By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If you have questions about Russia - come here! (Poll added!)

Di you like Russia?

Yes, I love it! 218 35.68%

No, I hate it. 144 23.57%

Russia is strange... 130 21.28%

Don't know yet, curious ... 67 10.97%

Don't know and don't care. 45 7.36%

Total:604
KillerMan said:
Sharu said:
cantaim said:
Can you please tell me what russians think of Joe Stalin.

I think he was a great leader, the best we had in the 20th century. I know that not all Russians will agree with me, but it is my opinion.

I can somewhat understand how people in Russia like Putin but Stalin? What!? One of the biggest and most cold blooded dictators in human history. Deported millions of people after (and during) WWII and purged hundreds of thousands. Even Lenin was afraid of Stalin before he died and made a testament that was however suppressed by the ruling troika (That included Stalin).

Yes, a lot of Russians love Stalin. I think the part of a problem with Stalin is a huge difference in information. Some people believe the information that Stalin killed millions of people and was a bloody killer. Some belive official statisticks which showing than in Gulags was much smaller quantities of people than in jails in modern USA. And the people killed for political repressions was not so much (less then a million during 30 years od Stalin reign).
I'll say honestly, I know that i can't believe both of the sides, and I don't know the truth. But my grandfather and grandmother, who was simple worker and peasant always say only good words of Stalin times. So, I'd be on their side and will just believe them and not some politics with their own agenda.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
haxxiy said:
lukeroux said:
Sharu said:
lukeroux said:
Because we're paying for comunisim to this day.

Guys, at least last 25 years you're by yourself. But you prefer building better Poland by cleaning pipes in UK.

If it wasn't for you guys we wouldn't have to.

GDP per capita on Eastern Europe has been a stable one third compared to the West for at least three centuries now, though, mostly because of the Atlantic trade corridor, and a favorable climate before that. Except for the 80's, the economic growth under communism wasn't that bad. It wasn't catching up, but it wasn't eating dust either.

On the other hand, the fall of the communist regime demographically condemned most of Eastern Europe, with a few exceptions (Russia itself and the Caucasus nations). I think the Eastern bloc could have made the necessary economic and social changes and pull a China, but instead it collapsed in a rather spetacular fashion ://

Yeah. I'm not a terrible enemy of the free markets, but they need to be adopted judiciously. If you go from a heavily regulated, protected market to a market with fewer barriers to trade, all you end up with is a country with no comparative advantage (due to said protectionism) getting eaten alive by foreign firms, then everyone is out of work and you have real trouble...

The de-nationalization of the end of Communism was something that should have been undertaken gradually, even in the multiparty environment. (e.g., the death of economic Communism should have been slower than the death of political Communism).

Very correct. The way american advisors put changing communism to capitalism in Soviet countries - is a big reason of a huge economic problems in 90-s and intil now.

oldschoolfool said:
Are people allowed to laugh and have fun in russia??? lol

Yeah, we allowed to have a fun, but strictly on fridays from 19 to 23. Any other time police see you smiling on the street - and you get a bullet in your head.

Final-Fan said:
Do Russians have a single European vs. Asian identity, or more than one, or none? What I mean is, if you asked Russians in western Russia and eastern Russia whether they thought of themselves as European or Asian, would they both choose the same one, or would they choose different ones, or would they say, "That doesn't even apply to me, I am only Russian"?

'Russian' is very hard to explain. Some Russian say they are European, some - Asian, some - Eurasian, but all of them still Russian in the end. )

Captain_Tom said:

But now it just seems like Putin has surrounded himself with "Yes-men" and has made a big mistake.  I get the Russian point of view here and I honestly think that Russia wasn't totally in the wrong when it sent troops to Crimia.  Having said that I think this will end very badly for Russia if they fully invade the Ukraine.  This will happen:

1) Russia will become locked in a costly war with a real modern military.  Yes, Russia will totally when, but it isn't like you are fighting insurgents hiding in caves anymore.  They have tanks, jets, milions of soldiers, and modern weapons.

2) America will fund the Ukrainian military and cause a prolonged war.

3) The Tartars will start an Anti-Russian insurgency

4) The Chechens will heat up their insurgency in Russia's time of weakness.

5) Some (not all) western powers will partially cripple Russia's economy.

So I guess my question is: What do you think of all this?

I study international law, and I really think Russia is in trouble this time...

1. You need military power to stay independant.
2. Amerika funding 'Ukrain independance' last 25 years at least. Nuland said you spend 5 billion dollars on it last 15 years, so nothing really changes.
3. Krimean Tatars - its not much of them. And Russian muslims  of Chechnia and Tatarstan already send its people to Crimea and as I understand some agreements between muslims have been made.
4. Currently - no. Not Chechens. Also all this Caucasian terrorism was a thing only because of a huge financial support of it from USA and Arab countires (Quatar first here).
5. Currently any sanctions against Russia will strike back to who makes this sanctions. The world became small and interconnected. Even if West will stop buying our gas and oil (which will be a suicide for EU) - we can sell it to China and don't care.

All the world is in trouble, at least last 5-6 years its obvious. We'll see what will happen when the things will happen, both you and I are small enough to influence big things like a world war.

Around the Network
Sharu said:

5. Currently any sanctions against Russia will strike back to who makes this sanctions. The world became small and interconnected. Even if West will stop buying our gas and oil (which will be a suicide for EU) - we can sell it to China and don't care.

Is that really a viable alternative?  While Russia's reaction to sanctions from the EU could prove devastating to those who participate (Natural Gas and Oil being in high demand from Russia), Russia is also very reliant on the EU for many other goods.  

If Russia does enact reactionary sanctions to the US and EU sanctions, I don't think anyone (especially Russia) would benefit from this.  

NolSinkler said:

American here, Michigan native. Sorry about the Cold War. Wish we could have just been friends instead of caught in that ideological struggle. Anyways. As a Russian, what do you admire about the U.S.A.? What are some things you think Russia does better than the U.S.? Thanks.

Also, I just want to say that I'm kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air. So there.

Hello! ) Cold war was a war because it had two sides. So nothing to sorry, we participated in it too, sadly.
I love american culture of 70s-80s. American movies like a Back to the future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Nightmare on elm street (old ones of course) etc etc influenced Russia greatly. I love Presley and Sinatra and Michal Jackson. Lot of people lov Metallica and Nirvana.
But its a strange feeling when you watch American movies of 80s and modern. You can easily tell that America is changed inside and changed greatly. 
And not to good. For me its just a feeling, I think you know better if it is true or not. 
In any case I sure that simple american people are good and friendly, but some of the things your leaders doing just make me shocked. 

On the 'Russia does better than USA'? Just don't know. But i know that old American Fender Guitar (made in 70-s) - is a golden thing in Russia and impossible to find... )))

MDMAlliance said:
Sharu said:

Is that really a viable alternative?  While Russia's reaction to sanctions from the EU could prove devastating to those who participate (Natural Gas and Oil being in high demand from Russia), Russia is also very reliant on the EU for many other goods.  

If Russia does enact reactionary sanctions to the US and EU sanctions, I don't think anyone (especially Russia) would benefit from this.

Sanctions against Russia will hit Russia of course. But wil hit EU too. We used to live in a close environment, but I don't want to see Iron Curtain around Russia, but this time rised from another side. It will be bad for everybody.

The point is, without Russia nobody can even enter space, US manned space missions are not gonna be there for at least 2 years, China is a lone wolf.

Nintendo 2018

English is not my native language.

What role did the mongol empire have in the birth of modern Russia?

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE