By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It was a nice run 3DS, but PS4 launches in Japan in two days

They belong on different markets so I dont care who is first. As long as PS4 kills xbone i'm happy (not that i hate xbone, just that PS4 will get more games this way)

Around the Network

PS4, 3DS and XB1 will all be at least reasonably, if not hugely, fine (although 3DS is probably going to be smaller than DS). Ninty and Sony must really do more for Wii U and PSV, then the whole generation will be fine too. PS4 and 3DS are the most likely winners, but I'm sure that if Sony, MS and Ninty will do their best there will be enough room also for the others, like in 7th gen. XB1, despite its high price and initially horrible marketing and PR, is on the right road, PSV and Wii U need more focus and commitment and a lot better marketing from their makers.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

JoeTheBro said:

Prediction lol. PS4 will beat 3DS ww every month in 2014, 2015, and 2016.

Ok, but if not then you will put in your signature this - "I'm a homo lover".

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

DevilRising said:
Funny thing. Apparently OP not aware how much bigger portable gaming is in Japan than home gaming. I'm sure PS4 will get a nice surge from Japan at first. And then system sales will drop in Japan. There is every chance in the world you will see 3DS "back atop the world charts" again in the future at some point.

You really have to love how people seem to assume PS4 is going to be selling 100k+ numbers from now til infinity.

If we follow the flawed VGC WW charts, which overtrack 3DS and undertrack PS4, PS4 would need to sell about 2k per week to stay ahead of 3DS in Japan. Given that even 360 managed to do more than that, I think PS4 will stay on tp for quite some time.

As much as you'd like to believe it, console market in Japan is big enough for PS4 to sell more than 2k there per week

AZWification said:

Haha. You are very funny , Ryan. Those huge PS4 numbers in Japan aren't going to last too much. The PS4 will do good numbers in 2014 and maybe 2015, but that's it.

lmao your hopes and dreams dont make a good reason for why it wont sale well beyond that.

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
DevilRising said:
Funny thing. Apparently OP not aware how much bigger portable gaming is in Japan than home gaming. I'm sure PS4 will get a nice surge from Japan at first. And then system sales will drop in Japan. There is every chance in the world you will see 3DS "back atop the world charts" again in the future at some point.

You really have to love how people seem to assume PS4 is going to be selling 100k+ numbers from now til infinity.

If we follow the flawed VGC WW charts, which overtrack 3DS and undertrack PS4, PS4 would need to sell about 2k per week to stay ahead of 3DS in Japan. Given that even 360 managed to do more than that, I think PS4 will stay on tp for quite some time.

As much as you'd like to believe it, console market in Japan is big enough for PS4 to sell more than 2k there per week

You'll excuse my saying so, but I hardly think I'm the one being unrealistic here.

Portable gaming is a much bigger deal in Japan than home console gaming, because most Japanese are on the go a lot. That much is a fact. The fact that 3DS has a LOT of rpgs and other franchises that the Japanese love (Kirby, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Shin Megami Tensai, etc.), only helps it further. I read someone else comment on here that they just needed a system to play Final Fantasy on. But Final Fantasy has NEVER been as big in Japan as Dragon Quest. The reason DQIX sold the most out of the entire franchise, is in large part because it was portable, on DS. Conversely, the main reason DQX hasn't done so hot, is because MMO gaming is NOT as big in Japan as it is in the west. IE they were stupid both in making it an MMO at all, and also in not releasing it in the West where MMOs are much more popular. BUT, if DQXI is eventually announced, and is back to being a traditional rpg, AND it winds up being a 3DS excslusive? It's pretty much game over. 3DS will continue to dominate that country.

I never said that PS4 won't have success. But for anyone to expect that the system is going to sell like hotcakes there for a prolonged period of time, is rather naive.

DevilRising said:
Kane1389 said:
DevilRising said:

You'll excuse my saying so, but I hardly think I'm the one being unrealistic here.

Portable gaming is a much bigger deal in Japan than home console gaming, because most Japanese are on the go a lot. That much is a fact. The fact that 3DS has a LOT of rpgs and other franchises that the Japanese love (Kirby, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Shin Megami Tensai, etc.), only helps it further. I read someone else comment on here that they just needed a system to play Final Fantasy on. But Final Fantasy has NEVER been as big in Japan as Dragon Quest. The reason DQIX sold the most out of the entire franchise, is in large part because it was portable, on DS. Conversely, the main reason DQX hasn't done so hot, is because MMO gaming is NOT as big in Japan as it is in the west. IE they were stupid both in making it an MMO at all, and also in not releasing it in the West where MMOs are much more popular. BUT, if DQXI is eventually announced, and is back to being a traditional rpg, AND it winds up being a 3DS excslusive? It's pretty much game over. 3DS will continue to dominate that country.

I never said that PS4 won't have success. But for anyone to expect that the system is going to sell like hotcakes there for a prolonged period of time, is rather naive.

You seem to misunderstand me.

I was talking about how much PS4 needs to sell in Japan in order to outsell 3DS WORLDWIDE, not only in Japan. I dont think PS4 will beat the handheld in Japan, but seeing how it is already outselling it WW without Japan, the extra sales from that country will only widen the gap between the 2 systems.

bananaking21 said:
i think people are over estimating just how much the ps4 will sell in japan.

I think you are right.

Anfebious said:
It was good while it lasted.

Hindsight is one hell of a thing. Lol.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
Anfebious said:
It was good while it lasted.

Hindsight is one hell of a thing. Lol.

It's 20/20

Still funny that so many people expected a console with almost no quality Japanese launch games (beyond the mediocre Knack) to be successful.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC