By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Irrational Games are "winding down"; all but 15 staff laid off [edit: Gamasutra - Bioshock Infinite didn't sell enough]

Tagged games:

reggin_bolas said:
I heard Bioshock Vita bankrupted the dev, is that true?

Yeah. It just didn't sell enough to recoup the dev costs.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
reggin_bolas said:

Serious answers please! I heard the development cycle may have been responsible for this. 

I thinks it's sad for all the developers that are getting laid off, and seemingly given zero credit for all the games "he" made. Couldn't he have simply left and started his own small team, and left his team, or his "coat tail riders" with a new leader? Seems terribly self centered and ego driven....

I for one have deep respect for the man. He made two of the best story-driven games of all time. And yes, way better than The Last of Us. Way better.

reggin_bolas said:
JoeTheBro said:
reggin_bolas said:

Serious answers please! I heard the development cycle may have been responsible for this. 

Bioshock Vita never went beyond pre-production. They haven't been slaving away at it for the past few years, they've just been mostly ignoring it.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

Apparently a tweet from one of Bioshock's designers:

Drama!

If this is indeed legitimate, perhaps it was Levine's influence that closed the studio after all.

I am still convinced that it was shut down for financial reasons, but this is interesting.

JoeTheBro said:
RenCutypoison said:
JoeTheBro said:
So he's basically going indie. Wow.

*AA, not indie.

OT : I hope their next game won't have a B movie storyline. I believe in the potential of smaller studios, but I don't want to see another bioshock infinite.

He's not told by 2K what games to make, so it's indie in spirit.

AA always had indie spirit. With smaller budget they can do the games they love, not the games the most people will want.

Look at VanillaWare and NIS, they always had indie spirit.

Xen said:
Kresnik said:

Drama!

Indeed.

Phil Fish disappeared, there's noone to insult AAA devs now =/

Chandler said:

"Hey guys, Bioshock Infinite and the DLC is done, I guess we have to make this promised Vita game now..."

"Fuck, how do we get out of this?"

"How about we disband?"

"Good idea."

They didn't disband. They went indie.

So they get out of developing a game for the Vita by going Indie? Great logic.

RenCutypoison said:
Xen said:
Kresnik said:

Drama!

Indeed.

Phil Fish disappeared, there's noone to insult AAA devs now =/

Not sure who I like less now, Levine or Phil Fish

@brendude: with the original being 15 people now, and the majority making indie games, they might as well have disbanded.