By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [EDITED]Wii U owners, do not buy WatchDogs!

Zero999 said:
Hedra42 said:
Zero999 said:
Hedra42 said:
Zero999 said:

amazing "arguments". well, part of this "job" of making money includes marketing the damn thing and not pissing customers. a good way of not pissing customers is not giving them a product that is months late and expect them to like it.

A better way of not pissing customers is not giving them a half-finished product on time and expecting them to like it.

when did I suggest that?

It's what can be inferred from the majority of posts you've made so far in this thread - describing the decision to delay the Wii U game until it is finished as being "biased", "unprofessional", "disgusting""disrespectful", "makes no sense", and going on to say that "no one is allowed to defend this disgusting move by ubisoft." By who's order is that?

So, if releasing a half-baked version in May to coincide with the other releases isn't what you think should happen after all, what alternative did you have in mind? Delay everything else until the Wii U version is complete and lose even more money? That's the question oniyide asked you yesterday and you still haven't answered it.

I'd be interested to know your solution.

I already said countless times that they should release every version simultaneously, all completely FINISHED.

Yeah, in an ideal world. But it isn't an ideal world, and for whatever reason, they couldn't do it. And you still didn't answer the question.

Just for fun,  and maybe to help you out a little bit, here are some figures. (They've been rounded somewhat for simplicity's sake, but anyone feel free to correct the math if any of it is wrong)

Wii U install base = 6m-ish, PS3 80m, X360 80m (I'm going to assume all PS4 and X1 owners previously owned a PS3/X360 so I won't add those in) 

Total potential Watch Dogs audience 166m. Wii U owners represent just under 4% of potential Watch Dogs audience globally.

X1 preorders is 160k. PS4 preorders is 200k. X360 and PS3 preorders are around 100k each give or take a few k.

Wii U preorders (you said roughly 1/4 of PS3 or X360, right?) is therefore ~25k.

Total preorders therefore equal 585k, or thereabouts. Wii U preorders represent just over 4% of total US preorders.

Let's look at the preorder uptake by hardware sales in the US for the newer consoles.

X1 - 160k of 2.3m - just under 7%

PS4 - 200k of 2.6m - just under 8%

Wii U 25k of 2.3m - just over 1%

Even if we take this notion that Wii U owners historically tend not to preorder so much to be true, it doesn't look good. There are far more Sony/MS console owners out there than there are Wii U owners that might buy the game in the future, once you take all the prev gen owners into account.

So, rather than throwing words around like 'disgusting', 'disrespectful', 'biased', and all the rest to describe Ubisoft's decision, here's the same question posed a different way:

If you were facing a seething pack of potential customers, who have already sat out a delay of 6 months, and you have to tell them either

a) OK, 96% of you, we have your game ready, so you can have it now. The other 4%, you'll have to make do with some half-baked rubbish we never finished, because we have to fill our obligation to deliver everything at the same time.

or

b) OK, 96% of you, we have your game ready, but you can't have it. We're going to sit on it for a further undetermined length of time until we finish the game for the remaining 4% so we can fill our obligation to deliver everything at the same time.

Which would you choose?

Around the Network
Hedra42 said:
Zero999 said:

I already said countless times that they should release every version simultaneously, all completely FINISHED.

Yeah, in an ideal world. But it isn't an ideal world, and for whatever reason, they couldn't do it. And you still didn't answer the question.

Just for fun,  and maybe to help you out a little bit, here are some figures. (They've been rounded somewhat for simplicity's sake, but anyone feel free to correct the math if any of it is wrong)

Wii U install base = 6m-ish, PS3 80m, X360 80m (I'm going to assume all PS4 and X1 owners previously owned a PS3/X360 so I won't add those in) 

Total potential Watch Dogs audience 166m. Wii U owners represent just under 4% of potential Watch Dogs audience globally.

X1 preorders is 160k. PS4 preorders is 200k. X360 and PS3 preorders are around 100k each give or take a few k.

Wii U preorders (you said roughly 1/4 of PS3 or X360, right?) is therefore ~25k.

Total preorders therefore equal 585k, or thereabouts. Wii U preorders represent just over 4% of total US preorders.

Let's look at the preorder uptake by hardware sales in the US for the newer consoles.

Even if we take this notion that Wii U owners historically tend not to preorder so much to be true, it doesn't look good. There are far more Sony/MS console owners out there than there are Wii U owners that might buy the game in the future, once you take all the prev gen owners into account.

So, rather than throwing words around like 'disgusting', 'disrespectful', 'biased', and all the rest to describe Ubisoft's decision, here's the same question posed a different way:

If you were facing a seething pack of potential customers, who have already sat out a delay of 6 months, and you have to tell them either

a) OK, 96% of you, we have your game ready, so you can have it now. The other 4%, you'll have to make do with some half-baked rubbish we never finished, because we have to fill our obligation to deliver everything at the same time.

or

b) OK, 96% of you, we have your game ready, but you can't have it. We're going to sit on it for a further undetermined length of time until we finish the game for the remaining 4% so we can fill our obligation to deliver everything at the same time.

Which would you choose?

I already answered the damn question but you clearly isn't getting it.

"OK, 96% of you, we have your game ready, so you can have it now. The other 4%, you'll have to make do with some half-baked rubbish we never finished, because we have to fill our obligation to deliver everything at the same time."

"OK, 96% of you, we have your game ready, but you can't have it. We're going to sit on it for a further undetermined length of time until we finish the game for the remaining 4% so we can fill our obligation to deliver everything at the same time."

for the bolded: UBISOFT IS TAKING RESOURCES AWAY FROM THE WII U VERSION IN ORDER TO DELIVER THE OTHERS FIRST. BUT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO FINISH ALL VERSIONS AND RELEASE THEM SIMULTANEOUSLY.

UNDETERMINED LENGTH OF TIME? HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WOULD TAKE IF THEY ACTUALLY CARED? THEY NEVER GAVE DATE MORE ACCURATE THAN SPRING. LATE JUNE OR EARLY JULY WOULD BE PERFECTLY FINE IF THEY WERE HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE TO FINISH THE GAME BY MAY. AND NO, THEY DON'T LOSE A CENT IF A VERSION IS READY AND WAIT A LITTLE LONGER TO RELEASE IT.

And just a reminder, those "4%" aren't less important than the rest, especially when they have the potencial to increase even before the game releases. at least they HAD potencial, now ubisoft is telling them to fuck themselves.

Really... this is the kind of post a 10 y/o would create.

Whatever happened to buying games you want to play and not buying games you don't want to play? If it's a good game I'd buy it, if not I wouldn't.

Zero999 said:
Hedra42 said:
Zero999 said:

or

Which would you choose?

"OK, 96% of you, we have your game ready, so you can have it now. The other 4%, you'll have to make do with some half-baked rubbish we never finished, because we have to fill our obligation to deliver everything at the same time."

"OK, 96% of you, we have your game ready, but you can't have it. We're going to sit on it for a further undetermined length of time until we finish the game for the remaining 4% so we can fill our obligation to deliver everything at the same time."

for the bolded: UBISOFT IS TAKING RESOURCES AWAY FROM THE WII U VERSION IN ORDER TO DELIVER THE OTHERS FIRST. BUT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO FINISH ALL VERSIONS AND RELEASE THEM SIMULTANEOUSLY.

UNDETERMINED LENGTH OF TIME? HOW LONG DO YOU THINK IT WOULD TAKE IF THEY ACTUALLY CARED? THEY NEVER GAVE DATE MORE ACCURATE THAN SPRING. LATE JUNE OR EARLY JULY WOULD BE PERFECTLY FINE IF THEY WERE HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE TO FINISH THE GAME BY MAY. AND NO, THEY DON'T LOSE A CENT IF A VERSION IS READY AND WAIT A LITTLE LONGER TO RELEASE IT.

And just a reminder, those "4%" aren't less important than the rest, especially when they have the potencial to increase even before the game releases. at least they HAD potencial, now ubisoft is telling them to fuck themselves.

No, you haven't answered the question, which has been asked 3 times, now.

Oniyide: "So they should delay ALL versions of the game and lose out on sales for versions that are actually going to do good to appease a few thousand people who MIGHT get it on WIi U? Is that what they should do? answer the question."

All you've been saying is that they should release them all together. Yes, we all know that, in an ideal world, but they'd already had one delay, so it's no longer ideal. You haven't said how they're supposed to achieve that in the position they're in, which is what the question was about, and even when I presented two possible alternative answers to you, you were still unable to decide.

Now, understand this. Delays. Cost. Money.

A quote from Dominic Guay, when talking about the original delay back in October: “The good news is when HQ and the studio management here looked at the game, they understood what we’re trying to do with Watch Dogs and they agreed. They said: We understand, we see the same thing as you, you guys need more time. They agreed to it. I don’t know if I’m going to get that luxury every time I ship a game, but in this case it really was beneficial." Source

News of that delay caused their shareprice to drop by 26%, caused anticipated sales for 2013-2014 to fall by 0.4 billion Euro, and gave rise to an anticipated operating loss of 40 to 70 million Euro compared with a previously anticipated profit of 110 to 125 million Euro. Source

Do you think they could honestly get away with delaying EVERYTHING again if one version is still not complete?

The original delay was to give a better gaming experience to their customers. They risked all of that, for their customers, Wii U customers included.

LATE JUNE OR EARLY JULY WOULD BE PERFECTLY FINE IF THEY WERE HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE TO FINISH THE GAME BY MAY. AND NO, THEY DON'T LOSE A CENT IF A VERSION IS READY AND WAIT A LITTLE LONGER TO RELEASE IT. - Rubbish. Every day of delay, hell, every HOUR of delay is potential sales lost. This is true across every industry in the world.

And just a reminder, those "4%" aren't less important than the rest, - you are correct, here. And that is why they're going that extra mile to finish doing for the Wii U version what they've done for the other versions. Maybe they have needed to pull some Wii U developers to help on the others, but pushing the Wii U version back will have been a risk-based decision, and not anything to do with Wii U customers being viewed as 'second class'. In the business world, delaying that 4% and releasing the rest reduces potential loss of sales, and raises more funds from sales to invest in developing other games - maybe even the Wii U version itself.

So far, from what I read around the internet, there is every indication that the Wii U version will come, and it will have been given every bit as much TLC in its development as the rest of the versions. It's just taking longer.

Now, if it turns out further down the line that the Wii U game is put on hold indefinitely or cancelled, then your anger, and everything you've said about Ubisoft will be justified.

But right now, it's not.

Ubisoft’s shares dropped 26.2% yesterday to an eight-month low after announcing the delayed release of two titles until next year.

The company announced that the highly anticipated Watchdogs would be delayed until  June 2014 with The Crew, a car racing franchise delayed until September 2014. At end of day yesterday, shares were at €8.19, giving the company a market value of €782 million.

Yves Guillemot, CEO told investors “In a world of mega-blockbusters, we have now come to the conclusion that the team needed additional time.”

The delay was blamed on pressure to meet consumer expectations and the French publisher admitted the decision would cause it to swing to an operating loss for the 2013 to 2014 fiscal year.

Operating losses of between €40 million and €70 million are now expected, compared to the previous target of a profit of €110 to €125 million. Sales forecast for 2013 through 2014 now stand at between €995 million euros and €1.05 billion, down from the original target of €1.42 to €1.45 billion

Read more at http://www.gamesindustry.com/ubisoft-shares-drop-26-following-postoned-release-watchdogs/#60tPiVff93FS0bgt.99

The delay was blamed on pressure to meet consumer expectations and the French publisher admitted the decision would cause it to swing to an operating loss for the 2013 to 2014 fiscal year.

Operating losses of between €40 million and €70 million are now expected, compared to the previous target of a profit of €110 to €125 million. Sales forecast for 2013 through 2014 now stand at between €995 million euros and €1.05 billion, down from the original target of €1.42 to €1.45 billion

Read more at http://www.gamesindustry.com/ubisoft-shares-drop-26-following-postoned-release-watchdogs/#60tPiVff93FS0bgt.99

Ubisoft’s shares dropped 26.2% yesterday to an eight-month low after announcing the delayed release of two titles until next year.

The company announced that the highly anticipated Watchdogs would be delayed until  June 2014 with The Crew, a car racing franchise delayed until September 2014. At end of day yesterday, shares were at €8.19, giving the company a market value of €782 million.

Yves Guillemot, CEO told investors “In a world of mega-blockbusters, we have now come to the conclusion that the team needed additional time.”

Around the Network
Hedra42 said:
Zero999 said:

Oniyide: "So they should delay ALL versions of the game and lose out on sales for versions that are actually going to do good to appease a few thousand people who MIGHT get it on WIi U? Is that what they should do? answer the question."

All you've been saying is that they should release them all together. Yes, we all know that, in an ideal world, but they'd already had one delay, so it's no longer ideal. You haven't said how they're supposed to achieve that in the position they're in, which is what the question was about, and even when I presented two possible alternative answers to you, you were still unable to decide.

A quote from Dominic Guay, when talking about the original delay back in October: “The good news is when HQ and the studio management here looked at the game, they understood what we’re trying to do with Watch Dogs and they agreed. They said: We understand, we see the same thing as you, you guys need more time. They agreed to it. I don’t know if I’m going to get that luxury every time I ship a game, but in this case it really was beneficial." Source

News of that delay caused their shareprice to drop by 26%, caused anticipated sales for 2013-2014 to fall by 0.4 billion Euro, and gave rise to an anticipated operating loss of 40 to 70 million Euro compared with a previously anticipated profit of 110 to 125 million Euro. Source

Do you think they could honestly get away with delaying EVERYTHING again if one version is still not complete?

The original delay was to give a better gaming experience to their customers. They risked all of that, for their customers, Wii U customers included.

LATE JUNE OR EARLY JULY WOULD BE PERFECTLY FINE IF THEY WERE HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE TO FINISH THE GAME BY MAY. AND NO, THEY DON'T LOSE A CENT IF A VERSION IS READY AND WAIT A LITTLE LONGER TO RELEASE IT. - Rubbish. Every day of delay, hell, every HOUR of delay is potential sales lost. This is true across every industry in the world.

And just a reminder, those "4%" aren't less important than the rest, - you are correct, here. And that is why they're going that extra mile to finish doing for the Wii U version what they've done for the other versions. Maybe they have needed to pull some Wii U developers to help on the others, but pushing the Wii U version back will have been a risk-based decision, and not anything to do with Wii U customers being viewed as 'second class'. In the business world, delaying that 4% and releasing the rest reduces potential loss of sales, and raises more funds from sales to invest in developing other games - maybe even the Wii U version itself.

So far, from what I read around the internet, there is every indication that the Wii U version will come, and it will have been given every bit as much TLC in its development as the rest of the versions. It's just taking longer.

Now, if it turns out further down the line that the Wii U game is put on hold indefinitely or cancelled, then your anger, and everything you've said about Ubisoft will be justified.

But right now, it's not.

YES, THEY SHOULD DELAY ALL VERSIONS TO RELEASE THEM TOGETHER. AND NO, THEY WOULDN'T LOSE MONEY WITH THIS.

in the business world, telling your consumers to f*ck themselves doesn't do you any good. they are completely hindering any sucess the wii u version might get.

Zero999 said:
Hedra42 said:
Zero999 said:

But right now, it's not.

YES, THEY SHOULD DELAY ALL VERSIONS TO RELEASE THEM TOGETHER. AND NO, THEY WOULDN'T LOSE MONEY WITH THIS.

in the business world, telling your consumers to f*ck themselves doesn't do you any good.

Well, considering you're saying this in the face of hard evidence to the contrary - (Source), all I can say is that I can see a certain irony in your signature.

Good luck to you, Sir.

This was hilarious all of it. Zero999 is a riot, it is known that the more a game is delayed it losese money. You cant make money on a game that is not on the shelves. LOL the longer a game is out the more potential sales it can have its common sense. Just be real and say you want the Wii U version out at the same time and you dont care what happens to Ubi.

In the quest by Nintendo fans to punish third party developers they are in essence punishing Nintendo and ironically pushing Nintendo closer and closer to third party status themselves.

Awesome!!!