By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I Believe Xbox One Needs A Mininum $150 Pricecut To Be Competitive Again (I Eat That Crow)

EB1994 said:
It needs to be cheaper than the PS4 to keep up with it...So I guess I agree. 350$ Xbox One Vs. 399$ PS4.

But to be honest it's not like Xbox One is doing that bad...It's really just the PS4 is KILLING it, and it makes it seem as if the Xbox One is performing poorly.

It was doing close to Wii U numbers until late February... it is bad for me... 50k a week? It is pretty bad.

After the price cut in UK and the Titanfall bundles it started to doing better... ~70k week.... and now the first good week with the launch of the biggest game until now.

Around the Network

I never agree with these breakdown in costs for consoles. My PC cost me £230 to make and is likely much more expensive to make than either PS4 or Xbox one. It performs well above their level in CPU performance and in between them in GPU performance.

The issue with console manufacturers is paying back the huge investment in designing the model, actual manufacturing will be relatively cheap.

Here in the UK the PS4 is £349 and I think the Xbox one needs a £299 price to be competitive, if the PS4 was £329 the xbone would need to be £279 or if the PS4 was £299 perhaps £249 for xbone.

In addition to that perhaps throwing in games and perhaps six months free xbox live gold.

I personally believe both will be price cut for Christmas 2014. Perhaps PS4 to £299 and xbone to the same price perhaps with a better bundle.

Ultimately I believe this generation is Sony's.

They need to cut it by 200 for it to start outselling the PS4 regularly. No worries though, Titanfall will save it, no need for a price cut.

Just make great, EXCLUSIVE games and the system will sell just fine, even with a $500 tag. People are being to damn dramatic with the Xbox One's sales, even Microsoft. In the end, the Xbox One and Playstation 4 will probably end about even, just like the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

Also, the $500 price point is in place to not make a loss on units. 1 units takes about $471 to make if I remember correctly. Basically every price cut would result in losing money per units sold, something both Microsoft and Sony are trying to avoid with the Xbox One and Playstation 4.

I own a PS4, and originally I had no interest in the xbone, but if they cut it to 350, I might be tempted to complete the trifecta for this gen. Xbone has some really cool looking exclusives now, some really cool looking upcoming exclusives. (Sunset Overdrive looks awesome).

Around the Network
pokymon90 said:
ethomaz said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
$150 is what I think wii u should be discounted, I'm thinking. $100 price cut for xbox one tho

My point is that $100 will make the Xbone just sell like the PS4 or a little below it... $150 will make it outsell PS4 almost every week

Games will help Xbox outsell Playstation...and with Sony cancelling games left and right and laying off people I have to say Microsoft will have the edge.

As far as we know, they only canceled one game at Santa Monica. Lay offs doesn't mean a title has been canceled for Ps4... If Sony's studios can make games as good as they were on PS3 the PS4 has a great future.

FlowerGirl said:
If they do that though, you can just about kiss the Xbox division goodbye. They already posted a 4 billion dollar loss on the first Xbox, if it happens again, that's just got to be it,

And yes I know they have tons of cash, but they still can't just give stuff away because it won't stay that way.

This. Microsoft's investors are already wanting to get rid of the Xbox brand as a whole even before Xbox One has launched, because they kept taking a lot of losses during the Original Xbox & with the Xbox 360. It's not exactly making Microsoft a big amount of money like with Windows, Office, & Servers.

Doing something of what the OP has suggested will just give them more fuel to force Microsoft to either spin off the Xbox brand or to shut it down & sell it off.

Garland said:
FlowerGirl said:
If they do that though, you can just about kiss the Xbox division goodbye. They already posted a 4 billion dollar loss on the first Xbox, if it happens again, that's just got to be it,

And yes I know they have tons of cash, but they still can't just give stuff away because it won't stay that way.

This. Microsoft's investors are already wanting to get rid of the Xbox brand as a whole even before Xbox One has launched, because they kept taking a lot of loses during the Original Xbox & with the Xbox 360. It's not exactly making Microsoft a big amount of money like with Windows, Office, & Servers.

Doing something of what the OP has suggested will just give them more fuel to force Microsoft to either spin off the Xbox brand or to shut it down & sell it off.

Wow. So maybe we can like conclude that this thread was just for the sake of stealth trolling? 

Garland said:

This. Microsoft's investors are already wanting to get rid of the Xbox brand as a whole even before Xbox One has launched, because they kept taking a lot of loses during the Original Xbox & with the Xbox 360. It's not exactly making Microsoft a big amount of money like with Windows, Office, & Servers.

MS is doing exactly what I said in the OP... I can't see Microsoft cuting Xbox brand this generation but for the next one maybe.

ethomaz said:

The PS4 sales are strong... Xbone have a already know weaker hardware... so how much MS needs to make it competitive and at least sells on pair with PS4?

In my opinion MS needs at least cut the $150 of the console to make it sells close to PS4 numbers.

I believe too a $200 will start a domination in Xbone favor.

It is easy to see that... $350 is the minumin price that will make the consumer choose a weaker machine... $300 will be the obious choice even for me a PS fanbody.

What did you think guys?

I'm not saying MS will do that becuase the APU itself is already more expensive than PS4's APU and there is the Kinect... so I don't believe MS will cut that much but if they did then Xbone will be a hot product like PS4.

$300 ($200 pricecut) will be gamer changer... MS will close and change the gap to it favor in less than a year... after that just increase the gap.

I can be wrong too

Another stupid thread ...