By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global SW & HW UP!! - Week ending Feb 8 (ADJUSTMENTS - PS4 157k, X1 54k, WiiU 36k - PS4 64% marketshare)

DerNebel said:

Just one thing. Sony never said that 60% thing.

Well that tidbit came from here and it seems IGN sticking by it. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/10/sony-talks-ps-vita-reveals-new-statistics.

Although, I assume that percentage is quickly getting smaller.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

3ds SW sales dont look good...

Mr Puggsly said:
DerNebel said:

Just one thing. Sony never said that 60% thing.

Well that tidbit came from here and it seems IGN sticking by it. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/10/sony-talks-ps-vita-reveals-new-statistics.

Although, I assume that percentage is quickly getting smaller.

Exactly, that's the thing. Sony only said that one in three Vita owners has a PS4 and they said that sometime at the beginning of february, so I think it's safe to assume that this number also is from the beginning of february. This article then calculated the 60% by using PS4 numbers from the end of december and that's why this whole 60% thing is just milseading. I supposed the actual percentage is about 45-50% at the moment.

DerNebel said:

Exactly, that's the thing. Sony only said that one in three Vita owners has a PS4 and they said that sometime at the beginning of february, so I think it's safe to assume that this number also is from the beginning of february. This article then calculated the 60% by using PS4 numbers from the end of december and that's why this whole 60% thing is just milseading. I supposed the actual percentage is about 45-50% at the moment.

I'm merely pointing out Sony is doing a great job at appealing to its fanbase. While some people seem to think the great sales of PS4 is Sony taking Xbox users. There were a lot of PS3 users and I presume they make up a vast majority of PS4 purchasers.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:
zorg1000 said:

U never get tired of being wrong 

so, you also think ps4 will sell several hundred thousand on japan's launch?

The WiiU, Vita, and 3DS all launched with over 300k FW. If they can do it then so can the PS4. 

Ilogical. I'm looking at comgnet pre orders and the numbers aren't high.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Consoles were very popular last gen in Japan.

PS2+GC+XB=about 28 million

PS3+Wii+360=about 24 million

The huge decline in Japan is very exaggerated and there is still cleary a market for them.

I agree with this.

I think this gen is definitely capable of selling at least 20m consoles in Japan.

Wii U seem to be trending in GCN/N64 numbers so lets say 5m for that, MS seem to be focusing less on Japan this gen than with 360 but I think those 1.5m 360 owners are quite dedicated so I think XOne will get at least 750k.

That leaves 14.25m for PS4 and thats if the generation drops 4m GoG.

If the PS4 lasts 5 years thats  2.85m a year, thats almost 55k per week - granted it would be less on an average with holiday boosts.

Japan will be very relevant for PS4.

Mr Puggsly said:
DerNebel said:

I'm merely pointing out Sony is doing a great job at appealing to its fanbase. While some people seem to think the great sales of PS4 is Sony taking Xbox users. There were a lot of PS3 users and I presume they make up a vast majority of PS4 purchasers.

Though I largely agree with you (I think its less than the vast majority though), what do you think of PS3's higher sales than 360 in the latest Jan NPD? You would think if the vast majority of PS4 sales were to PS3 owners, then PS3 sales would drop more markedly than 360 sales, given that there are a lot less PS3 owners than 360 owners in the US. But instead we're seeing 360 sales collapsing faster without a large increase in XB1 sales.

czecherychestnut said:

Though I largely agree with you (I think its less than the vast majority though), what do you think of PS3's higher sales than 360 in the latest Jan NPD? You would think if the vast majority of PS4 sales were to PS3 owners, then PS3 sales would drop more markedly than 360 sales, given that there are a lot less PS3 owners than 360 owners in the US. But instead we're seeing 360 sales collapsing faster without a large increase in XB1 sales.

I think PS3 is the more appealing 7th gen console to those with no brand loyalty, casual gamers, and maybe those buying a console for the first time. Also, PS3 being the only relevent home console in Japan and developing nations helps keep PS3 numbers well above the 360.

People often forget Xbox 360 has had a tendency to do great during the holidays and sluggish outside of that compared to PS3 for several years.

Recently Completed

Zero999 said:
Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:
zorg1000 said:

The WiiU, Vita, and 3DS all launched with over 300k FW. If they can do it then so can the PS4. 

You realize that almost all Nintendo titles have low pre-orders, right? They always sell so badly. Like SM3DW did horribly. Pre-orders don't mean much for the overall sales.

I don't think any console will do very well in Japan in the 8th gen, but how is it "illogical" that the PS4 can match the Wii U in Japan first week sales? If anything, it appears to be really front-loaded, which would suggest a good launch with a rather severe drop (like the Wii U).

I hardly think you're one to talk about over-and underestimation on this site.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5468729

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5377770

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5845237

And that's the tip of the iceberg. I think we can safely disregard your analysis on the situation. You have yet to make a single objective statement on vgchartz and you have never once gotten a single prediction even halfway right.

Zero999 said:
Fusioncode said:
Zero999 said:
zorg1000 said:

I think you're overestimating the strength of the link between pre-orders for SW (which, though I do like to play with the COMG numbers, can be very, very wrong in certiain circumstances). Also, Vita actually sold more HW than it did SW for all titles combined, so one doesn't have to be the limiting factor for the other

Basically, I think you're going to be very wrong, launch week certainly won't be the problem because there are easily a few hundred thousand hardcore PS fans in Japan as an absolute minimum who will want the console as soon as possible regardless of the launch lineup - it will match WiiU, Vita, etc. as a minimum. If you want to question the PS4's ability to maintain strong sales longer term, that's a different (and more valid) question, but launch week will be good - it's in a few months that the real prospects for PS4 in Japan will begin to show, good or bad