By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did Microsoft Put Secret Sauce in Xbox One? DX12 May Allow Xbox One To Save GPU Time, Render Ray Tracing, SuperFog And Custom Effects

DX12 will help a lot with things.

But the resolution issues of the launch window games are due to ESRAM space. Nothing more as we already know. Titles that are built mainly with the new SDK will all fair much better in resolution.

As for DX12 stuff, I do remember a rumour before XB1 came out that XB1 was the only console to be DX12 ready.

Around the Network

What are the DX12 features? Where's everybody reading that it's gonna be similar to Mantle? Have previous DX upgrades brought improved performance? Pretty much the only thing I know on this subject is that DX11 made tesselation and a few other effects possible.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

selnor1983 said:

But the resolution issues of the launch window games are due to ESRAM space. Nothing more as we already know. Titles that are built mainly with the new SDK will all fair much better in resolution.

As for DX12 stuff, I do remember a rumour before XB1 came out that XB1 was the only console to be DX12 ready.

Nice try.

Titanfall uses a FORWARD RENDERER. There is, by default, no problem here with esram.

And what is the point of your last sentence? We all know neither the PS4,PS3,PS2,PS1 nor the Wii,WiiU uses DX<insert number>..

Trunkin said:
What are the DX12 features? Where's everybody reading that it's gonna be similar to Mantle?

"For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet. However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware.

Around the Network

The good thing about the DirectX 12 is now that it's implemented on XB1, it will also be implemented on the PC. And in this way, we can actually measure / see if there will be any improvements with hardware similar to XB1. Just you wait. But don't also forget that Sony will be updating their own APIs as well (and history tells us that they are better at it), but it won't just be as publicized.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Conina said:
Trunkin said:
What are the DX12 features? Where's everybody reading that it's gonna be similar to Mantle?

"For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet. However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware.

I see. Did that quote come from their GDC announcement page?

selnor1983 said:

what are these titles? b/c its not anything releasing soon titanfall mgsgz or near future watch dogs, come Sep-Nov when all the big 3rd party SW like COD, The Evil Within, Dying light, destiny, and witcher 3 will have all been released and if there resolution is still not matched to the ps4 will we then be able to call it or is the new SDK not being used in these titles?

Play Me

Trunkin said:
Conina said:
Trunkin said:

I see. Did that quote come from their GDC announcement page?

Yes, it's in the description for the GDC talk of Windows graphics development manager Anuj Gosalia entitled "DirectX: Evolving Microsoft's Graphics Platform."

So I could be wrong but when I read through I never saw ms saying anything plus I never saw anyone from ms say this will give the x1 better performance then the ps4. What I did read was that this could help improve the fps and resolution for gamed on the x1