By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes: Microsoft Should Give XBox One To Nintendo

BlkPaladin said:
JoeTheBro said:
Why would Nintendo want them?

It depends on what they would get in deal, if it just the hardware division it would be bad for Nintendo, buelopers it could be what Nintendo needs to fill out their liberary. (And in a wierd twist of fate they would get whats let of Rare back.)

Nintendo certainly could gain from picking up and hiring the talent in the XBOX division, but that's pretty much it. Maybe they could also find a use for some of the IPs if they wanted to re-capture the hardcore gamer.

The brand and xbox hardware wouldn't offer Nintendo anything valuable. They already have that covered.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
One of the dumbest articles I have ever read.

I have to agree. XBox 360 has been profitable and forbes is bad at fact checking.

kitler53 said:
KungKras said:
Finally an analyst who doesn't seem to work towards a Sony/Microsoft only world.

lol, that's what you take out of this article.  xD

What I got out of this, is that Forbes doesn't fact check really anything anymore and really shouldn't be taken seriously. So a hopless read of Anecdotal evidence and guess work, like what we have here.

Mario, Halo, Zelda, Forza, Mario Kart, Killer Instinct, Banjo-Kazooie, Kirby, Perfect Dark, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Gears of War, Donkey Kong, etc. all on one platform + all Western third party content on board ... would be a formidable combination, lets not kid ourselves. Just internally ... Nintendo would be able to cover almost all major genres themselves. 

Rare could be repositioned to take over some Nintendo IP that Nintendo no longer wants to work on like say ... Wave Race (the waves in Kinect Sports jet skiing sure are purdy ...) too. If Nintendo could "rehab" Rare into a solid studio (they took an average developer in Next Level Games and turned them into a nice studio) this would be hands down the most powerful 1st/2nd party combination in the business by quite a gap IMO. 

nuckles87 said:
superryo said:
So MS sold so much better than the original X360 and it's a failure? Where did the loss of billions a year come from? I thought they are selling the One at a profit? Seems like a lot of "journalists" are using the PIDOOMA (pulled it directly out of my ass) theory. As for not being the most powerful and not selling as much as the competitors mean you should close shop then Apple should close as well since doesn't Android (mostly Samsung) owns 80% of the market and in some cases have much more powerful devices? How come none of the "journalists" are calling Apple to close shop and selling to Google?

It's not "pulled out of his ass". The Xbox division has been a money loser for most of it's existence, and when the division did make profits those profits were slim. And apparently, those profits were not coming from the Xbox part of that division, but rather then Android part of it:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.833461-Microsoft-Loses-2-Billion-Per-Year-On-Xbox-Analyst-Says

Seriously dude, that link was in the OP. Looking at this, I don't really see WHY MS would continue investing in this business. They've lost billions of dollars on the Xbox and have yet to win a generation's market share. Xbox One looks to be losing a lot of the ground 360 gained, and within this console generation most of the One's TV and multimedia features will be found in your typical Smart TV. This thing will be obsolete for everything but gaming before this generation is out.

If MS wants to be the center of the living room, they'd be better off investing in Smart TV software, because I don't see how the One will gain them anything.

There is more to it than that.

The Xbox as a device may loose money.
However, things like Skype, First Party Games, Bing and all those other services brings in money, some of which are not reported in the same department.
It also creates brand awareness for Microsoft.
Plus, there is a strong push for the Cloud at the moment, developers/publishers will be buying chunks of Azure, paying Microsoft large sums of cash in the process, regardless if it's for Xbox, PC, WiiU, Playstation 4, Tablets or Phones.

It's less black and white than what people would assume when it comes to making money, everything has a flow-on effect in Microsoft's empire.
Sony was in a different situation, it didn't generate extra side-revenue from televisions or PC's that wen't into other departments.

Getting rid of the Xbox would be bad, not only financially (potentially) but from a competition point of view. (Less innovation, higher prices.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
kitler53 said:

Will game console sales decline like PC sales?

On top of profit worries is the threat that console market growth may stagnate as gamers migrate toward games on mobile devices.  How this will affect sales is unknown.  But given what happened to PC   sales it’s not hard to imagine the market for consoles to become smaller each year, dominated by dedicated game players, while the majority of casual game players move to their convenient always-on device.

Due to its limited product range, Nintendo is in a “fight to the death” to win in gaming. Sony is now selling its PC business, and lacks strong offerings in most consumer products markets (like TVs) while facing extremely tough competition from Samsung and LG.  Sony, likewise, cannot afford to abandon the Playstation business, and will be forced to engage in this profit killing battle to attract developers and end-use customers.

The PC as a whole is indeed in decline, but only for content consumption. (Movies and casual games.)
Content creation is an entirely different situation. (You wouldn't be going through a million lines of code on a tablet for instance then compiling.)

And PC gaming is actually on the increase, Steam is gaining active users at a rate of 15% a year and doesn't look like it's slowing any time soon.
It's Sony's own fault for not targeting certain demographics in the PC space that led to it's failure, there are still 300+ million machines sold a year which they could have partaken in.

Gaming as a whole is on the decline and PC gaming on an increase won't save anything ...

That may be the biggest pile of crap I have seen in the shape of an article, ever. The division, where the XBox houses, continually generate big profits and MS as a whole just came from a record-breaking quarter. I agree that X1 sales right now are crap, but as a whole it has strong sales compared to 360. I agree though, that selling to Nintendo would make for a strong, if not the strongest, gaming company ever.

Spot on. Mark my words unless there is a seismic change in the console landscape to turn things around for them the Xbox One will be the last Xbox released under MS.

I don't think we'll see consoles just go away anytime soon. I think there are enough people devoted to games to create reasonable demand and I think the console makers have done a good enough job of making them valuable beyond simply playing games. But I still don't think the market is large enough to support three major consoles.

In my opinion the perfect scenario for the console market would be MS dumping the Xbox division onto one of the existing console makers or dissolving the hardware portion and just making games for the other consoles. If they just sell it off to another company like Amazon or Apple we just end up in the same situation of a market that is competing itself into the ground.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Eh... If Nintendo wanted to make an XBox One powered console they could have. There is some benefit to the XBox branding, but it would be difficult for Nintendo to appeal to both fanbases without losing one. Probably not a good idea. It's a pipe dream, but it would be awesome if Sega acquired the XBox division.

Normchacho said:
Spot on. Mark my words unless there is a seismic change in the console landscape to turn things around for them the Xbox One will be the last Xbox released under MS.

I don't think we'll see consoles just go away anytime soon. I think there are enough people devoted to games to create reasonable demand and I think the console makers have done a good enough job of making them valuable beyond simply playing games. But I still don't think the market is large enough to support three major consoles.

In my opinion the perfect scenario for the console market would be MS dumping the Xbox division onto one of the existing console makers or dissolving the hardware portion and just making games for the other consoles. If they just sell it off to another company like Amazon or Apple we just end up in the same situation of a market that is competing itself into the ground.

Well I don't think they have "dump" the business, think of it more like "entrusting" Nintendo and having a favorable relationship with Nintendo so that some of Microsoft's ancillary needs (like say wanting Skype on a home console, wanting certain Windows OS features, etc.) are met. 

Microsoft Game Studios would still be around, they could still make the Halo games, they'd just be supporting Nintendo instead.