By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 Launched in Japan!

manuel said:
lucidium said:
manuel said:
For what it's worth, as another piece of anecdotal "evidence," where I live (somewhere in West Japan, not a big city) pre-orders are still available and as far as I asked the stores every pre-order can be filled on launch day. (I asked in 3 regular stores.)

Sometimes it's good to live in smaller cities. The hype and demand is not as high and you can get almost anything without worrying about pre-orders too much.

Yeah, i was told by staff in Sagaiono that if i needed a preorder slot (i dont, already have a ps4) then their store in Odawara had some left..  screw 2 hours on the train lol.

Japanese trains are very comfortable. Definitely better than waiting 2 hours in the cold somewhere.

Do you have an American PS4 or got a Japanese one early somewhere?

I have a US retail and a Japanese debug

Around the Network

The last piece of the puzzle.

lucidium said:

It would seem as though the demand in Japan is definitely high, all that matters now is if Sony will be able to meet that demand over the first few days and weeks.

Gonna be fun to see.

What's your personal opinion on handheld vs console in Japan? Is it really that one sided? What's the main reason why people prefer mobile and handheld?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Albicant said:
It should be a decent launch over here, hopefully it can bring console gaming back into the spotlight a little.

All you see these days are people playing and talking about smartphone games. (Apart from the elementary kids, they're still firmly in Nintendo country).

You 3ds games? Because I doubt anyone there cares about smartphone games.

Who is gonna report numbers first do you think?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Who is gonna report numbers first do you think?

doesnt famitsu usually report 1st day sales of huge releases

ninetailschris said:
"While this is indeed a small cross section of both the country and the community, the demand for the console is clearly high and the comments regarding the inability to secure a preorder in most stores rang true as of all the stores i frequent i have rarely ever seen preorder slots available unless they had been put out or advertised within an hour or my arrival."

I honestly don't understand, how people can creditable make this argument anymore.
We seen it now 5 times. Lines/pre-orders in Japan means absolutely nothing.

Preorders hard to get for Wiiu? It didn't mean high demand.
Preorders for vita? It didn't mean high demand.
Preorders for 3ds? It didn't mean high demand.
Preorders for vita tv. It didn't mean high demand.
Preorders for ps3 fat. You get the point.
When will this argument based on pre-orders die?

For all we know they shipped as little as vita tv. Obviously it's not that low but you get the idea.
If we don't know numbers. We can't say high or low.

Feb 21st. 

I hope at least 400k for the launch :P

Pics please!!

Mystro-Sama said:
Albicant said:
It should be a decent launch over here, hopefully it can bring console gaming back into the spotlight a little.

All you see these days are people playing and talking about smartphone games. (Apart from the elementary kids, they're still firmly in Nintendo country).

You 3ds games? Because I doubt anyone there cares about smartphone games.

Nope - smartphone games. Puzzle and Dragons currently leading the charge. Even only a few years ago the trains would be full of DS's and PSP's, but recently as soon as anyone is old enough to have a smartphone then that is basically their primary gaming platform. I'm pretty sure Japan is the biggest market worldwide for smartphone games actually.