By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U's eDRAM stronger than given credit?

curl-6 said:
Scoobes said:
curl-6 said:

Jett Rocket could not be done on Xbox. For that matter, neither could the Mario Galaxy games.

Wii fans said its graphics would improve beyond what was seen in 2006-2008, and we were proven right. Likewise, Wii U will have games that go beyond anything seen so far.

And Need for Speed and Trine 2 had no problem increasing texture resolution, effects quality, and performance over PS3/360. Because those devs actually put in a little something called effort.

@ bolded

Are you sure? Beyond Mario Galaxy I didn't really see anything significantly superior on a tech level on Wii and that came out in 2008.

As for the porting issue, Trine 2 and NFS are both simple games with a lot less going on than most of the games that got ported to Wii U. More complex games have been much harder to pull off, even when devs have said the porting process was relatively simple.

Conduit 1 & 2 and Jett Rocket pulled off more processor intensive tricks than Mario Galaxy, like normal mapping, dynamic global lighting, more extensive use of shaders.

And Need for Speed isn't a simple game; its a streaming open world that you move through at high speed, with other racers, civilian traffic, and cop cars on the road all at once, kicking up alpha transparencies, and often crashing spectucularly.

Need for Speed is still a driving game set in an urban environment (simpler models, simpler animations, no complex models; less polygons). There's only so much going on compared to the likes of Crysis or other open world games like Assassins Creed or Arkham City.

You're right on Conduit 1 & 2, (forgot about them), but it was still only a small step-up from what I could see. Been a long time mind, although they did manage to get some nice effects on hardware with no programmable shaders.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
curl-6 said:
Scoobes said:
curl-6 said:

Jett Rocket could not be done on Xbox. For that matter, neither could the Mario Galaxy games.

Wii fans said its graphics would improve beyond what was seen in 2006-2008, and we were proven right. Likewise, Wii U will have games that go beyond anything seen so far.

And Need for Speed and Trine 2 had no problem increasing texture resolution, effects quality, and performance over PS3/360. Because those devs actually put in a little something called effort.

@ bolded

Are you sure? Beyond Mario Galaxy I didn't really see anything significantly superior on a tech level on Wii and that came out in 2008.

As for the porting issue, Trine 2 and NFS are both simple games with a lot less going on than most of the games that got ported to Wii U. More complex games have been much harder to pull off, even when devs have said the porting process was relatively simple.

Conduit 1 & 2 and Jett Rocket pulled off more processor intensive tricks than Mario Galaxy, like normal mapping, dynamic global lighting, more extensive use of shaders.

And Need for Speed isn't a simple game; its a streaming open world that you move through at high speed, with other racers, civilian traffic, and cop cars on the road all at once, kicking up alpha transparencies, and often crashing spectucularly.

Need for Speed is still a driving game set in an urban environment (simpler models, simpler animations, no complex models; less polygons). There's only so much going on compared to the likes of Crysis or other open world games like Assassins Creed or Arkham City.

You're right on Conduit 1 & 2, (forgot about them), but it was still only a small step-up from what I could see. Been a long time mind, although they did manage to get some nice effects on hardware with no programmable shaders.

really? i don't it looks any where as good as chronical of riddick, programmable shaders made a huge difference, the wii could never do lighting/shadows  orimage quality like the xbox,.and xbox could run games at 720p, that alone would of made a huge diifernce for the wii if it had those features.

starworld said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

both xbox and wii had there advantages, although i never heard of the cpu being better, do you have a source for that. as for the end result xbox  games clearly looked better to me, and it life was clearly cut short never really getting into its full potentail.

Their CPUs were around the same  clockspeed, but Wii was PowerPC while Xbox was Pentium based; PPCs are well known to outperform Pentiums at the same clock speed. Wii's CPU also had twice as much L2 cache.

I've never seen an Xbox game that looked as good to me as Mario Galaxy, and Wii didn't reach its full potential due to so few devs even trying to push it.

Seriously, on that one, I'm with you. The Wii, while not a complete gen above, was more capable than the XBox. No question about this one.
But the same applies to the Wii U compared to the PS4 and 360. Same ballpark, even if it's a slightly better in some aspects (GPU) while being weaker in other (CPU). Of course, the added RAM helps, but since the graphics memory bandwitdh isn't that different than what's found in the PS3 and 360, the end result isn't that much of a step up.

i have to desagree with you on this one, xbox could do much better textures, image quality and lighting, they both had there advantages, i'm not sure which is better.

that conuer scren of one of the best and he mario galaxy is f the worse you can get

and conker is no where near what wii can do, but can be compare to some gamecube games

of course that these games are more openword while conker is about  corridors

wii games look like this

tanok said:
starworld said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

both xbox and wii had there advantages, although i never heard of the cpu being better, do you have a source for that. as for the end result xbox  games clearly looked better to me, and it life was clearly cut short never really getting into its full potentail.

Their CPUs were around the same  clockspeed, but Wii was PowerPC while Xbox was Pentium based; PPCs are well known to outperform Pentiums at the same clock speed. Wii's CPU also had twice as much L2 cache.

I've never seen an Xbox game that looked as good to me as Mario Galaxy, and Wii didn't reach its full potential due to so few devs even trying to push it.

Seriously, on that one, I'm with you. The Wii, while not a complete gen above, was more capable than the XBox. No question about this one.
But the same applies to the Wii U compared to the PS4 and 360. Same ballpark, even if it's a slightly better in some aspects (GPU) while being weaker in other (CPU). Of course, the added RAM helps, but since the graphics memory bandwitdh isn't that different than what's found in the PS3 and 360, the end result isn't that much of a step up.

i have to desagree with you on this one, xbox could do much better textures, image quality and lighting, they both had there advantages, i'm not sure which is better.

that conuer scren of one of the best and he mario galaxy is f the worse you can get

and conker is no where near what wii can do, but can be compare to some gamecube games

wii games look like this

based off those pics xbox games looks more impressive, xbox does better AA, better textures and lighting. and that mario galaxy was the best i could find.

CPU + RAM: Wii > Xbox 1

GPU: Xbox 1 > Wii

starworld said:
tanok said:
starworld said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

wii games look like this

based off those pics xbox games looks more impressive, xbox does better AA, better textures and lighting. and that mario galaxy was the best i could find.

difference is that conker isnt openworld and those games both for gamcube and wii render at more draw distance and more enemies on screen

how much draw distance and enemies on screen you see in conker?

considering that wii and gamecube win for a long way

is not the same to render 10meter to 30 or 50 meters

is not the same to render 3 to 5 people than 15 or more aplus the draw distance, not to mention that coner world looks pretty empty, almost no environments or anything

Around the Network
tanok said:
starworld said:
tanok said:
starworld said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

wii games look like this

difference is that conker isnt openworld and those games both for gamcube and wii render at more draw distance and more enemies on screen

xbox was superior hardware to gamecube, everybody knows that, and the question what can out put better graphics, and that easily xbox since it can do 720p, if you wanted eye candy xbox easily wins, just based off that it can do hd gaming.

tanok said:
starworld said:
tanok said:
starworld said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

wii games look like this

xbox was superior hardware to gamecube, everybody knows that, it's not even close. the question what can out put better graphics, and that easily xbox since it can do 720p, if you wanted eye candy xbox easily wins, just based off that it can do hd gaming.

starworld said:
tanok said:
starworld said:
tanok said:
starworld said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

wii games look like this

xbox was superior hardware to gamecube, everybody knows that, it's not even close. the question what can out put better graphics, and that easily xbox since it can do 720p, if you wanted eye candy xbox easily wins, just based off that it can do hd gaming.

was in some ways, but outputting hd on soul calibur doesnt tell much caue gamecube as locked at 480p

i also wonder if the framerate at 720p is 60fps, maybe 30 and gamecube was 60 at 480p

xbox may have own in terms of raw power but in bandwidth and lighting and textures was gamecube

xbox was no near the 20GB/s of bandwisth of the gamecube

and conker s not openword, is corriors and few models on screen, starfox wins in those things and so does zelda and rogue squadron

Scoobes said:
curl-6 said:

NFS is open world, so what it lacks in individual model quality it makes up for in the fact that the detail stretches on and on without loading screens to partition it.  Letterboxes, street lights, etc are destructible, and you can have a ton of cars on the road at once.

Batman and AC may be open world too, to a degree, but because you move through them much more slowly, the streaming and object draw is much less demanding. NFS also does above PS360 textures, draws more reflections than those consoles, and at a smoother framerate too boot.

The effects that the Conduit games pulled off all at the same time, (normal mapping, depth of field, bloom, water simulation, texture projection, detail mapping on almost every surface) and Jett Rocket, (high resolution multitexturing effects on most surfaces, dynamic global lighting, heat distortion, all at 60fps) were significantly more demanding than any Wii games from its first two years on the market, even Mario Galaxy.

Also fun bit of trivia: Rogue Squadron III on Gamecube is perhaps the most technically advanced game of the 6th gen, pushing 20 million polygons a second, at 60fps, while running a host of then high-end effects like self-shadowing, light scattering, volumetric fog, and tons of bumpmapping.