By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Irrational Games are "winding down"; all but 15 staff laid off [edit: Gamasutra - Bioshock Infinite didn't sell enough]

Tagged games:

reggin_bolas said:
I for one have deep respect for the man. He made two of the best story-driven games of all time. And yes, way better than The Last of Us. Way better.

Yes, both System Shock 2 and Bioshock 1 are fantastic games (not sure if best story-driven of all time though). As for TLoU...honestly, it's not that hard to top that.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
So he's basically going indie. Wow.

No, he'll still be working for 2K.

Bioshock Infinite sold more than 4M copies. I doubt it's for financial reasons.

reggin_bolas said:
I heard Bioshock Vita bankrupted the dev, is that true?

Bioshock Infinet did cost them a lot of money and probably hasn´t made them any money.

They haven´t even started development of the supposed game, it was nothing more than a name that Sony loved to spout from the rooftops.

Like Devil May Cry PSP, Resident Evil PSP...and the Elder Scrolls PSP

Lawlight said:
Bioshock Infinite sold more than 4M copies. I doubt it's for financial reasons.

A 6 year development cycle with a gigantic 150+ people dev team.

It absolutely was a financial decision, Irrational was owned by Take-Two, and if they had been pleased with Infinite´s performance, they wouldn´t have axed it.

Around the Network
whatever said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Nope all Gamestop profits are also fake. My god this site.

Gamestop profits because they provide a service that customers want.  Not that I'd expect you to understand...

LOL, yea keep it going, You sound like you are smart. LOl

Fusioncode said:
I guess Bioshock Infinite flopped, 5 years in development for barely 3m in sales. Infinite was fantastic, screw people for not buying it.

I love the bio shock series, unfortunately I never got a chance to get infinite. There's just not enough time for all the great games that came out this gen.... Sometimes, sacrifices must be made.... Maybe I'll pick it up.... Now I feel kind of bad for not getting it, I like to support the companies that produce the good games, especially if they are closing shop for this game not selling enough.... If i do get it, which version was best? PS3 or 360, I have both. Hopefully the series can live on.....

reggin_bolas said:
I for one have deep respect for the man. He made two of the best story-driven games of all time. And yes, way better than The Last of Us. Way better.

The last of us had the greatest story telling if any VIDEOGAME I've ever experienced. Hands down. (For me at least)... It's honestly better than any story told by Hollywood in the last five years(again, for me). Bio shock had awesome ambiance, and a wonderfully fleshed out world, but to me, the last of us is the pinnacle of storytelling in video games to date. I loved it way too much... Hell it had me crying in the beginning when his daughter gets ... Well those who've played it know. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong at all, I'm just sharing my opinion. I enjoy both games.

Justagamer said:
Fusioncode said:
I guess Bioshock Infinite flopped, 5 years in development for barely 3m in sales. Infinite was fantastic, screw people for not buying it.

I love the bio shock series, unfortunately I never got a chance to get infinite. There's just not enough time for all the great games that came out this gen.... Sometimes, sacrifices must be made.... Maybe I'll pick it up.... Now I feel kind of bad for not getting it, I like to support the companies that produce the good games, especially if they are closing shop for this game not selling enough.... If i do get it, which version was best? PS3 or 360, I have both. Hopefully the series can live on.....

It wasn´t very good. Very, very pretty, story was decent.....but the gameplay was utter shit.

Lowest common denominator level of just another AAA linear setpiece shooter

orniletter said:
Justagamer said:
Fusioncode said:

It wasn´t very good. Very, very pretty, story was decent.....but the gameplay was utter shit.

Lowest common denominator level of just another AAA linear setpiece shooter

I've heard this both ways, some love it, some say meh, it makes it tough to buy a game like that when it is mixed like that! Lol,oh well, they're done anyway, so I'll buy it used for $10, so if it is like you say, I'll still have only spent $10! Lol