By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video games need more women – and asking for that won't end the world

I'm all for this, but capitalism isn't politically correct. It creates characters that people want, which happen to be mostly white men with awesome abilities to live out male fantasies.

If women want better representation, they should speak with their wallets as well as get more involved in game development.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Action games are like action movies. Why was Dredd not female, no female captain of the Star Trek reboot, no women controlling the mechs in Pacific rim, why no Women of Steel, Iron women, G.I. Jane, The Wolverinette.

There are not one but two female Mech pilots in Pacific Rim, including one of main characters who drives the main "hero" Mech.

And Star Trek had a series, Voyager, with a female captain.

A great youtuber once said "As for watching an ass for hundreds of hour on a screen, may it be beautiful-or at least womanly, it feels less gay"

curl-6 said:
SvennoJ said:
Action games are like action movies. Why was Dredd not female, no female captain of the Star Trek reboot, no women controlling the mechs in Pacific rim, why no Women of Steel, Iron women, G.I. Jane, The Wolverinette.

There are not one but two female Mech pilots in Pacific Rim, including one of main characters who drives the main "hero" Mech.

True, I forgot that already and I've only seen Pacific Rim a couple of weeks ago :/ The story was mostly about Raleigh though, Mako felt like a secondary character, he even sends her up to safety to complete the mission on his own.

Voyager was good indeed, Janeway was a well rounded character. However they felt the need to introduce seven of nine to get the target audience interested again :/

Gaming has some good writers, but the vast majority aren't really creative...they think females/blacks/gays/muslims/different cultures, etc, are too different for them to understand. Whenever you force bad writers to expand their range they make the dumbest stereotypes. It really does not benefit gaming to force anybody that thinks all women love pink and girlie girl stuff to make female characters.

The best bet us females have in getting really great female main characters is to make our own games. We should keep asking politely for more females, but don't badger developers...that way good creative devs will make decent characters, while male centric devs will ignore us, avoiding an onslaught of pink versions of main characters.

In reality we won't see a very well made female lead, that women and men love, until a female developer creates her.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:
SvennoJ said:

True, I forgot that already and I've only seen Pacific Rim a couple of weeks ago :/ The story was mostly about Raleigh though, Mako felt like a secondary character, he even sends her up to safety to complete the mission on his own.

Voyager was good indeed, Janeway was a well rounded character. However they felt the need to introduce seven of nine to get the target audience interested again :/

Mako does  save them in an earlier fight though, swording the flying kaiju, Otachi, when Raleigh doesn't know what to do.

And yeah, Janeway was cool. I actually liked Seven, and not just for the eye candy. She had perhaps the most development thoughout the series of all the characters, going from an arrogant robot to a vulnerable human being.

Women in games are insignificant largely because story-driven games themselves are only a part of the story of gaming overall, so the evolution of gaming as a medium with strong story and well-developed characters is going to naturally be slower than non-interactive media, where story is the only concept.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

RCTjunkie said:
I'm all for this, but capitalism isn't politically correct. It creates characters that people want, which happen to be mostly white men with awesome abilities to live out male fantasies.

If women want better representation, they should speak with their wallets as well as get more involved in game development.

There's the problem right there. When are people "white men?"

The industry limits itself in that regard. The industry strives towards a singularity (although as the traditional console market collapses, plularism in game design is starting to become a thing again), when pluralism and an embrace of diversity would allow them greater market pull.

Cloud1989 said:
Gaming has some good writers, but the vast majority aren't really creative...they think females/blacks/gays/muslims/different cultures, etc, are too different for them to understand. Whenever you force bad writers to expand their range they make the dumbest stereotypes. It really does not benefit gaming to force anybody that thinks all women love pink and girlie girl stuff to make female characters.

The best bet us females have in getting really great female main characters is to make our own games. We should keep asking politely for more females, but don't badger developers...that way good creative devs will make decent characters, while male centric devs will ignore us, avoiding an onslaught of pink versions of main characters.

In reality we won't see a very well made female lead, that women and men love, until a female developer creates her.

Gotta say that She already exists, though her recent attempt at characterization was repugnant to men and women alike.

Awesome, yes I don't see why asking and making developers think about it won't be the end of the world. Female leads are versatile, and let's face it, easier on the eyes no matter what gender you are.

My 8th gen collection