By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Closes North American Reader Store and pulls out of the NA Reader market completely.

Acevil said:
ratchet426 said:
Smart move, financially. Why continue to spend R&D and manufacturing dollars to be the 4th or 5th player in a niche market? Amazon, Kobo, and B&N all have more popular e-readers and online bookstores. It was a lose-lose situation of Sony and it just made sense to ditch it. I'm sure the upkeep of the e-reader store and license fees for the content were pretty hefty investments.

I'd rather Sony stick to the markets where they have a shot a competing.

So you also think they should leave the film and television industry. Ouch.

Movie division isn't doing bad. 007 was pretty big and this year they will have Spider-man. The only problem is that this division is more seasonal, it makes money only when the blockbusters hit.

Around the Network
torok said:
Acevil said:
ratchet426 said:
Smart move, financially. Why continue to spend R&D and manufacturing dollars to be the 4th or 5th player in a niche market? Amazon, Kobo, and B&N all have more popular e-readers and online bookstores. It was a lose-lose situation of Sony and it just made sense to ditch it. I'm sure the upkeep of the e-reader store and license fees for the content were pretty hefty investments.

Movie division isn't doing bad. 007 was pretty big and this year they will have Spider-man. The only problem is that this division is more seasonal, it makes money only when the blockbusters hit.

i hope the new spiderman bombs hard, the first was so bad and its just a moneygrab, to make a remake after 10 years...

torok said:
Acevil said:
ratchet426 said:

It slowly becoming smaller over the year. I would write something, but my comment was sort of a joke. I don't really think they should leave. They do need to fix that whole department. Even Spiderman isn't as great as it once was, and some could argue, that it would be more sucessful with Disney. 

Sony should just close all their Sony stores, they are spinning off their TV division and sold off their PC. There is no point in keeping it when 3rd party retailers sells their smartphones and consoles better.

Acevil said:
ratchet426 said:

He said Niche market. I guess noone thinks the film and television industry is niche.

Around the Network
tiffac said:
Sony should just close all their Sony stores, they are spinning off their TV division and sold off their PC. There is no point in keeping it when 3rd party retailers sells their smartphones and consoles better.

...and...*insert drumroll*...done

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/26/sony-to-close-two-thirds-of-its-us-based-retail-stores/

Proud Sony Rear Admiral