By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Verizon CEO Wants To Charge Video Gamers More Money For Internet Access

Normchacho said:
mornelithe said:
HEMSTAR said:
Normchacho said:
Oh F-off Verizon. The U.S. already pays way too much the internet as it is.

Also, there is no way this is a "people who use the internet more should pay more" This is a "were going to raise prices, starting with people who use the internet the most."

The U.S pays nothing compared to the majority of the world.

That's mainly because the rest of the world you're referring to, isn't as covered in broadband as the US.  However, if you compare the countries with US level broadband access or higher, yes, the US on average pays more per month for connectivity.  And it's mainly because the Federal Government has contracts with the biggest telecomm providers in the country (Time Warner, ATT, Verizon, Comcast etc...), which makes it impossible (or close too it) for smaller startups to gain any headway in States.

You know what the worst part is? There is a cheaper, faster, and more reliable alternative that telecomm providers are fighting tooth and nail to stop.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2012-12-27/u-s-internet-users-pay-more-for-slower-service

Of course they will, just like the auto industry has fought tooth and nail over carbon emissions and energy efficient vehicles.  They've cornered the market, and want to keep it that way.

Around the Network

And thats why always online should never happen. You never know what's going to happen to dem internetz.

Hope they don't do that shit in germany. Internet is expensive enough as it is. I'm paying 44 € for 50 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up right now...

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Yeah, let's go all digital! I'm sure the ISPs and digital marketplaces will never screw us over! I have a dreaded feeling that data caps will become a commonplace :(

I really.. Really.. Hope t mobile in 2014 destroys everyone in mobile.. They are the only carrier that isn't in it for $$$$ over consumers..

mM

Is there a way to get back net neutrality? -.-

Around the Network

Laughing my ass off right now at all the complaints right now. Sure it may be total BS but try living in Australia where every YouTube vid I watch is 360p because I a) Dont want it to lag like a bitch and b) Dont want to go over my cap so damn quick. I hear about people going all digital this gen, I dont even understand how thats possible. I dont even download my PS+ games because they chew up like 10%+ of my cap each and take up to 18 hours depending on the file size.

Side note, since getting the internet there hasnt been a month my family hast gone over the cap. Sometimes over a week before the month ends... Man I fucking hate Australian internet

Side side note, yes Im aware better internet is available in Australia. In June when my contract is done Im moving to an Unlimited Cap but the speed is the same, shit =(

B-but the cloud...

LOLOMG! I have to pay more for consuming more? Who came up with this ridiculous concept??!?!?! Hitler? ROTFLAMAOFFS!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Mystro-Sama said:
Is there a way to get back net neutrality? -.-

There are multiple, quite easy ways. Supposedly they're even in the works. We'll see.

So the first Asshole steps up. Good I dont have service with those buttfuckers.