By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What can Nintendo do?

TheLegendaryWolf said:
BeElite said:
Jumpin said:
Over dramatic Nintendo is doomed thread #314361

These sorts of threads have been going on for almost two decades now. You can safely hold back those tears young boy and realize that each generation offers new opportunities; and Nintendo's hardware staff is at work devloping the way to best exploit them.

Sometimes they fail, but typically companies do not dominate more than 1-2 generations in a row. Nintendo has about a 50% rate of winning generations.

I guess you missed the decades long fall of their console sales, wii disrupted it and now back to where they were actually they are trending under GC if im not mistaken.   They are on a long path that leads out of hardware, same way atari and sega went.  This industry is not very forgiving and new players enter and rise. 

Its almost a natural progression of leading doing well not so well and out of it, and they are nearing out of it.

They are no where near being out. They have huge cash reserves and literally zero debt, but being a business is about being profitable as much as possible. One thing they do need to  do is to attract a wider audience, the "cores"  and the "casuals,"to sell more consoles (games like SSBU and Mario Kart 8). As of now, they have mostlyattracted Nintendo gamers onto the WIi U, but games like Bayonetta 2 ot X can bring in different people to experience the exclusives the Wii U contains. 3rd Party support has allways elluded Nintendo since the SNES , so the Wii U will not be an exception to that rule.

On the console front they are very close to being out.   And next week PS4 will take their only semi decent market, and this all with out any killer software.  How do some of you see wiiu doing when PS4 X1 actually get some good software, what happens when their biggest franchises start dropping.

Heres the thing, given what they are doing and have show and what they talk about.  They will not attract the core, they refuse to make games that the core wants.  And the casuals are long gone, those fickly bastards are the last thing any one should ever depend on. 

X wont even sale a million units, i think most already know this, it will not save the U.  Its not a game changer why do you expect it to be ? Bayonetta is a franchise whos sales couldnt justify a sequal on PS3/360 so why do you think its gonna make any differance at all on the U ?? its not a best of its genre, its not a strong old franchise with a fanbase.  Its a filler.

Droping price and awseome bundles is the only thing they can do, hit half price of the next choice (4orX) and maybe some sales can be achived.
199 no pad normal controller U with Mario3d and KArt, now that would sale come the 2014 holidays, and by then those games would have been already milked at regular price long past profitable so no huge loss bundeling the fuck out of them.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:

As a whole, Nintendo is falling apart. The 3DS might not outsell the GBA, the Wii U might not outsell the GC. There's still time, but no games. MK8? Could you remind me how much did SM3DW help? And don't try to say that MK is their biggest system seller. It's they're best selling game, but it sells good because of the install base. Also, it sells good because it has Mario in it. After that, it could be over. They will keep supporting the Wii U, but only to hope it can get to GC levels. And the 3DS is another thing. It could outsell the GBA, but that depends on how SSB4 affets it's numbers. So I'll leave it alone. But I want to know two things from you!

1. How can Nintendo FIX the Wii U problem? Don't you dare to say "release next system right away" They can't just give up. That will just give them a bad name! Their best option would be to expand their dev teams, or acquire more dev teams, and I hope they do that even if they don't fail. Releasing more games? At this rate, that won't help that much. Maybe just keep it as it is and hope for the best. Or they could try to get as many exclusives as possible!
  2. What can they do for their next home console? And make a super powerful console is not enough! That might actually be worse. Why? Because it'll be a more expensive Nintendo system. Do you really believe 3rd parties will support a expensive Nintendo console? Like, really? They don't sell good on a cheaper console, and you believe a more expensive console will sell more? OK, let's say it sells like the Wii... How many of the install base will buy a 3rd party game?  That's the problem! In this market, 3rd parties rule. Your console doesn't sell good with 3rd parties, you're done. Your console doesn't get 3rd parties, your done. And this is why I'm asking, what can Nintendo do?

Cut the bullshit.

Nintendo's fine as a company, they need to micromanage less within the company but thats about it.

Relaunch it for $200 with a standard controller, the name Nintendo Ultra (NU), 64GB of storage, a Nintendo Network Overhaul, and a slew of great games. After that just advertise it a ton and I am sure it would reach 20-30 million. Otherwise it's gonna crawl past 15 million and leave them with no momentum to start the next gen off well...

Captain_Tom said:
Relaunch it for $200 with a standard controller, the name Nintendo Ultra (NU), 64GB of storage, a Nintendo Network Overhaul, and a slew of great games. After that just advertise it a ton and I am sure it would reach 20-30 million. Otherwise it's gonna crawl past 15 million and leave them with no momentum to start the next gen off well...

Sounds awesome,
They could call it a new sku and market the fuck out of it, 199 normal controller 64gb hope a really good game or two bundled.

... Just Do It!!!

BeElite said:
Captain_Tom said:

Sounds awesome,
They could call it a new sku and market the fuck out of it, 199 normal controller 64gb hope a really good game or two bundled.

... Just Do It!!!

I have been saying these things for a while.  Sony nearly did the same type of thing and they weren't even doing that bad.  WAKE UP NINTENDO!

Around the Network

One company can't carry a platform on their own.

Go list the PS4 or X1 release schedules and instead of their 3rd party support, substitute in Nintendo's 3rd party support.

Then come back and tell me how you think those systems would sell.

Nintendo never properly addressed the loss of Rare IMO ... the gimmick success of the Wii just shielded them from reality for a few years. 

Nintendo cannot win back third party developers. They already put out the console. All Nintendo can do is keep putting out games and increasing the marketing.

Soundwave said:

One company can't carry a platform on their own.

Go list the PS4 or X1 release schedules and instead of their 3rd party support, substitute in Nintendo's 3rd party support.

Then come back and tell me how you think those systems would sell.

Nintendo never properly addressed the loss of Rare IMO ... the gimmick success of the Wii just shielded them from reality for a few years. 

QFT

No they cant which is why they work together with the 3rd parties, why cant ninty ???

A redesign of the gamepad (so it doesn't look like a prototype) is something that needs to be done and drop backwards compatability in order to cut cost, VC is there for backwards compatibility.
Also trying to get casuals back on board is a long shot I don't see those 60+ year olds buying another Wii.
And they should drop all advertising that features Wii motion controllers it only serves to confuse.

When it comes to games it's a bit late for them to fix that. Nintendo had the chance to buy developers (preferably western devs) when they were rolling in cash during the Wii's prime.

If Nintendo had the business mentality to invest in a successful future rather than protect against furture failures ie the huge reserves of cash they horde they would not be in this situation.

^ Things change to quickly , you restructure all your management/talent and you turn into Sony

What NIntendo needs to do? Keep pushing out the WiiU. Its sold 5 million in 2013 alone. They basically sold that doing absolutely nothing. So they gotta push harder