By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes: Microsoft Should Give XBox One To Nintendo

The article is a joke and so is Forbes.com and Forbes magazine.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Fusioncode said:
Soundwave said:
Fusioncode said:
DJEVOLVE said:
Fusioncode said:
I love how the title is worded, like Microsoft should just give Xbox to Nintendo as a Christmas present.

Here you guys have this multi-billion dollar investment. We just, Mmmmmmm don't want it anymore. This article is total sh-t. Sales in the first 3 months mean that every, if not most business should give up and give it away. not only that but they are both profiting.

Agreed. Last I checked Xbox was worth like 23 billion.  Even if MS wanted to unload Xbox, Nintendo couldn't afford it. 

Just curious where you got that 23 billion dollar number as MS purchased Skype + Nokia for far less than that combined. 

http://brandirectory.com/profile/xbox

Currently has an enterprise value of 22 billion. 

Wouldnt' "Brand Value" be more representive of how much Xbox is actually worth?

Edit: Enterprise value is the total value of all of the brands assests, which doesn't mean if it were to be sold it would be worth that much.

Edit 2: Using Enterprise value, Xbox is worth nearly as much as Porsche.

Those valuations really don't mean anything.  Nintendo in 2009 had an enterprise value of  40 billion, now it is 5 billion.    Over the next few years that brand number for Xbox, especially if PS4 keeps killing them will dwindle to nearly nothing.   It's a very volitile market.  Brands of things like food stay pretty even.  Things like Video Games, not so much.  Pretty much anything in the entertainment industry will be that way,  due to it being something that constantly needs new products to enjoy continued success.  Pepsico. on the other hand will continue to sell Mountain Dew and Pepsi regardless.  Same product being sold over and over.

Soundwave said:
bucky1965 said:
Soundwave said:
bucky1965 said:
Will never happen. Ninty is its own company. They will never merge with anyone.

Five years ago, I'd agree, but the current Nintendo faced with the humbling sting of three consecutive operating losses in a row, a Wii U flop, and the alarming erosion of the handheld market I think would be more open to a partnership like this than some might think IMO. 

The main caveats here would have to be how much control Nintendo has and would MS be a threat of buying out Nintendo at some point later down the road (though this may be a non-issue now that Nintendo has repurchased most of Yamauchi's shares). 

If nothing else, simply getting MS out of the console business makes Nintendo the defacto "other guy" in the business and would increase their stature in the industry by default. Third parties would support them just because they don't want to make games just for one platform only, more consumers might give them a chance as the spotlight is no longer split three ways, etc. etc. 

Ninty is losing money now, but are not in dire financial straits. They are even buying back 20% of their stock. Same reasons you will never see Mario on a smartphone.They don't need to. Yes they would make more money but youre at the mercy of others. And thats not in their culture, good or bad.They would rather branch off into other non gaming things.

I don't think Nintendo would accept any deal where they don't have control over the console, but if MS said "hey we're tired of making consoles, how about instead of pointlessly fighting, we help you out?", I think in that scenario Nintendo might bite. 

Nintendo is its own brand. With MS's ego, I can't see them doing it without some sort of brand recognition.MS has its own culture too.

I had a feeling that it would be a "contributor" writer who wrote this piece. I believe we need to stop linking to articles written by contributors. This isn't an article written by Forbes editors.

The only thing Nintendo would want from Microsoft is Halo and their Rare titles back. This writer doesn't understand very much outside of sales. Nintendo would run everything Microsoft stood for in terms of competitive gaming into the ground. 

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Normchacho said:
Chris Hu said:
Normchacho said:
Chris Hu said:
One of the dumbest articles I have ever read.

care to explain why?

It just is, the guy that wrote it went full retard.

That's no more of an explaination than your first post...

Well he went full retard and you can't win going full retard.  Anyway the article is full of fail.  On top of that Nintendo got their own problem its called the Wii U its in worse shape then the X1 and the XBox division.

Not really.   Sure Wii U consoles arn't selling great right now, but we all know for a fact that games like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Donkey Kong will sell great.   The only Xbox game that I know will sell great is Halo, and even at that, it will be interesting to see how the Market responds to Halo on Xbox One, when they put out 5 separate releases of it on Xbox 360.   The market already crashed for Gears of War.  Forza 5 is not doing that great.  Ryse didn't do that great.   Microsoft barely has any 1st party software, and that is what brings in the money.  

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The only thing Nintendo would want from Microsoft is Halo and their Rare titles back. This writer doesn't understand very much outside of sales. 

Pretty much.  I could no doubt see Nintendo get the Rare titles back so at the very least they could put the old titles (DKC, DK64, Banjo, Conker, Diddy Kong Racing), on the eshop and then make a new Banjo game, or maybe do something with the Kremlins again.   Halo on Nintendo would be freaking massive.  Honestly if it wasn't for Halo, I would have never bought an Xbox 360.   Gears was cool, but it was more of my Halo appetizer.   If Nintendo had all of their own 1st party stuff along with Halo, then the Nintendo vs. Sony war to ensue would be insane.

how has the xbox brand not made any money? thats the real question.

The market didn't crash for Gears the last game was a prequel that is why it didn't sell well.  As for Forza 5 its doing pretty well its the thrid highest selling X1 title I'm pretty sure no one expected it to sell more the COD: Ghosts or Battlefield 4.  Also if you really want to see a game that crashed look at the numbers for Wii Fit U.

DJEVOLVE said:
Normchacho said:

What mistakes did you notice? You seem to disagree with the article but have yet to explain why?

Xbox 360 made money, a lot of money.

360 did make a lot of money, but it also lost a lot of money in its early years. OG XBOX lost a ton of money.

XBONE isn't doing good right now. Titanfall and Halo can/will help, but at the moment it's similar to the OG XBOX or the 360 early in its life. I highly doubt they're making money off the system right now. Console launches themselves are super expensive and the as of late low sales aren't helping. Investors could be more worried about the losses today than the potential returns five years from now.

I think the XBOX vision of being a home entertainment hub is the main reason why Microsoft won't give up the division. If it was just about money they would have ditched the brand a long time ago.