By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Closes North American Reader Store and pulls out of the NA Reader market completely.

Dear Reader Store customer:

As you know, our customers always come first, which is why we want to give you the news firsthand about an announcement made today from Sony regarding its plan to close Reader Store in the U.S. and Canada.

Although we're sorry to say goodbye to the Reader Store, we're also glad to share with you the new, exciting future for our readers: Reader Store will transfer customers to Toronto-based eReading company, Kobo—an admired eBook seller with a passionate reading community. We strongly believe that this transition will allow you to enjoy a continued high-quality e-reading experience. As a result of this change, we will close Reader Store in the U.S. and Canada on March 20, 2014 at 6 p.m. (EST).

So, what's next?

You don't have to do anything right now, and you'll be able to re-download your previously purchased eBooks for a limited time. In late March, you will receive a notification from us with a link that will allow you to transfer your library to Kobo. Whether you are new to Kobo or already have an account, you'll be able to transfer your Reader Store eBooks to your Kobo account so you'll continue to have access to them in the future. Plus, any existing Reader Store credits you might still have in your account will transfer to your Kobo account to use at the Kobo Store. And of course, you can continue to use your Sony Reader to read eBooks from Kobo.

We are fully committed to helping you through this exciting transition to Kobo. With the Kobo Store, you'll have access to more than 4 million of the world's best books, magazines, comics and kids' titles, all at your fingertips.

We want to thank you for being such loyal customers, a part of our reading family, and for your continued support as we work to complete this transition. It has been a pleasure reading with you!

Sincerely,

The Reader Store Team

I couldn't find a thread about this, but a few days ago I received this email. For some reason I have a Sony Reader account. Seems like another cost-cutting measure in a market where they could not compete. I guess it is not surprising when the latest model of their e-reader didn't even get a US release last year. The reader is still on sale and widely available here in Japan, but I see more of  both Kobos and Kindles on commuter trains.

Makes me wonder what pieces of Sony will remain in a few years' time. It is sad that a full-service electronics company where basically every piece of electronics can be purchased from one company may not exist in a few years.

Around the Network

This is old, isn't it?

Trimming off more off the fat

SaberSaurus said:
This is old, isn't it?

As mentioned, the mid-2013 model of the reader did not get a release in the US, so maybe there was something about it then, but the Reader store closure email was just sent out to customers in February.

At this rate how much longer until Sony closes Sony?

Around the Network

Not surprising.. A few years ago they released 2 to 3 new ereaders a year then they went from yearly to not even releasing a device.. They lost massive marketshare with that and couldn't compete anymore..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

badgenome said:
At this rate how much longer until Sony closes Sony?

Does Sony even own Sony to close Sony, considering the bad financial shape Sony is in, I'm not sure Sony even owns anything anymore, including Sony.

All these bad news points out that Sony won't go out with a bang, but rather a whimper...

Smart move, financially. Why continue to spend R&D and manufacturing dollars to be the 4th or 5th player in a niche market? Amazon, Kobo, and B&N all have more popular e-readers and online bookstores. It was a lose-lose situation of Sony and it just made sense to ditch it. I'm sure the upkeep of the e-reader store and license fees for the content were pretty hefty investments.

I'd rather Sony stick to the markets where they have a shot a competing.

ratchet426 said:
Smart move, financially. Why continue to spend R&D and manufacturing dollars to be the 4th or 5th player in a niche market? Amazon, Kobo, and B&N all have more popular e-readers and online bookstores. It was a lose-lose situation of Sony and it just made sense to ditch it. I'm sure the upkeep of the e-reader store and license fees for the content were pretty hefty investments.

I'd rather Sony stick to the markets where they have a shot a competing.

So you also think they should leave the film and television industry. Ouch.