By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Irrational Games are "winding down"; all but 15 staff laid off [edit: Gamasutra - Bioshock Infinite didn't sell enough]

Tagged games:

$500m for like $100m-$300m to make meh not to bad.

Around the Network

Man the Freedom Force games were fun.

Manbot and all.

Saw it coming. Not this dev exactly, but those huge games on consoles like the PS4 just aren't very profitable and they aren't fun to develop for. You need MASSIVE teams of developers, and things suddenly turn into a mess. If the profits are getting thinner and thinner, why wouldn't they go indie. Indie is making a good chunk of money off of steam and so forth.

I think we are gonna see a lot more of this. Whoever said developers liked working on cutting edge graphics is an idiot. Developers lose creative freedom in those huge teams, and its just not fun.

orniletter said:
Lawlight said:
Bioshock Infinite sold more than 4M copies. I doubt it's for financial reasons.

A 6 year development cycle with a gigantic 150+ people dev team.

It absolutely was a financial decision, Irrational was owned by Take-Two, and if they had been pleased with Infinite´s performance, they wouldn´t have axed it.

Ok, I thought they made Bioshock 2. In that case, management is blame for this. 6 years to make an FPS is ludicrous.

Thanks Obama.

Around the Network

I understand the decision, whilst Bioshock Infinite was commercially and critically well received, its sunk cost and 6 years of development must have hurt 2k a lot financially.

That being said, I am extremely sadden by this and wish both Ken and everyone at Irrational the best of luck going forward. They brought me to Rupture and lifted me to Columbia, there I saw wonders.

I'm disappointed at this, they were doing so well

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Kasz216 said:

Manbot and all.

FOR FREEEDOOOOOM!

Now you made me more sad. Didn't know Irrational was behind this gem :(

Wright said:
Kasz216 said:

Manbot and all.

FOR FREEEDOOOOOM!

He mentioned Manbot is his letter!

Also, you know there were two freedom force games right?  Freedom Force and Freedom Force VS the Third Reich.

The second one is great.  The only downside is that the majority of the modders didn't make it over, so you need to go through some weird converting process to bring over all the cool superhero conversions.

Kasz216 said:
Wright said:

FOR FREEEDOOOOOM!

He mentioned Manbot is his letter!

Also, you know there were two freedom force games right?  Freedom Force and Freedom Force VS the Third Reich.

The second one is great.  The only downside is that the majority of the modders didn't make it over, so you need to go through some weird converting process to bring over all the cool superhero conversions.

No, never played it. I did beat the first Freedom Force when...I was eight or nine. I do remember the game fondly, though. Remember getting stuck against Nuclear Winter or whatever he was called, and there was this stage where he put a Nuclear Bomb in the heart of the city. I remember trying everything, burning it with El Diablo, using mental powers or hitting it with Manbot, but nothing ever worked. Sadly, I didn't use Minute Man a lot (and I was a kid, so I didn't understand why it was so imperative to keep him alive in that mission :P), but yeah, it is one of my favourite games ever!