By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video games need more women – and asking for that won't end the world

KingWithNoKrown said:

We need more bad ass Bayonetta type females in gaming. 

This.  And I'm dead-@$$ serious...

Look.  Just as much as I won't tell anyone else what I SHOULD like, nobody's gonna tell me having women shown in video games with a nice rack, slim waist, and a beautiful @$$ is "BAD".  Support what you want to see.  I didn't buy TLOU DLC, not my thing.  I'm not a True Ogre because of that.  Or maybe I am, to the few women who've been molested and are now "I hate men!" activists.  I'm sorry about that... :-/  It might be others thing, that's fine.  But to say how "we" NEED more feminist heroes, that's YOUR perspective.  Good luck with the hot-blooded, hormones-flaring, women-gazing male audience (mainstream) buying into that game, developers.  Just saying... :-/

Around the Network

I'm all for more women in video games, but, what I'm not for is pressuring a company who has no interest in it, to do so. Here's a novel thought, if you are an individual with the concept for a great game with a woman as a lead character, start a studio, and build the game. It worked for Nintendo...they built a franchise on it.

The last of us.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
The last of us.

Someone will still find a way to make it seem like it is sexist.  (Feminist Frequency anybody?)  All joking aside, I definitely think it's important that we don't force game stories to have women leads, because it simply isn't always going to work out.  Thing is, if it isn't going to come out naturally, most people will be able to tell and it will weaken the entire game.  

Also, it wouldn't make sense to make very many strong female leads (or, worse yet, most of the females strong) in a game where the setting is taking place in an actual historic era where "strong" women aren't common.  It would create a disconnect and I don't see a reason for giving up immersion simply to please feminists.

MDMAlliance said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The last of us.

Someone will still find a way to make it seem like it is sexist.  (Feminist Frequency anybody?)  All joking aside, I definitely think it's important that we don't force game stories to have women leads, because it simply isn't always going to work out.  Thing is, if it isn't going to come out naturally, most people will be able to tell and it will weaken the entire game.  

Also, it wouldn't make sense to make very many strong female leads (or, worse yet, most of the females strong) in a game where the setting is taking place in an actual historic era where "strong" women aren't common.  It would create a disconnect and I don't see a reason for giving up immersion simply to please feminists.

The Last of Us is probably the strongest female lead writing ive ever seen in my life. Shes believable unlike some women ::cough::Lightening or Laracroft::cough::. Actually the writing for any female Naughty Dog makes is believable.

Around the Network
okr said:

Recent examples from my most favorite genre:
- Rosangela and Lauren Blackwell (the last game of the series which is named after their female protagonists will be released soon)
- Nicole Collard (Broken Sword - first part of the fifth game was released recently)
- Vella (Broken Age - first part of the game was released recently)
- Zoë Castillo and April Ryan (The Longest Journey/Dreamfall/Chapters series - new game is in the works, release expected this year)
- Kate Walker (Syberia series - new game is in the works, release probably next year)
- Ivo (The Book of Unwritten Tales series - new game announced two weeks ago)
- Lilly (Lilly Looking Through - one of the most charming releases of 2013)
- Sadja (Memoria - in my opinion the best p&c adventure game of 2013)
- Erica Reed (Cognition - according to fellow genre fans the best adventure game of 2013)
- Susan Ashworth (The Cat Lady, according to reviewers one of the most original p&c adventure games of 2013)
- Kaitlin Greenbriar (Gone Home, according to reviewers the best graphic adventure game of 2013)
- Nina Kalenkow and Sam Peters (Secret Files series)
- Fay (A New Beginning)
- Edna & Lili (Edna & Harvey series)
- Samantha Everett (Jane Jensen's Gray Matter)

There's also a ton of Nancy Drew games (don't know much about this series, never played one)

"Historic" genre examples:
Zanthia (The Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate) => side note: I wished someone would revive this series
Laverne (Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle)
Valanice and Rosella (King's Quest 7)
Laura Bow (The Colonel's Bequest)
Elaine Marley (Monkey Island series - not a playable character though)

Consoles: Lara, Samus, Joanna Dark, Jade (BG&E), one of the Heavy Rain characters, the Beyond: Two Souls character etc.

Not to mention pretty much all fighting games and JRPGs have female characters.

Exclude games where you don't control a human character too and the list of women-lacking games narrows down to dudebro games, whose target demographic wants to be cool at least in a videogame, even if that requires to stare at a man's ass for hundreds of hours.

Why do women have to do everything a man wants to do? It's getting real irritating. I mean look at how shitty that R ousey fight was last night. Absolute Trash! !! Women have there bunko nights and you don't see men trying to jump on that

If there is character selection, yes there should be a female option.

Otherwise fudge no!

I'm not against a female character taking the lead, but I am against an artistic vision changing because of things like this. Take Uncharted for example, since it was mentioned in the OP. Making the player female wouldn't just change cut-scenes, but completely change the game. Men and women aren't interchangeable. Right off the bat Uncharted with a female lead would need the lead to be attracted to other girls and the other girls need to be attracted to her. Just because it works in a RPG like Mass Effect, it doesn't mean it'd work everywhere else. The hardest part about this is that there is a problem, but no one is to blame. If 100 studios make 100 games with male leads, whose fault is it? There just isn't an answer.

tomb raider seemed to work so maybe SE should try rebooting parasite eve too. before the FPS hype kicked in the maleification of videogames wasn't so bad.

As a woman, I can tell you that I don't care if a protagonist is male or female. Yeah, I do feel like I'm in a boy's club whenever gaming is involved, but a simple cover is not going to change anything. To be honest I have no idea what would draw in the ladies but female protagonists that look they belong on the cover of Maxim is not it.

The Sims seems to have that magic something that brings women in. I bet games like SimCity and Theme Hospital have a good chance at attracting the ladies too. Too much FPS and shooter drive many away. Seriously, they think all games are violent. More story driven games with a little romance and a lot of mystery.

The ladies I know love BioWare games mostly because of the romance. As a girl it was Point and Click adventures that drew me in. Too bad they're gone. I might not have become a gamer were it not for them.