By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video games need more women – and asking for that won't end the world

Rafux said:
Its a money thing, men buy more video games than women so developers cather to them is that simple.

Why the hell is there not one single weeding magazine for men? Because most men don't care about it but I'm sure theres a minority of men that do care about weedings but they don't whine in the internet about it.

That Brenna Hill article, blog or whatever was terrible, I'm tired of this white knight interest groups bullshit.

Damn right, want my weeding magazine!

Around the Network

The author seems to be confusing "need" with "what I want".

These aren't charities we're talking about. These are businesses which employ artists who are trying to balance creative vision with profitability. This is their living, their profession. You can tell them what you want, you can tell them that you won't buy unless you get what you want, but to say that things have to change because it's their responsibility to please you? Really, go to hell. There is no cat-given entitlement to equal representation in video-games. There is no amendment to the constitution that requires that. Climb down from your hobby horse.

Keep in mind that I'm someone who often plays with a female character because I enjoy the change of pace and who would also like to see more female main characters when it makes sense.

Honestly as long as the game is good I don't give a fuck who I play as. Why do women have to make such a big deal out of it?

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is directed by a woman; a rarity in the industry.

Well-written article, gaming does need many more women. Not just game characters, but developers. It's just so hard for females to break into such a boy's club and be treated so unfairly. Hopefully this generation of gaming sees the progressive changes necessary to help push creativity forward.

Around the Network

Eh, why not?

Game developers (or the ones who give projects the go ahead) know that guys are more likely to buy games like deep down than women.

The games industry was built primarily by men and men are more likely to in-vision games where the lead character is male. And because its been so male orientated for so long its a risk for developers to go outside the mainstream gaming norm and go with a female protagonist.

But with more and more companies taking risk and creating more and stronger female characters change is occurring.

What disconnects me from discussing female protagonist is when as opposed to positive talk about great female protagonist in games future and present and what kind of female protagonist (or male) the gaming industry has yet to touch on is negative attacks on games that are geared towards men. There will never be a time when there are not some games geared towards some distinctly male taste such as Dragons Dogma and I believe that's ok.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

I honestly don't care about the main protagonist's—or any other character for that matter—gender when I am playing. I'll trust the developers to give the best experience possible.

Action games are like action movies. Why was Dredd not female, no female captain of the Star Trek reboot, no women controlling the mechs in Pacific rim, why no Women of Steel, Iron women, G.I. Jane, The Wolverinette.

Seems games are already ahead in that department with Remember me, Beyond 2 souls, Left behind, Tombraider, Broken age, Contrast, Dreamfall chapters, Transistor, Daylight.

Choice is good, but for a heavily story driven game it doesn't always make sense to have an interchangeable main character.

Play REMEMBER ME, a very cool game with a female lead.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.