By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U's eDRAM stronger than given credit?

starworld said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

that doesn't make any sense on pc you can easily switch high resolution on any 360/ps3 port, why would it be different for wiiu, it takes no effort to do so, unless it probably slows down performance thats why they leave them as is.

Didn't slow down performance on Trine 2 or Need for Speed. Both in fact performed better on Wii U despite the upgraded graphics.

you know if the hardware power is close this kind of thing happens different games play to different hardware strengths, if wii u ports wre always superior and you have 2 that were inferior, i would agree with you but the majority are inferior, devs that have promised the wiiu version being the best have failed, cause they proabably had too much trouble cause the lack of power and said forget this is not woth the headache, you have the samething happen with 360 and ps3.

I think the more likely reason is that they prioritised their time and money according to expected sales; that is, they put 95% of their manpower and resources into PS3/360 and didn't invest in the Wii U version for fear it wouldn't turn a profit if they devoted too much to it.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

both xbox and wii had there advantages, although i never heard of the cpu being better, do you have a source for that. as for the end result xbox  games clearly looked better to me, and it life was clearly cut short never really getting into its full potentail.

Their CPUs were around the same  clockspeed, but Wii was PowerPC while Xbox was Pentium based; PPCs are well known to outperform Pentiums at the same clock speed. Wii's CPU also had twice as much L2 cache.

I've never seen an Xbox game that looked as good to me as Mario Galaxy, and Wii didn't reach its full potential due to so few devs even trying to push it.

Seriously, on that one, I'm with you. The Wii, while not a complete gen above, was more capable than the XBox. No question about this one.
But the same applies to the Wii U compared to the PS4 and 360. Same ballpark, even if it's a slightly better in some aspects (GPU) while being weaker in other (CPU). Of course, the added RAM helps, but since the graphics memory bandwitdh isn't that different than what's found in the PS3 and 360, the end result isn't that much of a step up.

It is a similar situation to the Wii, though this time I'd say its closer to its 8th gen competitors because there's no longer the SD-to-HD divide.

curl-6 said:
starworld said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

that doesn't make any sense on pc you can easily switch high resolution on any 360/ps3 port, why would it be different for wiiu, it takes no effort to do so, unless it probably slows down performance thats why they leave them as is.

Didn't slow down performance on Trine 2 or Need for Speed. Both in fact performed better on Wii U despite the upgraded graphics.

you know if the hardware power is close this kind of thing happens different games play to different hardware strengths, if wii u ports wre always superior and you have 2 that were inferior, i would agree with you but the majority are inferior, devs that have promised the wiiu version being the best have failed, cause they proabably had too much trouble cause the lack of power and said forget this is not woth the headache, you have the samething happen with 360 and ps3.

I think the more likely reason is that they prioritised their time and money according to expected sales; that is, they put 95% of their manpower and resources into PS3/360 and didn't invest in the Wii U version for fear it wouldn't turn a profit if they devoted too much to it.

lets be honest a nextgen console released 7 years after 360/ps3 should run ports with out any effort. you can tell sony really went out of its way to make developers happy, now i'm not saying nintendo should do the same, but it at least be able to run 360/ps3 games with brute force alone.

Kane1389 said:
sc94597 said:
Kane1389 said:

Nice job comparing a 2008 game with 2014 game.

Both games were/will be released at comparable periods in their lifecycle. Two years after the release of the console. If the logic that I've seen in other threads in regards to the PS4 and XBOne holds, that they are not optimized enough to show vast improvements over the latest games of last generation, then the same should hold for the Wii U vs. last generation, which means that we should compare games that were released after similar periods of time in their life cycles. If you are to argue that there is software technique advancement, we can always remember that Nintendo games are made with their own proprietary engines and Nintendo didn't develop games with such graphical feats back then. The comparison is not only valid but optimal. 

Except that those games in Xbone/Ps4 threads are cross gen titles, never designed to take full advantage of next gen power. X is not a cross gen game. 

And WiiU as a supposed 8th gen system should have had better looking games than anything on the ps3 right at launch just like ps360 and their successors had.

And lets not pretend WKC was The best looking ps3 game in 2008. I dont see any 2014 wii u game looking better than MGS4, although Watch Dogs might prove me wrong

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=179145&page=1#42

^ That thread isn't about cross-gen titles. 

Also the comparison makes sense because they're both open-world games with similar art styles. 

starworld said:

lets be honest a nextgen console released 7 years after 360/ps3 should run ports with out any effort. you can tell sony really went out of its way to make developers happy, now i'm not saying nintendo should do the same, but it at least be able to run 360/ps3 games with brute force alone.

They placed other priorities above graphics, like being affordable, reliable, cool, quiet, and backwards compatible.

Around the Network

The competition are all of those things except backwards compatible >_>

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

the graphics is ok. It's the CPU thats kinda lacking.

SubiyaCryolite said:
The competition are all of those things except backwards compatible >_>

PS4 and Xbone are quite a bit more expensive, and it's too early to say if they are reliable.

And size, I forgot to mention size; Wii U is built to be small.

curl-6 said:

Jett Rocket could not be done on Xbox. For that matter, neither could the Mario Galaxy games.

Wii fans said its graphics would improve beyond what was seen in 2006-2008, and we were proven right. Likewise, Wii U will have games that go beyond anything seen so far.

And Need for Speed and Trine 2 had no problem increasing texture resolution, effects quality, and performance over PS3/360. Because those devs actually put in a little something called effort.

@ bolded

Are you sure? Beyond Mario Galaxy I didn't really see anything significantly superior on a tech level on Wii and that came out in 2008.

As for the porting issue, Trine 2 and NFS are both simple games with a lot less going on than most of the games that got ported to Wii U. More complex games have been much harder to pull off, even when devs have said the porting process was relatively simple.

Scoobes said:
curl-6 said:

Jett Rocket could not be done on Xbox. For that matter, neither could the Mario Galaxy games.

Wii fans said its graphics would improve beyond what was seen in 2006-2008, and we were proven right. Likewise, Wii U will have games that go beyond anything seen so far.

And Need for Speed and Trine 2 had no problem increasing texture resolution, effects quality, and performance over PS3/360. Because those devs actually put in a little something called effort.

@ bolded

Are you sure? Beyond Mario Galaxy I didn't really see anything significantly superior on a tech level on Wii and that came out in 2008.

As for the porting issue, Trine 2 and NFS are both simple games with a lot less going on than most of the games that got ported to Wii U. More complex games have been much harder to pull off, even when devs have said the porting process was relatively simple.

Conduit 1 & 2 and Jett Rocket pulled off more processor intensive tricks than Mario Galaxy, like normal mapping, dynamic global lighting, more extensive use of shaders.

And Need for Speed isn't a simple game; its a streaming open world that you move through at high speed, with other racers, civilian traffic, and cop cars on the road all at once, kicking up alpha transparencies, and often crashing spectucularly.