By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Debunking the Myth that Next Gen Consoles are too weak

BenVTrigger said:
As I said in the other thread.

The Xbox 360 GPU was top end when it released. The Cell on PS3 was cutting edge. Both Xbox One and PS4 are mid range builds at best and with the release of the 800 series this / next year both will be considered budget buillds within the next year or so.

In comparison to PC at the same time as release this generation is pretty underpowered. Both should have had a 2 TF GPU at minimum. Still though they will have some beautiful games and theres no reason not to enjoy either system just be prepared for them to be pretty significantly behind in graphics as we can already see with games releasing not even hitting 1080p especially on the Xbox One but also PS4 soon.

this /thread.

+10

34 years playing games.

Around the Network

Who says PS5 and XBOXthreesixty are to weak? I dont understand what you mean OP... O.o

Oh you are one of the people that keep calling current gen "next gen" even if the'd be 5 years into the generation? my bad...

I agree that next gen consoles ( the ones that are rleasing in 6/7 years) aren't weak. The PS4 and Xbox One on the other hand are so weak they cannot even handle 1440p 100fps games.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Oh - the AMD Jaguar was created with NETBOOKS in mind.

A current Midrange PC keeps ups with both PS4 and Xone. Both don't offer 2K, 4K, Oculus-Rift or NVidia-GSync support.

Just make a fakt check: you won't get consoles for less then the half of the price of a comparable PC anymore. The difference is about 100 or 150 bucks.

An N64 was about 4 TIMES cheaper than a comparable PC. The PS3 and Xbox 360 where alsoat least 2 TIMES cheaper. And ALL of them where at launch date HIGH END.

Neither PS4 nor Xone can even touch a high end gaming PC. No way.

In four years high end smartphones and tablets will rival them. In two years low cost PCs will match and surpass them in graphics fidelity.

And when Nvidia-Gsync catches main stream - nobody wants anymore to play with stutter, tearing and input lag...

Welp, I guess this thread ended in the same conclusion as every Console vs PC threads these days

Ps4 & X1 = Mid-ranged gaming PCs
High End PC > Ps4 & X1

But the key issue is

Ps3 & 360 = High End PCs at the time of release which the Ps4 & X1 are not... Not even close... So yea, they are "weak" by comparasion

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:

...The Xbox 360 GPU was top end when it released. The Cell on PS3 was cutting edge. Both Xbox One and PS4 are mid range builds at best and with the release of the 800 series this / next year both will be considered budget buillds within the next year or so.

lucidium said:

The performance gap between the PS4 (the newest console) and the newest PC game tech is massive. (doesnt make sense to compare it to "average" pc)....

The Xbox 360 GPU was top end when it released. ...
 => Not quite cutting edge but close, yes. However, still was not quite enough to reach 720p without sacrifices, so there was a lot of room to grow into.

The Cell on PS3 was cutting edge

=> This proved to be largely a legend. This cutting edge design was one of the worst mistakes by Sony. The CPU performance was lower than a casual CPU (Core 2 Duo) for general purposes and the graphical capabilities were so underwhelming that it had to be coupled with an NVIDIA chip late into the design.

What you guys seem to miss is that all those technical comparisons don't mean anything when you see the first generation console games were clearly inferior to their PC counterparts, both with X360 and PS3. This is NOT THE CASE today, at least with PS4. As long as you stick with 1080p, the difference between PS4 and the PC is minimal. On the other hand, the difference between PS3 and PC has always been huge in multi-platform games.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

freedquaker said:
BenVTrigger said:

...The Xbox 360 GPU was top end when it released. The Cell on PS3 was cutting edge. Both Xbox One and PS4 are mid range builds at best and with the release of the 800 series this / next year both will be considered budget buillds within the next year or so.

lucidium said:

The performance gap between the PS4 (the newest console) and the newest PC game tech is massive. (doesnt make sense to compare it to "average" pc)....

=> Not quite cutting edge but close, yes. However, still was not quite enough to reach 720p without sacrifices, so there was a lot of room to grow into.

=> This proved to be largely a legend. This cutting edge design was one of the worst mistakes by Sony. The CPU performance was lower than a casual CPU (Core 2 Duo) for general purposes and the graphical capabilities were so underwhelming that it had to be coupled with an NVIDIA chip late into the design.

What you guys seem to miss is that all those technical comparisons don't mean anything when you see the first generation console games were clearly inferior to their PC counterparts, both with X360 and PS3. This is NOT THE CASE today, at least with PS4. As long as you stick with 1080p, the difference between PS4 and the PC is minimal. On the other hand, the difference between PS3 and PC has always been huge in multi-platform games.

Thats the thing though, top end PC is rapidly moving away from 1080p. People with high end rigs like mine or others on this site have reguraly render games in 2880 x 1600 resolution and higher. All the way up to 4k with heavy AA.  

Thats not to diss on current consoles but they are nowhere NEAR a top end PC. For sure the biggest gap ever at launch between consoles and PC. My GPU alone is about as powerful as a PS4 and Xbox One combined x2.

Again that doesn't mean current consoles suck or are bad or anything but to compare them to top end PC is absolutly crazy. They are firmly in the mid tier range.

ps4 is very, very powerfull for its price.

BenVTrigger said:
freedquaker said:
BenVTrigger said:

lucidium said:

Thats the thing though, top end PC is rapidly moving away from 1080p. People with high end rigs like mine or others on this site have reguraly render games in 2880 x 1600 resolution and higher. All the way up to 4k with heavy AA.  

Thats not to diss on current consoles but they are nowhere NEAR a top end PC. For sure the biggest gap ever at launch between consoles and PC. My GPU alone is about as powerful as a PS4 and Xbox One combined x2.

Again that doesn't mean current consoles suck or are bad or anything but to compare them to top end PC is absolutly crazy. They are firmly in the mid tier range.

That is the point! PCs are moving away from 1080p but the vast majority of TVs are not. The consoles are aimed to be used in living rooms with common TVs, which will be on 1080p for the next decade. So the extra performance is almost entirely redundant. 1080p and 60fps is the max they need, and this is what PS4 gives them. If you need or like more than that, the PC is always there, nobody is contesting that. PS4 is more than capable for what it is designed for (and what the vast majority of people want).

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

freedquaker said:
BenVTrigger said:
freedquaker said:
BenVTrigger said:

lucidium said:

That is the point! PCs are moving away from 1080p but the vast majority of TVs are not. The consoles are aimed to be used in living rooms with common TVs, which will be on 1080p for the next decade. So the extra performance is almost entirely redundant. 1080p and 60fps is the max they need, and this is what PS4 gives them. If you need or like more than that, the PC is always there, nobody is contesting that. PS4 is more than capable for what it is designed for (and what the vast majority of people want).

Yeah I won't disagree with you there. The thing is though next year PS4 wont be hitting 1080p on a lot of games unless it severly compromises graphics in other areas such as texture quality, shadows, lighting, etc.

As I said the PS4 and Xbox One are more than capable machines and are by no means poor consoles. I do however think they are slightly underpowered, especially the Xbox. Its failing to hit 1080p on even last gen game ports. That is pretty alarming.

Of the 2 PS4 is certainly in a far better position and is a beast of a console. Uncharted 4 will look glorious as will many games. The GDDR5 is a huge help in that area as is the much better GPU. 

At the end of the day though, to really be safe for 5 years or so in terms of on par graphics with mid range PCs in 1080p these consoles really should have had 2 TF GPUs at minimum, especially considering there are already GPUs like my 780ti that are capable of over 5 TF.