Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Watchdogs fails us, I'm done with third party

Agree?

Youve been eating too man... 99 45.62%

Yaharg 63 29.03%

Nay! 28 12.90%

I only play indie games you communist! 26 11.98%

Total:216
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The support the Wii U gets is 100% a response to the sales and the games on the Wii U platform and Nintendo themselves. Nintendo fans have been trained to mostly pay for first party on Nintendo platforms.

Maybe if we were offered quality ports of quality games, we'd buy them.

Around the Network
TornadoCreator said:
noname2200 said:
If Watchdogs fails, third parties are done with Wii U.

Seriously, you don't get to decide if you're done with third party on a Nintendo console, the third parties decide if you're worth bothering with and most of them are questioning whether you're worth their time, largely because we, as a collective, never give them a chance. Look at the N64 and Gamecube sales, (Wii is hard to compare), Nintendo console owners buy first party and ONLY first party. If Watch_Dogs doesn't see at least comparable sales on Wii U as on other systems based on user base; (ie. similar sales to the PS4/Xbone, or approx 15% of the sale on Xbox 360/PS3), you can expect to see third parties disreguarding the Wii U entirely as nothing more than "another Dreamcast" and that will be a major shame.

Yeah, and I see several third party titles that sold well, especially on the N64.

If Nintendo owners didn't buy third party titles at all (specifically on the N64 and Gamecube), then games like Resident Evil, Sonic, Star Wars, Turok and so forth don't excist.

NewGuy said:
Dulfite said:

Watchdogs is my last hope for a Good third party game and port on Wii u other than Sega (which I'm beginning to feel like is more like a second party). To be honest, the Wii u has and is getting a TON of indie games along with epic first party ones and I think I would be perfectly happy playing just first party and indie games (plus Sega) and first party/third party collaborations. If watchdog port fails, I'm done. No more watered down garbage!

If Sega was more like a 2nd party, don't you think Yakuza Ishiin would have released on WiiU? Maybe even exclusively?

People keep talking about 2nd party developers... does no-one realise there's no such thing and that the statement doesn't make sense? In commercial ventures, the 2nd party is the customer. WE are the second party.

TornadoCreator said:
NewGuy said:
Dulfite said:

Watchdogs is my last hope for a Good third party game and port on Wii u other than Sega (which I'm beginning to feel like is more like a second party). To be honest, the Wii u has and is getting a TON of indie games along with epic first party ones and I think I would be perfectly happy playing just first party and indie games (plus Sega) and first party/third party collaborations. If watchdog port fails, I'm done. No more watered down garbage!

If Sega was more like a 2nd party, don't you think Yakuza Ishiin would have released on WiiU? Maybe even exclusively?

People keep talking about 2nd party developers... does no-one realise there's no such thing and that the statement doesn't make sense? In commercial ventures, the 2nd party is the customer. WE are the second party.

I think when people mention 2nd party they are talking about a company that has close ties with one of the HW manufacturers. It's still a flawed term though. I have heard some people still mentioning IGs as Sony's 2nd party when, in reality, they are developing an XBO exclusive right now.

chocoloco said:
Luck said:
chocoloco said:

Have you guys heard of victim blaming when it comes to life?

Smarter individuals that tend to take more responsibility for their acion and what they get. They tend to be more successful and intelligent.

People that act the victim more often remain victims and are less successful in life.

I bet you guys can see where I am making a connection to this concerning whether you play a lot of quality third parties, or not.

Be smart, and change your choices and you are less likely to be a video game victim and blamer.

Have you thought that maybe some prefer playing Nintendo games over third party games ? And they hope that some decent third party offerings will be available as a bonus on their Nintendo console.

Wtf are you talking about making this a question of intelligence and success.

Are you quesioning science.?You sound like a Nintendo theologian. The answer is obvious. You have pleny of options in what you buy.

Im only questioning the nonsense written in your initial post, Mr Scientific, living in the land of the obvious, where preconceived notions are free to roam indefinitely: Be smart, buy a console that plays third-party games rather than Nintendo games.

Around the Network
Blinker said:
TornadoCreator said:
noname2200 said:

Seriously, you don't get to decide if you're done with third party on a Nintendo console, the third parties decide if you're worth bothering with and most of them are questioning whether you're worth their time, largely because we, as a collective, never give them a chance. Look at the N64 and Gamecube sales, (Wii is hard to compare), Nintendo console owners buy first party and ONLY first party. If Watch_Dogs doesn't see at least comparable sales on Wii U as on other systems based on user base; (ie. similar sales to the PS4/Xbone, or approx 15% of the sale on Xbox 360/PS3), you can expect to see third parties disreguarding the Wii U entirely as nothing more than "another Dreamcast" and that will be a major shame.

Yeah, and I see several third party titles that sold well, especially on the N64.

If Nintendo owners didn't buy third party titles at all (specifically on the N64 and Gamecube), then games like Resident Evil, Sonic, Star Wars, Turok and so forth don't excist.

Resident Evil was ported to everything that would have it and has PS2 to thank for it's success. Sonic wasn't on the N64 and the games that appeared on Gamecube we're also on either Dreamcast or PS2, Star Wars moved wholesale to Xbox so clearly Gamecube wasn't good enough, and Turok hasn't be relevent... ever.

If it wasn't made by either Nintendo or Rare it didn't matter on N64, and on Gamecube nothing third party sold even half as well as it should except Soul Caliber, and even then it only sold well because Link was in it.

TornadoCreator said:
Blinker said:
TornadoCreator said:
noname2200 said:

Resident Evil was ported to everything that would have it and has PS2 to thank for it's success. Sonic wasn't on the N64 and the games that appeared on Gamecube we're also on either Dreamcast or PS2, Star Wars moved wholesale to Xbox so clearly Gamecube wasn't good enough, and Turok hasn't be relevent... ever.

If it wasn't made by either Nintendo or Rare it didn't matter on N64, and on Gamecube nothing third party sold even half as well as it should except Soul Caliber, and even then it only sold well because Link was in it.

Apparently Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube was successful enough that they repackaged it along with the Resident Evil remake and Resident Evil Zero (both of which also sold a million copies), in a box set. Yes it sold somewhat better on the PS2, but there were more people who owned that console than the gamecube (they also ported the game to the Wii, so obviously Capcom wasn't that disappointed with the gamecube sales).

I never said Sonic was on the N64, but one of his biggest 3D success is still on the gamecube (Sonic Adventure 2: Battle).

Also Turok for the N64 actually saved acclaim from bankruptcy at the time (until they went of business in 2004). It wouldn't have had a sequel, had it not sold well.

And if your including Soul Caliber as selling well, then your excluding the other successful third party titles for the Gamecube like Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, and the second Star Wars Rogue Squadron (though I imagine the third one selling poorly lead the series to becoming part of Xbox systems primarily). Not to mention other games on the N64 like Tony Hawk Pro Skater (didn't sell as much as the PS1 version, but that had more systems sold than the N64 anyway), and WCW/nWo World Tour and Revenge, heck the poorly received 1998 South Park sold a million copies on that system.

Don't even get me started on Wii. That systems sold a lot of third party titles, despite what you claim (over a hundred titles that sold a million copies on the Wii were third party).

You (like so many other people) claim that Nintendo owners buy Nintendo games and Nintendo games only, which as I have shown is technically false. Yes the primary games bought are Nintendo games, but until the Wii-U, some third party titles (gasp) actually did sell well on the N64 and Gamecube.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The support the Wii U gets is 100% a response to the sales and the games on the Wii U platform and Nintendo themselves. Nintendo fans have been trained to mostly pay for first party on Nintendo platforms.

I'm sorry, but all of the ports a pretty damn good on the Wii. The system isn't as poweful as you make it seem. Its not a leap from the PS3 and 360. At best it will do slightly better when leveling out a multiplat. Exclusives will always look worlds better because they are specifically made for that hardware.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'm sorry, but all of the ports a pretty damn good on the Wii. The system isn't as poweful as you make it seem. Its not a leap from the PS3 and 360. At best it will do slightly better when leveling out a multiplat. Exclusives will always look worlds better because they are specifically made for that hardware.

Only two even use its extra RAM for better textures, and many lack features or have dodgy framerates.

That's the perennial problem with Nintendo fans, they only ever play 1st party games.

NES 15 of top 20 games are 1st party
SNES 13 of the top 20 games are 1st party
N64 all top 20 games are 1st party
GC 16 of the top 20 games are 1st party
Wii 13 of the top 20 games are 1st party

PS1 11 of top 20 games are 1st party
PS2 4 of the top 20 games are 1st party
PS3 4 of top 20 games are 1st party

Xb 7 of top 20 games are 1st party
X360 8 of top 20 games are 1st party

Nintendo fans are their own worst enemy when it comes to 3rd parties.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix