By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Sales Surpass 5.3 Million Units Worldwide as of February 8

Well either way well deserved by Sony.

Around the Network

VGC, good enough for government work!

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
JoeTheBro said:
007BondAgent said:
vgchartz spot on.

We are actually undertracked. The site has it at 5.187 million and Sony says sold through. Still we are pretty close. I'm just being anal.

Within 3% is extremely awesome.

Well Sony announced 4.2 million sold through back in Dec. so really it's only the month of January that VGCHARTZ was predicting. That's around 10% off. Still super great but not spot on. Again though I'm just being anal.

Good VGC tracking, props!

How much did Sony initially project for the fiscal year? Like 5,5 for March 31st?

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

JoeTheBro said:
ICStats said:
JoeTheBro said:
007BondAgent said:
vgchartz spot on.

We are actually undertracked. The site has it at 5.187 million and Sony says sold through. Still we are pretty close. I'm just being anal.

Well Sony announced 4.2 million sold through back in Dec. so really it's only the month of January that VGCHARTZ was predicting. That's around 10% off. Still super great but not spot on. Again though I'm just being anal.

They should set it to 5.3 now that Sony made it clear they mean sold-through.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
ICStats said:
JoeTheBro said:
ICStats said:
JoeTheBro said:
007BondAgent said:
vgchartz spot on.

In all likelihood its already 5.4m or higher by now.

With VGC tracking 100k XB1 above NPD, PS4 is now over 2 million ahead of XB1.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
JoeTheBro said:
ICStats said:

They have the PS4 tracked to 4.136 million as of Dec the 28th, so I doubt they'll match this number exactly either.

UNDERTRACKED!!!!

But seriously, amazing job VGC being accurate to almost 98%.

vivster said:
lucidium said:
vivster said:
Lame. Why not wait and announce a nice round number after the Japan launch?

Because two positive news releases are better than one?

By that logic they should release one every week. With a finger pointing gif and an X1 logo next to it.

Sony wanted to announce 5 Million, but it blew past that number before Sony could blink. So they had to go with a non-standard reporting number to put that 5 million number out there in the public domain BEFORE the Japan launch.

Or,

Sony might only do periodic sell through estimates, and 8 Feb was the date they chose. And they decided to report the 8 Feb number as long as it was north of 5 million.

I wonder if MS will have the balls to report 3.5 million sell through in about 2 week's time. It will take an embarrassingly long time to get to 4 million, so I think they might just ditch the whole idea of announcing sell through now that they are so far behind PS4. Even quarterly shipments is going to be a tough announcement to make. What MS might do is report HW sales on weeks with big releases. So if Xb one does 200K on TF week they might announce that.

Hmm,  has anyone done a poll to see what sort of spike people think Xb one will get on TF week?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

vivster said:
Lame. Why not wait and announce a nice round number after the Japan launch?

So people don't come later and say "Lame. Why don't they realease seperate numbers? Are they afraid of something?"

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’