no problem here with esram.

And what is the point of your last sentence? We all know neither the PS4,PS3,PS2,PS1 nor the Wii,WiiU uses DX..

Also you do realise PS4 uses DX 11 yes?

Oh my.... where do you get these ideas from? And no, Titanfall doesn't run at 1080p on the XBox One. It has problems maintaining 40fps at 792p with too many Titans on screen. No magic in the world will allow to jump to 1080p given how it performs at 792p at this time.

No, there is not a single line of DX11.x in the PS4. PS4 uses its own HAL (whose structure is close to Mantle from what developers say). The last thing Sony would want to use is an overblown HAL designed for PCs, and then have to pay the licencing fees for it on top of that.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
selnor1983 said:
drkohler said:

Nice try.

Titanfall uses a FORWARD RENDERER. There is, by default, no problem here with esram.

And what is the point of your last sentence? We all know neither the PS4,PS3,PS2,PS1 nor the Wii,WiiU uses DX..

Oh my.... where do you get these ideas from? And no, Titanfall doesn't run at 1080p on the XBox One. It has problems maintaining 40fps at 792p with too many Titans on screen. No magic in the world will allow to jump to 1080p given how it performs at 792p at this time.

No, there is not a single line of DX11.x in the PS4. PS4 uses its own HAL (whose structure is close to Mantle from what developers say). The last thing Sony would want to use is an overblown HAL designed for PCs, and then have to pay the licencing fees for it on top of that.

Just type in DX11 PS4. Theres about 40 articles.

Also I never claimed Titanfall @ 1080p. I said there was a rumour. Its definately 900p @ 60 fps. Respawn chewed up and spat out that GAF user for claiming it was struggling with res. LOL. They said on Gaf if Titanfall was higher than 792 p then he should be permabanned. Respawn shut that GAF guy up brilliantly. He cowered away after that. ROFL.

Titanfall on Xbox One is either 900p or 1080p. This we know for definate.

As for DX12 its supposed to be a real revolution in visuals. PC devs are really looking forward to it. It is supposed to be way less hardware intensive for much better results.

Glad the Xbox One can do it.

drkohler said:
selnor1983 said:
drkohler said:

Nice try.

This.

And 

Secret Sauce does not exist.  

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

selnor1983 said:
drkohler said:
selnor1983 said:
drkohler said:

Nice try.

Also I never claimed Titanfall @ 1080p. I said there was a rumour. Its definately 900p @ 60 fps. Respawn chewed up and spat out that GAF user for claiming it was struggling with res. LOL. They said on Gaf if Titanfall was higher than 792 p then he should be permabanned. Respawn shut that GAF guy up brilliantly. He cowered away after that. ROFL.

As for DX12 its supposed to be a real revolution in visuals. PC devs are really looking forward to it. It is supposed to be way less hardware intensive for much better results.

No matter how many tiems you say it, ps4 does nit use dx. it uses OpenGl pssl, which in many ways is btter. Any enhancements Dx12 brings will also come to Ps4, Opengl, pssl. With the ps4 having a better gpu, it will utilize these better then xone.

Titanfall is 792 p with FPS in single digits in someplaces.

selnor1983 said:
drkohler said:
selnor1983 said:
drkohler said:

Nice try.

well done you found 40 people as misinformed as you, but thats what happens when you have people with no clue about a subject writing stories based off a slide from a sony conference that said PS4 will have direct x11.2+ features.

HINT: it was a comparison not an admission that they got MS to right DX11 for PS4.

selnor1983 said:

1. Cboat received a timed ban on Gaf because he insisted on 720p with alpha-textures all through the end. We know it is 792p with slightly worse textures than in the beta test.

2. Again, there is not a single line of DX11 in the PS4. The PS4 uses LibGCM (or whatever it is called), a Sony specific, low-level derivative of OpenGL.

3. DX12 was made for the PC, not the XBox One. This may be considerably confusing to you, but the signs are everywhere for anyone to see:

a) Every new DX generation required new hardware (unless the new functions are emulated in software which makes games _slower_ than before). Since DX11.x was introduced, NO gpu manufacturer has introduced new hardware. Hence DX12 will have to support "old" hardware. Fewer cpu draw calls: yes, magic: no.

b) Xbox One already uses driver that (to some degree) "code to the metal". It doesn't need another driver for accessing "the metal". DX12 in all likelihood is a hip-shot answer to Mantle which is being discussed anywhere so MS thought they need an answer to the Mantle hype.

c) There is no magic hardware within the XBox One apu. Yes, I know it is very entertaining to read misterxmedia's blog. Not for the hardware and additional layers the various "insiders" seem to see (strange that all these "insiders" write with the same atrocious spelling and grammar....). XBox One apu design was laid out years ago, when not even DX11.x was on the horizon. Hence don't expect any wonders from DX12 on the XBox One.