By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Sales Surpass 5.3 Million Units Worldwide as of February 8

GribbleGrunger said:

What makes you think that? VGC has it at 5.2 million and it's a week old. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just wondering what leads you to believe that.

Both Sony and VGC numbers are as of the same date.  Though 200k undertracked is unlikely.  They said more than 5.3m, so it is probably less than 5.35m (though all the numbers they've released so far have been rounded down rather than up).  VGC has it at 5.187m.  So we are looking at 113k - ~160k undertracked.

Around the Network
sully1311 said:
Munkeh111 said:
Does it genuinely say sold through as all I've seen is the word sold. As we all know that means very little

But also given how difficult it is to find PS4s, I can believe that there are only 1-200k on shelves

Yep its sold to customers:

*1 Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in North America and Latin America collected11/15/2013 – 2/8/2014.  Europe and Asia collected 11/29/13 – 2/8/2014.

Thanks for the clarification

g911turbo said:
lucidium said:
Saltyness is coming, and coming fast, i can feel it.

Japanese launch will be a massacre.

Not saltyness.  PS4 is doing great, but the others are not doing too well right now.

Not good for the industry (and consumers) in general if 2 of 3 fail!

how not? PS2 gen was best for consumer and industry.  The more ps4 crushes them the better.

Developers release on one console that is vast majority of the market, and consumers buy the console that has the vast majority of the games.

Puppyroach said:
Really good tracking by VGC. Am I the only one thinking X1 sales are crappy as hell and that PS4 sales don´t feel to impressive?

No

Yes

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

What makes you think that? VGC has it at 5.2 million and it's a week old. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just wondering what leads you to believe that.

GribbleGrunger said:  

VGC 5.187.177 as of Feb 8

Sony over 5.3m as of Feb 8

At least 120k undertracked but pretty good tracking this time... they are only being off with Xbone because it is not selling what was shipped.

Around the Network

Wow, good job vgchartz!

GAFers are saying 65% of Japan launch shipment was stocked in January.
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20140217/334540/?rt=nocnt

So I believe Sony is producing 1.4m per month or even more... crazy for January.

Great job Sony Now on to 10million!

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

ethomaz said:
GAFers are saying 65% of Japan launch shipment was stocked in January.
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20140217/334540/?rt=nocnt

So I believe Sony is producing 1.4m per month or even more... crazy for January.

Well that agrees with what I was thinking as well. And I agree, they could be producing 1.4m a month.

Baseline, PS4 is looking at... 20m by end of this year? If they can get further production capacity on-line that would help, but I doubt that can happen in time to make significantly bigger numbers for this year, even if they manage to kick in by Oct/Nov/Dec. Sony has tariff issues in Brazil, I wonder if they would seek to make that a major assembly point, also exporting to other markets?