By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If you have questions about Russia - come here! (Poll added!)

Di you like Russia?

Yes, I love it! 218 35.68%

No, I hate it. 144 23.57%

Russia is strange... 130 21.28%

Don't know yet, curious ... 67 10.97%

Don't know and don't care. 45 7.36%

Total:604
Mnementh said:
Lumikki said:
Mnementh said:
NewGuy said:
2) How hard is it to learn the language? From a speaking perspective and from a writing perspective. I know there are the rules for "feminine" and "masculine" (and also neutral) objects like in french, spanish, and portuguese. Anything else besides that? How is the grammar? Lots of verb conjugation? Any tricks to pronunciation?

And привет :)

I can answer that, as I learned russina in school. In my opinion it is pretty hard - because the grammar is more complicated than most european languages (and they are often not easy). In my opinion only Japanese is harder (even more ridiculous grammar) and even chinese is a bit easier, because of grammar. Writing cyrillic letters is not hard. That's the only thing I still can, I forgot most russian words after school.

I also learnt Russian in school and I think it's not the easiest, but in the same time it's the hardest language. For example I think German was much much more trickier than Russian. There's lots of irregularity in grammar and not always the words are pronounced as written (o is sometimes pronounced as a etc). I could say that if you learn the cyrillic alphabet you will notice that Russian has borrowed lots of loan words from German/English/Swedish/French and it easies the learning a lot if you are familiar with those languages. I haven't either used Russian for a long time and starting forgetting.....

As I'm german, I have no problems with it. But I agree, most foreigners I know claim german is very hard to learn.

@pezus: I can't Icelandic, is it really that hard?

It all comes down to who is teaching you the language I think.  I'm american, but took german in high school and I found it very easy and natural to pick up.  However, my teacher was actually nationally recongnized as one the best in the country too...

Around the Network

Do you guys think that it was a huge mistake to sell Alaska? I mean, damn...

crissindahouse said:

Do you guys think that it was a huge mistake to sell Alaska? I mean, damn...

Yes

what do you think about russian germans or volga germans, or whatever they call them. what do you think about the ones living in germany now and the one who stayed in russia. I'm myself one, I can talk in russian although I'm really bad at it but I can't read it because I was never in a russian school(and reallllyyy lazy). Sometimes I meet real russians on vacation. for them I'm sometimes a nazi, sometimes a traitor and sometimes a comrade.

i would ask one.....why is russia too damn huge

Around the Network
aviggo77 said:
i would ask one.....why is russia too damn huge

Ivan the Terrible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_the_Terrible

pezus said:
Mnementh said:
Lumikki said:

I also learnt Russian in school and I think it's not the easiest, but in the same time it's the hardest language. For example I think German was much much more trickier than Russian. There's lots of irregularity in grammar and not always the words are pronounced as written (o is sometimes pronounced as a etc). I could say that if you learn the cyrillic alphabet you will notice that Russian has borrowed lots of loan words from German/English/Swedish/French and it easies the learning a lot if you are familiar with those languages. I haven't either used Russian for a long time and starting forgetting.....

As I'm german, I have no problems with it. But I agree, most foreigners I know claim german is very hard to learn.

@pezus: I can't Icelandic, is it really that hard?

It is. Infamously so. Even for a lot of Icelanders. I can't imagine trying to learn it if I came from England/USA, for example.

From what I read up just a few minutes ago, Icelandic should be easier for English speakers than some others.  Also, it says it's subjective as they say learning any language is "hard."  Some are easier than others, but there isn't really a hardest one.  

It goes to explain that declensions are probably the reason why it's considered so difficult.

pezus said:
^Some of you guys must not have tried studying Icelandic

Well i think that not that many have tried to study Finnish either... =P

Sharu said:
cantaim said:
Can you please tell me what russians think of Joe Stalin.

I think he was a great leader, the best we had in the 20th century. I know that not all Russians will agree with me, but it is my opinion.

I can somewhat understand how people in Russia like Putin but Stalin? What!? One of the biggest and most cold blooded dictators in human history. Deported millions of people after (and during) WWII and purged hundreds of thousands. Even Lenin was afraid of Stalin before he died and made a testament that was however suppressed by the ruling troika (That included Stalin).

haxxiy said:
lukeroux said:
Sharu said:
lukeroux said:
Because we're paying for comunisim to this day.

Guys, at least last 25 years you're by yourself. But you prefer building better Poland by cleaning pipes in UK.

If it wasn't for you guys we wouldn't have to.

GDP per capita on Eastern Europe has been a stable one third compared to the West for at least three centuries now, though, mostly because of the Atlantic trade corridor, and a favorable climate before that. Except for the 80's, the economic growth under communism wasn't that bad. It wasn't catching up, but it wasn't eating dust either.

On the other hand, the fall of the communist regime demographically condemned most of Eastern Europe, with a few exceptions (Russia itself and the Caucasus nations). I think the Eastern bloc could have made the necessary economic and social changes and pull a China, but instead it collapsed in a rather spetacular fashion ://

Yeah. I'm not a terrible enemy of the free markets, but they need to be adopted judiciously. If you go from a heavily regulated, protected market to a market with fewer barriers to trade, all you end up with is a country with no comparative advantage (due to said protectionism) getting eaten alive by foreign firms, then everyone is out of work and you have real trouble...

The de-nationalization of the end of Communism was something that should have been undertaken gradually, even in the multiparty environment. (e.g., the death of economic Communism should have been slower than the death of political Communism).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.