By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Irrational Games are "winding down"; all but 15 staff laid off [edit: Gamasutra - Bioshock Infinite didn't sell enough]

Tagged games:

Not sure anyone why anyone is surprised by this. They've made like only 2 games in the past 8 years.

Around the Network
orniletter said:
Justagamer said:
Fusioncode said:
I guess Bioshock Infinite flopped, 5 years in development for barely 3m in sales. Infinite was fantastic, screw people for not buying it.

I love the bio shock series, unfortunately I never got a chance to get infinite. There's just not enough time for all the great games that came out this gen.... Sometimes, sacrifices must be made.... Maybe I'll pick it up.... Now I feel kind of bad for not getting it, I like to support the companies that produce the good games, especially if they are closing shop for this game not selling enough.... If i do get it, which version was best? PS3 or 360, I have both. Hopefully the series can live on.....

It wasn´t very good. Very, very pretty, story was decent.....but the gameplay was utter shit.

Lowest common denominator level of just another AAA linear setpiece shooter

Comments like the above make me very upset. It's the same when people defend Resident Evil 6. I sincerely question your judgment. As a shooter, it's not particularly novel but that's not the point. The total immersion and overall satisfaction of finishing the game is what makes this one of the best ever made. 

Also, flying on those rails was a really awesome experience. 

More drama:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211139/Irrational_Games_journalism_and_airing_dirty_laundry.php

No one talks to the games press officially. I wish they did, but I get it. They want to keep their jobs. Let's just say multiple people within a studio were willing to risk their careers to confirm to me that yes, in fact, if their game didn't sell extremely well, like exponentially more than its predecessor or "well" according to a matrix of time and cost investment and desired profit, that their studio would be closed in a year.

Plus lots more in the article itself.

Kresnik said:

More drama:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211139/Irrational_Games_journalism_and_airing_dirty_laundry.php

No one talks to the games press officially. I wish they did, but I get it. They want to keep their jobs. Let's just say multiple people within a studio were willing to risk their careers to confirm to me that yes, in fact, if their game didn't sell extremely well, like exponentially more than its predecessor or "well" according to a matrix of time and cost investment and desired profit, that their studio would be closed in a year.

Plus lots more in the article itself.

Woah, I guess Soleron was right on the spot that bioshock infinite didn't sell well enough to break even or profit.

Closing because Bioshock Infinite tanked isnt all that surprising, looking at the sales of it and how long it took to develop.

6 Years between Bioshock and Infinite, yet as things currently stand (going by VGC) the original Bioshock on the 360 alone has outsold Infinite on 360, PS3 and PC combined.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Closing because Bioshock Infinite tanked isnt all that surprising, looking at the sales of it and how long it took to develop.

6 Years between Bioshock and Infinite, yet as things currently stand (going by VGC) the original Bioshock on the 360 alone has outsold Infinite on 360, PS3 and PC combined.

Well shame on people who didn't buy it or people who picked it up used for 10 bucks or whatever. This game deserved to make a huge profit because I want to see more games like this.

I'm super late to the party on this one, but this is really surprising and depressing. The original BioShock is, in my mind, one of the best games of the last ten years. I'm afraid I haven't played Infinite yet -- it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap -- but I'm sure it's excellent also.

It's just weird to me that such a brilliant studio (with what I thought was a solid commercial success rate) could be closed like this. If $3 million copies isn't enough to turn a profit, what is?

I guess anything that makes it to PS plus really needs to make more money, I was honestly surprised when this game came to it so soon.

It is in the same manner as sleeping dogs, just cause 2, spec ops the line etc.

DJEVOLVE said:
whatever said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Nope all Gamestop profits are also fake. My god this site.

Gamestop profits because they provide a service that customers want.  Not that I'd expect you to understand...

LOL, yea keep it going, You sound like you are smart. LOl

Well, at least one of us does.

Replaying infinite now on PS plus, it's my third time all things considered. Still hasn't lost its charm. There is some palpable story-telling magic infused in this game.

One of the best games of all time, should easily make any top 100 list.