By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes: Microsoft Should Give XBox One To Nintendo

Nintendo should give Wii u to Microsoft

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

No thanks, Nintendo probably doesn't want Xbox as part of Nintendo and Neither do Nintendo fans

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

A surprising claim to make. I guess it could work, but it'd have to be done carefully to keep the brands separate and distinct. Think of it this way. Did you know that Keeblers cookies and Pringles chips are both owned by Kellogg's? Yes, the cereal company. They're making Kellogg's more money than cereal is, in fact. I know this because I worked there and heard it straight from higher ups. No one really identifies Pringles or Keebler with Kellogg's, they just happen to own it. The companies mostly run themselves, with some direction from Kellogg's, but still offering the same brand image they did before they were bought out. If Nintendo did something similar, where they let Xbox be Xbox, kept the Nintendo name off of it, and made none of the gaming decisions, just some business decisions, then maybe it could work. Nintendo wouldn't have to balance it's family friendly image with appealing to the hardcore, and could instead focus the Nintendo brand on family friendly stuff and the Xbox brand on the more hardcore audience the Xbox has built up. Heck, I bet they could even get Xbox to be successful in Japan. It wouldn't be total ownership, of course, it would likely be more a partnership between Microsoft and Nintendo, with Microsoft handling the marketing, which they do much better, and seeing a good chunk of the profits. I could see it work, but chances of it are astronomically bad, and it just seems weird to see a fairly reputable site like Forbes say something like this. They are a site about business more than games, though, and from a business perspective, it makes sense. From a gamer perspective, it's a weird suggestion.

So much misinformation in that article it makes my eyes bleed.

Misinformation that makes PS look like it was responsible for those 4 years of Sony losses, which is not true.

Xb losing $2 billion per year turns out to be speculation not established fact.

PS4 selling for $100 less than Xb one being a margin squeeze on PS4. PS4 costs almost 20% less to get to market, so the margin squeeze isn't remotely close to being that $100 difference. Sony would profit from a $419 PS4. I don't know why Sony didn't go for $419 but the unit loss is not a big deal. And we know that PS4 over all lead to a substantial increase in operating profit in the game division in the Dec 2013 quarter. So PS4 is a profit star for Sony at least in the short term.

Heh, developers need the platforms as much as the platforms need developers, and if PS4 is king of the hill they won't need to pay developers a bean to get games on PS4.

Not at all impressed by Forbes here.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I don´t want Microsoft anywhere near Nintendo.

The XBox brand has been damaged over the last year...and their firstparty studios aren´t great either (ot not worth the investment).

Nintendo would be better of with a japanese company.....or get intimate with Sony.

Around the Network

The guy that wrote the article should watch Tropic Thunder for some sound advice.

will be sweet North americans love Mario Zelda and others Nintendo games+ Halo , Gears and Xbox live

kitler53 said:

Will game console sales decline like PC sales?

On top of profit worries is the threat that console market growth may stagnate as gamers migrate toward games on mobile devices.  How this will affect sales is unknown.  But given what happened to PC   sales it’s not hard to imagine the market for consoles to become smaller each year, dominated by dedicated game players, while the majority of casual game players move to their convenient always-on device.

Due to its limited product range, Nintendo is in a “fight to the death” to win in gaming. Sony is now selling its PC business, and lacks strong offerings in most consumer products markets (like TVs) while facing extremely tough competition from Samsung and LG.  Sony, likewise, cannot afford to abandon the Playstation business, and will be forced to engage in this profit killing battle to attract developers and end-use customers.

The PC as a whole is indeed in decline, but only for content consumption. (Movies and casual games.)
Content creation is an entirely different situation. (You wouldn't be going through a million lines of code on a tablet for instance then compiling.)

And PC gaming is actually on the increase, Steam is gaining active users at a rate of 15% a year and doesn't look like it's slowing any time soon.
It's Sony's own fault for not targeting certain demographics in the PC space that led to it's failure, there are still 300+ million machines sold a year which they could have partaken in.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

If the game business went back to just a 2 horse race between Nintendo and Sony, Nintendo wins huge in that. They'd be guaranteed a 50 million userbase at least IMO even if Sony "wins" ... and wouldn't have to rely on risky/fickle audiences like casuals that turn abandon them on a whim.

The real problem here as I see it is how much control would Microsoft have? And what exactly would stop Microsoft from buying out Nintendo at a later date if Nintendo did a little too well?

That's what I think Nintendo would be afraid of. 

superryo said:
So MS sold so much better than the original X360 and it's a failure? Where did the loss of billions a year come from? I thought they are selling the One at a profit? Seems like a lot of "journalists" are using the PIDOOMA (pulled it directly out of my ass) theory. As for not being the most powerful and not selling as much as the competitors mean you should close shop then Apple should close as well since doesn't Android (mostly Samsung) owns 80% of the market and in some cases have much more powerful devices? How come none of the "journalists" are calling Apple to close shop and selling to Google?

It's not "pulled out of his ass". The division that the Xbox is in has been a money loser for most of it's existence, and when the division did make profits those profits were typically slim slim. And apparently, those profits were not coming from the Xbox part of that division, but rather then Android part of it:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.833461-Microsoft-Loses-2-Billion-Per-Year-On-Xbox-Analyst-Says

Seriously dude, that link was in the OP. Looking at this, I don't really see WHY MS would continue investing in this business. They've lost billions of dollars on the Xbox and have yet to win a generation's market share. Xbox One looks to be losing a lot of the ground 360 gained, and within this console generation most of the One's TV and multimedia features will be found in your typical Smart TV. This thing will be obsolete for everything but gaming before this generation is out.

If MS wants to be the center of the living room, they'd be better off investing in Smart TV software, because I don't see how the One will gain them anything.