By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes: Microsoft Should Give XBox One To Nintendo

Chris Hu said:
Normchacho said:
Chris Hu said:
One of the dumbest articles I have ever read.

care to explain why?

It just is, the guy that wrote it went full retard.

That's no more of an explaination than your first post...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Fusioncode said:
DJEVOLVE said:
Fusioncode said:
I love how the title is worded, like Microsoft should just give Xbox to Nintendo as a Christmas present.

Here you guys have this multi-billion dollar investment. We just, Mmmmmmm don't want it anymore. This article is total sh-t. Sales in the first 3 months mean that every, if not most business should give up and give it away. not only that but they are both profiting.

Agreed. Last I checked Xbox was worth like 23 billion.  Even if MS wanted to unload Xbox, Nintendo couldn't afford it. 

Just curious where you got that 23 billion dollar number as MS purchased Skype + Nokia for far less than that combined. 

http://brandirectory.com/profile/xbox

Currently has an enterprise value of 22 billion. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I think in actuality if something like this were to happen it would be more like MS "staking" Nintendo in the console business. Saves them the effort/resources/headaches of having the be in the console space all the time but could assure them of having a "friendly ally" in the console space to further their own self interests.

The main threat and the main reason for XBox's existence (that is MS' fear of a Sony OS future) has never and will never come to pass. But MS never entered the gaming business because they cared two craps about the peanut sized profits that come from the gaming industry, so if Sony is really of no threat to them in the broader scheme ... why keep sinking billions into a division that looks like its back to chasing Sony from a distant no.2 spot again.

Soundwave said:
bucky1965 said:
Will never happen. Ninty is its own company. They will never merge with anyone.

Five years ago, I'd agree, but the current Nintendo faced with the humbling sting of three consecutive operating losses in a row, a Wii U flop, and the alarming erosion of the handheld market I think would be more open to a partnership like this than some might think IMO. 

The main caveats here would have to be how much control Nintendo has and would MS be a threat of buying out Nintendo at some point later down the road (though this may be a non-issue now that Nintendo has repurchased most of Yamauchi's shares). 

If nothing else, simply getting MS out of the console business makes Nintendo the defacto "other guy" in the business and would increase their stature in the industry by default. Third parties would support them just because they don't want to make games just for one platform only, more consumers might give them a chance as the spotlight is no longer split three ways, etc. etc. 

Ninty is losing money now, but are not in dire financial straits. They are even buying back 20% of their stock. Same reasons you will never see Mario on a smartphone.They don't need to. Yes they would make more money but youre at the mercy of others. And thats not in their culture, good or bad.They would rather branch off into other non gaming things.

bucky1965 said:
Soundwave said:
bucky1965 said:
Will never happen. Ninty is its own company. They will never merge with anyone.

Five years ago, I'd agree, but the current Nintendo faced with the humbling sting of three consecutive operating losses in a row, a Wii U flop, and the alarming erosion of the handheld market I think would be more open to a partnership like this than some might think IMO. 

The main caveats here would have to be how much control Nintendo has and would MS be a threat of buying out Nintendo at some point later down the road (though this may be a non-issue now that Nintendo has repurchased most of Yamauchi's shares). 

If nothing else, simply getting MS out of the console business makes Nintendo the defacto "other guy" in the business and would increase their stature in the industry by default. Third parties would support them just because they don't want to make games just for one platform only, more consumers might give them a chance as the spotlight is no longer split three ways, etc. etc. 

Ninty is losing money now, but are not in dire financial straits. They are even buying back 20% of their stock. Same reasons you will never see Mario on a smartphone.They don't need to. Yes they would make more money but youre at the mercy of others. And thats not in their culture, good or bad.They would rather branch off into other non gaming things.

I don't think Nintendo would accept any deal where they don't have control over the console, but if MS said "hey we're tired of making consoles, how about instead of pointlessly fighting, we help you out?", I think in that scenario Nintendo might bite. 

Around the Network

I believe the actual time line of MS' entrance into the game business went like this:

MS offered Sony a chance to put Windows on the Playstation. Sony refused.

MS then offered Nintendo the same deal. Nintendo said no.

MS then offered to buy Nintendo for $25 billion. Nintendo considered this but eventually declined.

It was only after that that that that the XBox project got a full greenlight to go.

So who knows, if Nintendo back then had said yes to Windows on the GameCube or a Windows kernel, much like the Dreamcast had, the XBox probably wouldn't even exist.

The funny thing is Bill Gates after all that was not happy with the XBox console because it didn't actually run Windows either, lol. 

Fusioncode said:
Soundwave said:
Fusioncode said:
DJEVOLVE said:
Fusioncode said:
I love how the title is worded, like Microsoft should just give Xbox to Nintendo as a Christmas present.

Here you guys have this multi-billion dollar investment. We just, Mmmmmmm don't want it anymore. This article is total sh-t. Sales in the first 3 months mean that every, if not most business should give up and give it away. not only that but they are both profiting.

Agreed. Last I checked Xbox was worth like 23 billion.  Even if MS wanted to unload Xbox, Nintendo couldn't afford it. 

Just curious where you got that 23 billion dollar number as MS purchased Skype + Nokia for far less than that combined. 

http://brandirectory.com/profile/xbox

Currently has an enterprise value of 22 billion. 

Wouldnt' "Brand Value" be more representive of how much Xbox is actually worth?

Edit: Enterprise value is the total value of all of the brands assests, which doesn't mean if it were to be sold it would be worth that much.

Edit 2: Using Enterprise value, Xbox is worth nearly as much as Porsche.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

The guy who wrote this for Forbes has a terrible idea about Nintendo buying Xbox but the reasoning behind it is pretty accurate.

-There is no money in console sales. That's the reality. PS4 could sell 100 million consoles but if Sony's 1st party software sells like garbage like it did on PS3, it will end up costing Sony money. Nintendo on the other hand was able to pull a profit on the Gamecube because of high 1st party sales. Same goes for Wii U. They could end up selling only 30 million consoles but if Mario Kart and Smash Bros sell 10 million each (1.2 billion dollars), along with some other strong 4+ million sellers like DK, Animal Crossing, and Zelda, they will do just fine. That being said Microsoft has a few options.

1. Keep trying to push consoles (highly doubt this will happen.)
2. Become a 3rd party developer (Profit margin on AAA titles is getting very small. Square needed 4 million Tomb Raider sales just to break even for example.)
3. Sell the Xbox brand (I doubt anyone would take the risk, maybe Amazon.)
4. Sell their individual IP's. (This could happen as well. I could see Nintendo buying Rare back just to get Banjo Kazooie, Original game rights, and Conker.)

Normchacho said:
Chris Hu said:
Normchacho said:
Chris Hu said:

care to explain why?

Well he went full retard and you can't win going full retard.  Anyway the article is full of fail.  On top of that Nintendo got their own problem its called the Wii U its in worse shape then the X1 and the XBox division.

Chris Hu said:
Normchacho said:
Chris Hu said:
Normchacho said:
Chris Hu said:

care to explain why?

Well he went full retard and you can't win going full retard.  Anyway the article is full of fail.  On top of that Nintendo got their own problem its called the Wii U its in worse shape then the X1 and the XBox division.

The article is saying that it would be benificial to both Nintendo and Microsoft if they gave the Xbox brand to Nintendo. Although I don't totally agree with that being the best course of action the information is all sound.

Bet with Adamblaziken: